Dec 8, 2007
✟831,135.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
FYI, LCMS is in Canada, the congregation I attend is Home - Lutheran Church–Canada
The LCMS is in Canada but only as "English District" congregations.

Lutheran Church Canada is in fellowship with the LCMS, but it is autonomous. While still officially "congregationalist" our polity is quite different.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟749,899.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The LCMS is in Canada but only as "English District" congregations.

Lutheran Church Canada is in fellowship with the LCMS, but it is autonomous. While still officially "congregationalist" our polity is quite different.
I am attending a congregation in the English District.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟569,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
This all dates back to some synodical history I am a bit foggy on. There was an English synod that seems to have originated within the Tennessee Synod in the mid 1800s. Also an English contingent within Ohio Synod that later became part of the first ALC. It's interesting to me because I live in Ohio and there are still a fair number of parishes around incorporating 'first English' into their name.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟831,135.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You are correct
This all dates back to some synodical history I am a bit foggy on. There was an English synod that seems to have originated within the Tennessee Synod in the mid 1800s. Also an English contingent within Ohio Synod that later became part of the first ALC. It's interesting to me because I live in Ohio and there are still a fair number of parishes around incorporating 'first English' into their name.
You are correct, a District without geographic borders defined by language; I believe that the "Slovak Synod" was similar in that it was language based rather than geographic in nature.
I am attending a congregation in the English District.
We have one very close to where I am, Grace Mitchell. Their Pastor is LCC. I did a little research and it seems there are 12 ED congregations in Canada; all in Ontario. Churches | The English District - LCMS
It is nice to see another Canadian here!!

Mark

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟749,899.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You are correct

You are correct, a District without geographic borders defined by language; I believe that the "Slovak Synod" was similar in that it was language based rather than geographic in nature.

We have one very close to where I am, Grace Mitchell. Their Pastor is LCC. I did a little research and it seems there are 12 ED congregations in Canada; all in Ontario. Churches | The English District - LCMS
It is nice to see another Canadian here!!

Mark
I avoided the local Lutheran congregation thinking it was super liberal. Once I learned what LCMS meant I was relieved.

Upvote 0