Least Common Denominator of being Anabaptist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenewedbyFaith

Dec 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
✟15,302.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, Much better name for this group and what seems to be the intent of the "founders."

But they could also make a "simple life" or "old order" or plain dress, but do these folks have computers hooked up to the phone at the end of the lane, or powered by the generator in the milch haus? Or do they go to the Library of the "English" and log on to the computer there? How does that work?

Most of my Amish relatives have cell phones. They charge them in the barn, where they are required to have electric service to run the milk coolers, or in the wood shop, where they use electricity to run the saws, planes and other power tools, or they charge them at their family's restaurant or store, or they run an extension cord from the neighbors or ask their livery driver if they can charge their phones in the van while they are riding to the store or wherever they are going.

Many even have computers in their places of business. One Amish seed company does business almost exclusively on the internet now. They don't have a landline phone, but they have a website.

I don't know any Amish that are completely outside the power grid anymore, although 20 years ago, very few had electric service.

You have heard about the Amish purchasing solar panels to power their houses, haven't you? It's a big new trend. And wind generators are getting to be popular now.

The days of the Amish being totally isolated from the world are probably over. Even if they didn't have electricity and cell phones, they depend on Englisher van drivers and bus drivers to get around and they operate businesses whose primary customers are non-Amish. Even the ones who still farm depend on the local grain elevator to sell enough of their crops to pay their bills and taxes. They are as dependent on the global economy now as the rest of us.

Upvote 0

Floodnut

Veteran
Jun 23, 2005
Winona Lake, INDIANA
Visit site
✟1,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know that during Viet Nam, it was no sure thing to be granted CO status just cz you were in a peace church. It depended on the local draft board and some were very narrow and cruel. Also, many in the Church of the Bretheren refused to even register for the draft and did time in jail.

Upvote 0

rockytrails

Jun 5, 2007
south western United states
✟15,532.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You say there has to be room for the totality of Anabaptists, yet you do not seem especially welcoming of conservative/traditional Anabaptists. If people are interested in Pentecostalism or Eastern Orthodox or Fundamentalism or Baptist or Catholic or Reformed or liberal they can participate in the CF forums for those groups. Someone set up a group to include (exclusively) Anabpatists. There are people whose beliefs do not fit in with the other groups but who share a commonality identified as "Anabaptist". This forum should not exclude Anabpatists in order to be inclusive, don't you agree?

Now, does "Anabaptist" by your definition include Amish, Hutterite, Conservative Mennonites and Conservative Dunkards/Brethren?
thats our doing we taught them Luthers German was best.

Upvote 0

rockytrails

Jun 5, 2007
south western United states
✟15,532.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What, in your opinion, are the commonmost doctrines or principles or practices that make a person or church "Anabaptist"? What constitutes "irreducible Anabaptism", beyond which a person cannot claim to be Anabaptist. I'm curious to get some opinions.

i know I know I kow I finaly know the answer to one
a person can't claim to be annabaptist if he or she has been
naughty and been

subscribing to the lutheran confessions

and the pope dont like us eather in fact he says we lutherans that subscribe to the lutheran confessions
can't go to heaven

every one thinks were naughty perhaps even haughty

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
i like to think that being anabap may not be defined by doctrines principles or practices (of religion)

as it is written in Scripture "G_d hates religion, but He loves people".

some anabaps may be religious, but that won't save them, will it ?
being born again is what may save them. no creed, no confessions, no doctrines will save them (look how those 3 breed contempt and pride and confusion and wicked competition).

some anabaps may be saved, some not.
same with other denoms.
how to have true fellowship with those abiding in the Master
is only taught by a very very rare few, watchman nee being the best known that i've heard of. (and religious folk hate w.nee, won't listen to him nor to G_d, just as Jesus said would happen).

a better way or another way to put the question might be :
what makes a person a martyr ? or not ?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.