Lawmakers: Women Here Have to Make Pre-Abortion Phone Call

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
A bill now heading to Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson's desk will require women who want an abortion to call a dedicated hotline before they do so. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that the state Senate on Thursday voted 28-5 to pass the "Every Mom Matters Act," House-backed legislation that, if signed by the Republican Hutchinson, would set up a toll-free hotline that would lay out available options for women if they choose to continue with their pregnancies.

Arkansas lawmakers require call to hotline before abortions

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I often felt if women knew they had other options they would likely take them. I also known of women who choose abortion and are still hunted by this. They do warn these women of that risk.

You don't think that pregnant women don't already know they could give birth and give up the baby for adoption? I suspect *most* of them already know that.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't think that pregnant women don't already know they could give birth and give up the baby for adoption? I suspect *most* of them already know that.

Those who I've met who regretted their abortions did not know they were killing a child, they were told it was only tissue that was being removed. They also felt trapped though the reasons why each felt this way was different.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I often felt if women knew they had other options they would likely take them. I also known of women who choose abortion and are still hunted by this. They do warn these women of that risk.
I feel that adults get to make their own medical choices, women included, and laws like this seek to legally infantilize a section of the population.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Those who I've met who regretted their abortions did not know they were killing a child, they were told it was only tissue that was being removed. They also felt trapped though the reasons why each felt this way was different.

If someone doesn't realize that pregnancy is how babies are made and an abortion ends a pregnancy then perhaps they aren't quite ready to be mothers.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
haha! The foster system in the US is already barely running shambles.

If abortions were made illegal, you'd be finding babies ALL OVER the countryside folks; ditches, rivers. Just like in the old days. I mean, if you don't have the ability to feed the mouth, you get rid of the mouth as a matter of survival.

The options are:
1) Have the baby and keep it
2) Have the baby and give it away
3) Don't have the baby.

I'm sure the purpose of the phone call is to limit the likelihood of 3).
The only way to do that is to either pressure 2) OR figure out how to make 1) work.

If a mother is, for whatever reason, not willing to give their baby up for adoption, then it's just back to 1).

So really the only way to make 1) viable is to convince a mother that she has the:
1) Resilience
2) Community
3) Support
4) Finances
5) Lifestyle
that will make it possible to keep this baby.

If people already see this list as uninspiring in their own life, they will have a hard time being convinced by someone who is talking to them over the phone.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel that adults get to make their own medical choices, women included.

I give just one case: A woman who was married kept having affairs. She get pregnant, and then have an abortion to hide the affair from her husband. In time her actions caused her to seek out counseling and that is where I meet her in group counseling.

Through counseling she discovered she been molested and suppressed this. This was why she was doing that self destructive behavior. Through counseling she was able to uncover her father's actions and later her husband joined her and together they rebuilt their marriage and the affairs ended.

Thus, even though her abortions were evil, and murder, this evil in time helped her see the why behind her bad drives. Its easy to judge those who make mistakes, because they felt pressure from situations, or relatives or employers, that seem to limit their choice. A lost of a marriage, boy friend, job, being kick out of the house, these are the reasons they felt trapped and being unable to really step into their shoes, I cannot judge them, only pray for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
haha! The foster system in the US is already barely running shambles.

If abortions were made illegal, you'd be finding babies ALL OVER the countryside folks; ditches, rivers. Just like in the old days. I mean, if you don't have the ability to feed the mouth, you get rid of the mouth as a matter of survival.

The options are:
1) Have the baby and keep it
2) Have the baby and give it away
3) Don't have the baby.

I'm sure the purpose of the phone call is to limit the likelihood of 3).
The only way to do that is to either pressure 2) OR figure out how to make 1) work.

If a mother is, for whatever reason, not willing to give their baby up for adoption, then it's just back to 1).

So really the only way to make 1) viable is to convince a mother that she has the:
1) Resilience
2) Community
3) Support
4) Finances
5) Lifestyle
that will make it possible to keep this baby.

If people already see this list as uninspiring in their own life, they will have a hard time being convinced by someone who is talking to them over the phone.

I also know of one who choose to have her child and give him up for adoption and she had all the support you named. If we really want to end abortion we need to make it worth woman taking that risk to go in another direction.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I feel that adults get to make their own medical choices, women included, and laws like this seek to legally infantilize a section of the population.
This might actually be the ultimate act of mansplaining.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I also know of one who choose to have her child and give him up for adoption and she had all the support you named. If we really want to end abortion we need to make it worth woman taking that risk to go in another direction.
If you REALLY want to end abortion, make birth control 100% free.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I give just one case: A woman who was married kept having affairs. She get pregnant, and then have an abortion to hide the affair from her husband. In time her actions caused her to seek out counseling and that is where I meet her in group counseling.

Through counseling she discovered she been molested and suppressed this. This was why she was doing that self destructive behavior. Through counseling she was able to uncover her father's actions and later her husband joined her and together they rebuilt their marriage and the affairs ended.

Thus, even though her abortions were evil, and murder, this evil in time helped her see the why behind her bad drives. Its easy to judge those who make mistakes, because they felt pressure from situations, or relatives or employers, that seem to limit their choice. A lost of a marriage, boy friend, job, being kick out of the house, these are the reasons they felt trapped and being unable to really step into their shoes, I cannot judge them, only pray for them.
I fail to see what this story has got to do with a law making women sit through a phone lecture about "their options".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This might actually be the ultimate act of mansplaining.

Must you? My ocular muscles are still trying to recover from all the eye rolling I have done these past four years.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And we should acknowledge that it is a risk to go in another direction, at least, it is here in America.

Maternal Mortality and Maternity Care in the United States Compared to 10 Other Developed Countries
Pregnancy Mortality Surveillance System | Maternal and Infant Health | CDC

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you REALLY want to end abortion, make birth control 100% free.

Wouldn't work, birth control, is either abortive or unsafe or it has weaknesses. thus children happen. My sister has three children she got while on birth control.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wouldn't work, birth control, is either abortive or unsafe or it has weaknesses. thus children happen. My sister has three children she got while on birth control.
It reduced the teen pregnancy and abortion rate (PDF) in Colorado by almost half.

But let's not get bogged down in what works to reduce the abortion rate and loose sight of whats really important, punishing women for having sex.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It reduced the teen pregnancy and abortion rate (PDF) in Colorado by almost half.

But let's not get bogged down in what works to reduce and aboriton rate and loose sight of whats really important, punishing women for having sex.

That is also the problem of birth control. My sister would have been on the other half and she used it. It having sex, but she was married at the time so no harm. Still woman aren't they only ones having sex, and in the Bible they punished them both!

Upvote 0