Not open for further replies.

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What is happening at the convention - anyone?

Nothing yet. It doesn't start until next month.

When are the elections taking place?

After the BRTFSSG mess is dealt with, although I think they should be first. The outcome of the elections could have a great impact on whether or not the BRTFSSG proposals will even be carried out.

Do you expect any fallout over the lawsuit from the Oakland 4? And what will happen when Harrison is the new litagant in the fray? Would he walk away?

I'm sure that the far-right will try and make it an issue, even though it isn't a synodical issue but a congregational issue (despite the far-right's insistance that it is).

Upvote 0

RadMan

Aug 22, 2007
Missouri
✟5,227.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There are a lot of the "middle of the roaders" in LCMS. If they stay in the middle they can waffle back and forth between the two sides and not commit to anything. If anything goes wrong then they can blame either the liberals or ultra conservatives and keep the heat off themselves. They can also deny hot topics and say "it's not important" and then use arguments from both sides to hide behind and thereby not be nailed down for a concrete opinion.That's a blanket statement and not necessararily true of all of them. Some of them do absolutely nothing and hide their heads in the sand.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There are basically two camps in the LCMS. There are those out on the extremes (both left and right) that use lies, deceit, and trickery in order to bolster their viewpoints. And there are those who stand for the truth and truly wish to see the synod be the Confessional church body that it was meant to be. If we could eliminate the lies, deceit, and trickery, the synod has a much better chance of being that Confessional church body instead of the fractured mess that it is.

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are basically two camps in the LCMS. There are those out on the extremes (both left and right) that use lies, deceit, and trickery in order to bolster their viewpoints. And there are those who stand for the truth and truly wish to see the synod be the Confessional church body that it was meant to be. If we could eliminate the lies, deceit, and trickery, the synod has a much better chance of being that Confessional church body instead of the fractured mess that it is.

Could you elaborate on this fractured mess I am thinking of leaving the ELCA to join? Maybe I'll just go Baptist....

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Could you elaborate on this fractured mess I am thinking of leaving the ELCA to join? Maybe I'll just go Baptist....

The divisions that exist in the LCMS lie more with practical aspects than with doctrinal issues, although application of doctrine is an issue as well (which exist within any church body). It has more to do with politics than anything else.

Upvote 0

BoC

Feb 15, 2010
✟280.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hang in there till the elections and see if Harrison wins. If he does it will still take a couple of years to straighten things out since Kieshnick's entourage are pretty well entrenched. The individual congregations are still autonomous of the synod so you just need to find a good conservative confessional one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hang in there till the elections and see if Harrison wins. If he does it will still take a couple of years to straighten things out since Kieshnick's entourage are pretty well entrenched. The individual congregations are still autonomous of the synod so you just need to find a good conservative confessional one.

What's wrong with Kieshnick? Honest question, I know nothing except he's the head honcho.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Not enough, I guess. Sorry about that, forget it, I'll take your word for it.

As an outsider (of LCMS, but a part of it for 55+ years), I would not recommend that course of action. You are a capable, intelligent human who cares about the Christian faith as confessed by Lutherans. Part of the problems in the LCMS over the past 60 years has been willingness to "take someone's word for it."

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As an outsider (of LCMS, but a part of it for 55+ years), I would not recommend that course of action. You are a capable, intelligent human who cares about the Christian faith as confessed by Lutherans. Part of the problems in the LCMS over the past 60 years has been willingness to "take someone's word for it."

Just a thought.

I presume K is liberal in some undefined way(s?), so people who frequent this forum don't like him. When I read posts about this stuff all I see are a bunch of acronyms that mean nothing to me (BRTFSSG?), even though I"ve tried looking them up.

As I haven't joined the LCMS yet, I guess I will just wait and ask people in my local LCMS churches what they think and decide if I should join or not. I sure don't want to get in a mess like the ELCA has all over again. Are all Lutheran synods really that messed up? God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As I haven't joined the LCMS yet, I guess I will just wait and ask people in my local LCMS churches what they think and decide if I should join or not.

I would strongly recommend that you do that. Talk with the pastor and members of the local church you are considering.

I sure don't want to get in a mess like the ELCA has all over again. Are all Lutheran synods really that messed up? God bless!

No. As I said before, the problems in the LCMS are more political than doctrinal. The official doctrinal stance of the LCMS is on the money. It's how individual congregations practice it that's the concern of many. It is our prayer that a change in synodical leadership (which is badly needed) will begin the work of bringing the entire synod back to proper teaching and practice.

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would strongly recommend that you do that. Talk with the pastor and members of the local church you are considering.

No. As I said before, the problems in the LCMS are more political than doctrinal. The official doctrinal stance of the LCMS is on the money. It's how individual congregations practice it that's the concern of many. It is our prayer that a change in synodical leadership (which is badly needed) will begin the work of bringing the entire synod back to proper teaching and practice.

Thank you for this explanation. I just wrote my letter asking to be considered iinactive in my ELCA congregation, and resigning from my committees and other obligations there. I will give it to the council president tomorrow. No turning back now.

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think?

To pastor XXXXX, the church council, and to whomever else it may concern.
The ELCA has continued to move in directions that I believe are contrary to the Holy Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions. As XXXXXXX Lutheran Church is a member of this Synod, I am bound by conscience to ask to be considered an inactive member. I hereby resign my positions on the Congregation Council, personnel committee, XXXXXXX Lutheran men, and praise team. My son XXXXX has indicated to me he would like to be considered inactive, also.
I greatly appreciate the felllowship and support I have found at XXXXXXX over the years, and harbor no bad feelings for anyone, nor will I speak ill of any member here. May God bless each of you.
XXXXX XXXXXXX

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.