USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone here know of a source that might say anything about knowledge of the term / title Logos in the 19th century CofE? Churchmen, obviously, but I mean among parishioners with a bit of education or reading.

Also, same question re: Christ God and overlap of term Logos with the logos-demiurge of Philo. Anything?

Thank you very much!

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,481.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would have thought most men (it would have been men) with an education in classics would have a bit of knowledge. I recall, for example, stories of a generation long past by the time I was at college, where the classics students would each day be required to translate the newspaper editorial first into Latin, then into (ancient) Greek. I don't expect you could reach that level of proficiency without a nodding acquaintance with some of those key concepts.

In terms of a written source, though, I'd have to go digging. I recall reading somewhere that Branwell Brontë was considered something of a prodigy because he could write with both hands simultaneously, with one hand in Latin and with one in Greek. But the knowledge of Greek in itself wasn't considered extraordinary for an educated gentleman of that era.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone here know of a source that might say anything about knowledge of the term / title Logos in the 19th century CofE?

You could try a Google Books search with keywords like "Philo", "Logos", and "Christ", and slap a 19th century time restriction on it.

Upvote 0