Lent is almost here...

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Praying for the church cause this particular lent and the Easter that follows will be of significant importance perhaps the most significant one in a thousand years.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
No television.
No politics.
No Facebook.
No pop, sweets.
No (stop) smoking.
No pool.
No (stop) swearing.
Make every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday Divine Service.
Complete fast on Wednesdays (with exception of water of course).
Actually keep the no meat on Fridays fast.
Read the entirety of the NT in a translation I haven't read yet.
1,000 Jesus Prayers a day (min) for me, a sinner, and 1,000 more said on behalf of others, minus the sinner part.
Help at least one random stranger a day, whether it be labor, giving to the needy, advice, sharing my story with someone in AA etc.

That's what I have so far. I'm going to push my limits and truly test myself a draw closer to God.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I was warned not to say this prayer without supervision and guidance. Lol

I had mentioned a prayer rope and the discussion morphed. I think it was a few Orthodox being dramatic.
Yep. But then you read online about their own priests saying it's wonderful that non-Orthodox are using the rope and prayer. The laity can be funny about these things. Sometimes I get the impression that they think the prayer belongs to them because they use it the most.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
How many of us are going to give up CF for Lent? That might be a true test of obedience to the Lord? :)
Not really. CF is where we can glorify him and post our progress.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am making the effort to pray for my enemies, especially those in political power. This would include Putin and other foreign govt govt heads. And of course those here at home. That Gods will be done and hearts are softened. Also I pray for my personal adversaries that they be blessed. Also daily meditatio of th 23 psalm. I intend to do this every day during lent.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How many of us are going to give up CF for Lent? That might be a true test of obedience to the Lord? :)

One member used to do that every lent. He always did it too.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At church yesterday there was a representative from Food for the Poor. I think I'm going to cut back on how often I get fast food and coffee and donate the money I save.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I will, of course, continue the 100 days of prayer for our country, using the Sisters of Mercy's intention calendar. It's interesting that 100 days brings us all through Lent--all the way to April 30.

https://www.sistersofmercy.org/file...-100-Days-Prayer-Calendar--February-15-28.pdf

Today's intention: That refugees be resettled based on vulnerability and need, not rejected based on nationality or religion.

I am going to attend a class on the psalms, and go to the ecumenical Lenten luncheons each week. We are having a World Day of Prayer in early March.

My fairly small parish has just started a choir--one of my favorite things about getting ready for Holy Days is the music, so this is exciting for me.

Personally, I am going through a step study at Celebrate Recovery (a Christian recovery program for all hurts, hangups, and bad habits...) and we are about to embark on working on the fourth step--that will require a lot of reflection and soul searching, and I think Lent is a good time for that.

As Tom Booth sings in "Change Me," "Change me, Lord, and I will change the world." (See below).

Upvote 0