Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Just wanted to officially announce that the RTA and the State Government have finally agreed on the perfect entrance to the Lane Cove Tunnel... after much deliberation and a little destruction, it was found the best place for the entrance was underneath a suburban unit block. the first signs of the new opening could be seen this morning as the gaping hole - sorry, entrance - gloriously swallowed the bottom floor of an apartment. Just as soon as the upper floors have fallen into the tunnel the approach routes will be constructed immediately and commuters are expected to have access to the tunnel by next week.

- Drew aka LW with tongue firmly planted in cheek... now for the real story, click here

- O dear, is anyone concerned that the IRISH are reporting this??? How bad does this make us look!!!!

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
uh, the prospect of the NSW government is looking grimmer everyday... sometimes i wonder whether it's all the bad circumstances or just incompetence.

my bro was jerking with his fellow engineering friend today about it. Just borrow the plan of another tunnel and fit it in here, they're all the same, just tunnels!

you wouldn't believe how 'casually' handled things are. *remembering some inside scope of tower building from bro*

Upvote 0

KristianJ

What's in a name? Letters...
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney, Australia
✟35,788.00
Faith
Christian
Blessed-one said:
my bro was jerking with his fellow engineering friend today about it. Just borrow the plan of another tunnel and fit it in here, they're all the same, just tunnels!

That would definitely be the height of casual...convenience and good safe tunnel design can't coexist most of the time. Lucky it wasn't whilst the tunnel was in operation and the collapsing section fell on a few cars in peak hour.

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

My soul dances in freedom, my heart forever sings
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
KristianJ said:
Typical solution! :p Having learned about tunnelling in one of my uni subjects this semester, I'm half keen to go and check this "proposal" out! ^_^
Mr Engineer! I think they might need your expertise! Especially in working out how to get the rest of the building to fall into the hole - I mean tunnel.

Blessed-one said:
uh, the prospect of the NSW government is looking grimmer everyday... sometimes i wonder whether it's all the bad circumstances or just incompetence.
hahahahaha you're so right... I think it's incompetence leading to bad circumstance - o sorry, that's not right it was an "unforeseen geological event" - but wait, I thought they knew they were digging a tunnel ^_^

Yah that's probably it! Someone else said it somewhere... why in Sydney, which is like twice as busy as Melbourne, do we build all these cool roads that are just too narrow? Why so few lanes... O that's right, I have heard that the engineers who design Sydney freeways can only count to two...

hey if anyone doesn't believe me... we are the laughing stock of the world... just google lane cove tunnel collapse into the news and you'll see we've made the news on Bloomberg, Reuters, plus in Italy, NZ, and YES even Ireland... :doh:

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
O by the way just heard a newsflash on the radio... the balcony which you may have seen hanging at a weird angle above the tunnel entrance... it's just fallen it. Only about a week and the approach routes into the tunnel can be constructed :D ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Kristian said:
That would definitely be the height of casual...convenience and good safe tunnel design can't coexist most of the time. Lucky it wasn't whilst the tunnel was in operation and the collapsing section fell on a few cars in peak hour.

now someone would seriously get injured...

LivingWorship said:
Yah that's probably it! Someone else said it somewhere... why in Sydney, which is like twice as busy as Melbourne, do we build all these cool roads that are just too narrow? Why so few lanes... O that's right, I have heard that the engineers who design Sydney freeways can only count to two...

why? because Mr settlers all patterned the design of the city after England, and it's hard to blame. I would've done it too. Can't see the problem till the city expands.

Melbourne's crazy! i can't remember what it's like there, but from what i heard from bro, they've tramps and cars and pedestrians all on the same road! quite exhilarating. ^_^

*sorry, that was meant to be 'joking', not 'jerking' in my previous post.

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Lucky 4 u, wings... was it just me or does any traffic remotely citybound seem to be gridlocked because of the tunnel fiasco? I went from Blacktown to Parramatta this morning and it was so packed at the Cumberland Highway... so glad I ducked and weaved a few back streets, I would never have made it to work had I waited in the traffic!^_^

Upvote 0