Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So are you saying the first century church did not have a name?

As I said, JS received revelation as to what the name of the church should be in the latter days. I think it is appropriate. But there are other churches with Jesus in the name, so I am sure it is confusing to you, which one is the true church of Jesus Christ.

No, I'm not confused. The Mormons couldn't decide on a name for their organization until multiple attempts had been made.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
As a good practicing Mormon, you have to have a testimony of JS.

We do follow his teachings as he recieves them from Jesus Christ.

If JS still lived, and he said he was moving the headquarters of the church to Canada, I would follow him there. So yes there is a concept of following JS, but it is in conjuction of following him as a Prphet of Jesus Christ.

If Jesus still lived and he said he was moving his church to Canada, I would follow him to Canada. But I am following him as my Lord and Savior, and I worship him also.

There is a big difference in following a prophet of God and following the Lord and Savior, can you see it?

Sorry, you're spinning your wheels. Per Mormonism, there is no eternal life without Joseph Smith, the polytheist.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Emma never accepted that the Lord had commanded her husband to practice plural marriage. It is true that JS did marry Fanny. It is true Fanny's family gave their concent. It is true that Fanny's family followed BY to SLC and stayed in the church. It is true Fanny's brother stayed in the church and practiced plural marriage himself.
It is true that Emma did force her to leave, and go to another place.
It is true that JS and Fanny did not have a life together because of Emma and some other people that thought JS had committed adultry.

But what anti-Mormons want to do is make the story sound as sinful as they possibly can. So JS never married Fanny, just had an affair. JS hid the affair from the public, which he did not, her family being members of the church and giving consent to the marriage. JS committed adultery. Not if he married Fanny by the authority of the priesthood of God for time or for time and all eternity.

So why did Emma stay with JS?
So why did the followers of JS not lynch him on the spot?
So why did Fanny's family stay members of the church and move to SLC?

It is because JS's marriage to Fanny was ordered by Jesus Christ, who sent an angel to JS to pressure him to start living plural marriage so the church could gain membership much faster than ordingary monogamous marriages, so it could spread throughout the world in a much shorter time frame, and it worked. God does know what he is doing.

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We don't go around hiding things. If you come to Sunday school you learn all about what happens in the temple, before you make a committment to take on important covenants. Covenants that you will be more committed to living a life like Jesus Christ and the bible depicts. I hope that doesn't bother you to try to be more like Jesus.
Things are hidden (Ive posted some of the scripts of the actual temple rituals to prove it) things are kept from members until they have been baptised and in the church for a significant period of time.

That's deceptive. People have a right to know what they will be required to believe and participate in BEFORE they are required to believe it, not a year after they join a church. The ceremonies at the LDS temple are very confronting and very different to anything you experience in the regular ward. For some people the rituals come as quite a shock they never want anything to do with it again.

Jesus didn't teach secret handshakes, special names and garments to gain entry into the Celestial Kingdom, he also didn't teach give 10% of your coin to the LDS church to make sure you meet the requirement to go to the temple and learn said secret handshakes

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, you're spinning your wheels. Per Mormonism, there is no eternal life without Joseph Smith, the polytheist.
Your right, for those born in the last dispensation, all who gain EL will do it with a testimony that Jesus is the Christ and Savior of the world and that his prophet is JS and other prophets, even to the present prophet Russell Nelson.

It is this way because Jesus Christ has given the priesthood authority to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, and it is through that authority of the sealing power that one is sealed into EL. Any other way is fraudulent and fruitless. God is a God of order, not a God of chaos.
Therefore during the first century, all had to have the testimony of Jesus as the Lord and Savior of the world and that his prophet Peter and other prophets were essential.
In fact Matthew 19:28 tells us that the 12 apostles will be placed on thrones and judge the 12 tribes of Israel. That is a large, large group of people. So the idea that the first prophet since Peter would be helping Jesus judge people of the last dispensation is not unreasonable.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Those names they get in the temple --- if you forget your name --- you give them the date you got it, they look at what gender you are and look up the date because all females received the same name that day. Same situation for the males

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, so someone said they taught me the basics here at CF. My posts from previous years are still here.

Some familiar names in those old threads.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You shouldn't have to defend yourself in this way, Phoebe Ann. Your posts stand for themselves, in the best way possible.

We should all remember (myself included...) that if we have a disagreement with someone, it ought to be expressed in non-personal ways if at all possible. If you don't like a poster's ideas, then talk about those ideas.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Those names they get in the temple --- if you forget your name --- you give them the date you got it, they look at what gender you are and look up the date because all females received the same name that day. Same situation for the males
So it's kind of like the movie Bubble Boy where everyone is named Todd or Lorraine.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Joseph Smith had Scribes, thats how the Book of Mormon was written down wasn't it? So are you saying we can't trust the scribes? Or that we can only trust them when the LDS church want us to trust them? Doesn't that logic put the Book of Mormon in a discardable light?

If we can't trust the Scribes then we can't trust mormonism at all, they can't have it both ways
I am not saying we can't trust scribes. When the Book of Mormon was transcribed it was corrected as they went along. That didn't happen with the first vision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Christians are true believers, not dogs.

Marriage is until God us do part.

The Sadducees, who didn't believe in the resurrection, questioned Jesus.

Matthew 22
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels* of God in heaven. But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, 32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. 33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

*Angels are not married.
The sealings must be performed in our earthly bodies:

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 11:11)

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Corrected by whom?
Corrected by the Holy Ghost. "The dictation flowed smoothly. From the surviving portions of the Original Manuscript it appears that Joseph dictated about a dozen words at a time. Oliver would read those words back for verification, and then they would go on. Emma later added that after a meal or a night's rest, Joseph would begin, without prompting, where he had previously left off (The Saints' Herald 26 [Oct. 1, 1879]:290). No time was taken for research, internal cross-checking, or editorial rewriting. In 1834 Oliver wrote: "These were days never to be forgotten-to sit under the sound of a voice dictated by the inspiration of heaven, awakened the utmost gratitude of this bosom! Day after day I continued, uninterrupted, to write from his mouth as he translated" (Messenger and Advocate 1 [Oct. 1834]:14)."
From: http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Book_of_Mormon_Translation_By_Joseph_Smith

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If that's the case, then why have there been so many changes to it since the original 1830 edition? Why wouldn't the Holy Ghost have gotten it right in the first place?

Even LDS sources admit that these changes have taken place, though they attempt to explain them away, and are anyway not as scrupulous about tracking the many, many changes (some say almost 4,000, some say 1,500 "potential changes", while admitting also 105,000 [yes, that is the number] "places of variation"; obviously these numbers vary according to what you count as a change, and how you tally those) as others are, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.