Kings James Version why the best ?

Christian12

Apr 16, 2012
✟228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have read many versions and I am completely sold on the KJV and have no doubts that it is dependable to the scriptures, and it is also more pleasurable to read , once you get used it . It does require a bit more thought in reading because it is not watered down as many other versions .
It has survived 400 years and been attacked at all levels and is still today the worlds all time best selling book . And God has blessed those that have used it .

and interesting article INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE KING JAMES BIBLE

another interesting article Fables And Facts: About The King James Bible

http://www.biblebelievers.com/Hyles1.html A Great sermon on why KJV a must read !

There are many reasons why KJV is best , add your own reason if you like .

Last edited:

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
I have read many versions and I am completely sold on the KJV and have no doubts that it is dependable to the scriptures, and it is also more pleasurable to read , once you get used it . It does require a bit more thought in reading because it is not watered down as many other versions .
It has survived 400 years and been attacked at all levels and is still today the worlds all time best selling book . And God has blessed those that have used it .

It survived that long because the church on a whole is very slow to change. The KJV is fine for older people who like William Shakespeare. It is fine in terms of the majority of what it translates, but does have some problems, mostly if terms of common vernacular and vocabulary.
The fact is the NIV has been the best selling Bible since 1986. Given other translations used like the NASB, HSCB, NKJV, NRSV and so on, the KJV is being phased out quicker than ever before. If we could all read and understand Greek and Hebrew, there would not be a problem. The fact is we don't, and I think it is incumbent on all believers today to find a translation that relates to them WHERE they live and work, not where their great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandparents lived.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Its a good translation. But today the English language is quite different form when it was first published, and we have many more manuscripts and background information than was available to the translators then.

No translation is perfect but all the good ones will be safe. Gordon Fees Book "How to Choose a Translation for all its Worth" is helpful.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Christian12

Apr 16, 2012
✟228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its a good translation. But today the English language is quite different form when it was first published, and we have many more manuscripts and background information than was available to the translators then.

No translation is perfect but all the good ones will be safe. Gordon Fees Book "How to Choose a Translation for all its Worth" is helpful.

John
NZ

Are you really sure about that ? "manuscripts " You know I think not ! There are many that are not considered inspired that I agree .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

He is simply inaccurate in some of his facts.

English is not a static language. What was 'perfect English' then is not the same as today's English, especially American English! (Sorry!!):)

We have much more by way of manuscripts and surrounding scholarship than was available to the KJV translators. Reliable evangelical NT scholars claim that the KJV has around 500 verses that had been inserted by various editors and copyists over the centuries.

In terms of sheer accuracy the TNIV and the up dated American Standard Bible are right up there a sfar as textual resources are concerned.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christian12

Apr 16, 2012
✟228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He is simply inaccurate in some of his facts.

English is not a static language. What was 'perfect English' then is not the same as today's English, especially American English! (Sorry!!):)

We have much more by way of manuscripts and surrounding scholarship than was available to the KJV translators. Reliable evangelical NT scholars claim that the KJV has around 500 verses that had been inserted by various editors and copyists over the centuries.

In terms of sheer accuracy the TNIV and the up dated American Standard Bible are right up there a sfar as textual resources are concerned.

John
NZ

I would disagree with you on most points The NIV is worthy of burning , unless they have improved it dramatically .

Yes people try to change the bibles saying they have more information , but not all people agree that those changes are consistent with approved texts .

Yes languages do change , but if in doubt about English I suggest you get a dictionary , it takes very little effort .

In canada we have french , but people in France say our french people speak not what they call french , but maybe slang french , but that does not change the french language as far as the French in France are concerned , maybe the
people in canada need a french dictionary too .

What you are saying does not work for me . Thanks though !

Upvote 0

Christian12

Apr 16, 2012
✟228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The KJV was way before my time and I have found no better yet , Please name a better one if you can , thanks !

Authorised Bible of the Anglican Church: NRSV/REB (I'm pretty sure there are others but I don't know them)
Scholarly literal translation: NRSV/NASB
Evangelical literal translation: ESV
Contemporary English translation: REB/CEV
Catholic Translation: NJB/CPDV/NAB
Public Domain Translation: WEB
Based on the same greek/hebrew text: NKJV

I think that covers most of the ways you can pigeonhole the KJV...

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
We certainly do not agree , so thanks for your time !

Check out this sermon Logic Must Prove the King James Bible

Did you even go to the link and read the article I posted? I went to this one you posted above. Dr. Jack Hyles? The same guy who said of his own Bible College, "Every teacher of Bible at Hyles-Anderson College is a preacher. We won't hire a theologian."

Maybe you should read this article; Doctrinal Errors/Heresies of Dr. Jack Hyles

I am fairly certain that Hyles commitment to the KJV was probably the best thing he ever did. He sure didn't practise what the KJV contained.
Is he gonna be surprised when he wakes up and finds out he was a goat all along!

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take Dan Wallace's opinion over Hyles any day of the year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Foghorn

Saved by grace
Mar 8, 2010
New England
Visit site
✟36,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The KJV is translated from the Textus Receptus, if you look into this you will find it is from Erasmus, a humanist, RC. Something to keep in mind also is when Erasmus was translating from the original, there were times when he had problems and so he referred too the Latin Vulgate, the Roman Catholic bible. So you will fine that there are some places where the KJV is the same as the VG. Some of the modern versions like NASB, ESV are more reliable.

I also like the KJV, but I prefer the NASB.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Foghorn said:
The KJV is translated from the Textus Receptus, if you look into this you will find it is from Erasmus, a humanist, RC. .
Remembering that the word "humanist" then meant something different. John Calvin was also a humanist.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Christian12 said:
The KJV was way before my time and I have found no better yet , Please name a better one if you can , thanks !

You would need to define your criteria.

Mine are that it should be in my language (contemporary English), translated from the best reconstructions of the original text we can manage using the best scholarship (lexical etc) now available. The KJV fails on all three.

Add a fourth, it should be in common English, not artificially raised to high literature.

Upvote 0

Foghorn

Saved by grace
Mar 8, 2010
New England
Visit site
✟36,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You would need to define your criteria.

Mine are that it should be in my language (contemporary English), translated from the best reconstructions of the original text we can manage using the best scholarship (lexical etc) now available. The KJV fails on all three.

Add a fourth, it should be in common English, not artificially raised to high literature.
+2

:)

Upvote 0