godenver1

Christian
Jul 12, 2015
✟29,119.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I've been reading a bit online, but cannot find a clear answer. Is it similar to the Catholic position of 'intrinsically disordered and a result of the fall, but not in and of itself sinful'?

I'm aware that these confessional Lutheran bodies refer to any homosexual action in word, thought, deed and desire to be sinful, but is the orientation in itself considered sinful by LCMS/WELS Christians?

Not looking for a debate on the matter, just clarification as to the position of these Lutheran sects.

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been reading a bit online, but cannot find a clear answer. Is it similar to the Catholic position of 'intrinsically disordered and a result of the fall, but not in and of itself sinful'?

First, I think that you are incorrect in thinking that “intrinsically disordered” leaves room for considering it “not in and of itself sinful” but that is a discussion for another time. All aspects of homosexuality are considered sinful in the LCMS. We do not ordain or marry them. I would presume the WELS position is very similar to ours.

The ELCA does ordain and marry homosexuals.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
“intrinsically disordered”

I assume that's an attempt to use clinical language to say, "born that way". In the minds of some that excuses the behavior. The problem is, we're all born that way as far as our inclination toward sin goes.

It should be clarified that the reason for the LCMS position is that when one declares oneself to be homosexual, it implies an unrepentant attitude. Were a person to have homosexual temptations, yet acknowledge the sinfulness of those temptations, and do their best to abstain, they are accepted just like any other sinner. There is no ranking of sins (cardinal, venal, or otherwise) that makes homosexuality worse than other sins - though some religious communities do seem to obsess over this one.

The whole topic is curious for the way in which the category has established itself. People have come to think of it as a character trait rather than a behavior. But maybe that's not unique. We also have a tendency to refer to a robber rather than a person who committed an act of robbery. Still, I don't hear Lady Gaga singing a song about people's "robberness" and how we need to accept them because they were born that way.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I assume that's an attempt to use clinical language to say, "born that way".

I've never heard anyone use the term that way. It means that the attraction is disordered in itself, i.e. inherently, rather than as a result of some accidental circumstance. Here is the context of the quote godenver gave:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Upvote 0