Nov 6, 2003
Round Rock, TX
Visit site
✟7,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hey all, i've been reading through some of these threads that some people don't think that Lahaye and Jenkins (LB) are being true Christians?

can those that think this way expand a bit more? i don't know the history of these two other than them being the authors of the LB series.

Thanks!

dp

Reactions: singingshanti

HappyPrincess

Soon To Be Wife
Mar 11, 2004
Pacific Northwest
✟195.00
Faith
Baptist
IMHO, the Left Behind books are popular.

They also are FIRMLY behind the pre-Tribulation rapture, which some people are firmly against.

Therefore, you will have your people that disagree with someone's stance and decide they can't be Christians and think that way.

And you will have your people that think too much emphasis is put on prophecy and end times and thus think they aren't Christians because they (The people who are thinking this) think that the Left Behind books are the reason for all the focus on end times stuff.

Oh and you have the people who don't believe Jesus is ever coming back and thus, again, think these guys aren't Christians cause of not agreeing with them.

Upvote 0

WildHeart75

Faithful Servant
Nov 7, 2002
Oklahoma
✟15,531.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I haven't read any of the LB series but I do have a Jerry B.Jenkins/Tim LaHaye book called "Are we living in the end times". Although I do not agree with everything in the book, I do not see how people can say they are not christians. Everything I've read from them thus far has been from a christians point of view. They've really done their research comparing the Torah and The NT concerning end times prophecy, however I am still uncertain about the whole rapture thing.

Upvote 0

jenptcfan

My cup runneth over
Jun 15, 2002
✟14,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have to remember that the Left Behind books are works of FICTION. They might portray a different tribulation view than someone might believe, but at best we're all just making educated guesses about when the tribulation will happen anyway.

I happen to like the books. I thought they were enjoyable reads. But I never thought of combing over them as if I were trying to find doctrinal errors---if I wanted to do that, I would read something non-fiction. :)

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For those Christians who dislike the Left Behind series, one of the key reasons (the biggest for me especially) they dislike them and call them non-Christian is because they are chiliastic.

To many (if not most) orthodox Christians, chiliasm (sometimes called "millenniarianism") was a heresy that was condemned in the Second Ecumenical Council because of its heavy traits in other heresies of the time (Apollinarians especially from what I've heard). It rejects, to me and to those who agree with me, that there is only one Resurrection (which is firmly stated in the Creeds; not many, but ONE), only one Judgment (again, see the Creeds), and, perhaps most importantly of all, only one Second Coming.

Are these books good fiction? I have no doubt that they are to millions of devout readers. However, I find their theology disturbing (and very anti-Catholic [and by association, anti-E/O Orthodox, anti-Lutheran, and anti-Anglican]).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I've read the Left Behind series, and from my understanding it's a fictionalized account of something some Christians believe will happen. There is no way to determine what someone believes from reading their fiction novels. I do think both explain faith and love of God well, more accurately then someone who was not a believer could.

Upvote 0