Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Initially, Saul was a hero. He was humble. God chose him to be the first king of God's people, 1 Samuel 10:
1 Then Samuel took a flask of olive oil and poured it on Saul’s head and kissed him, saying, “Has not the Lord anointed you ruler over his inheritance? ... 15 Saul’s uncle said, “Tell me what Samuel said to you.”
16 Saul replied, “He assured us that the donkeys had been found.” But he did not tell his uncle what Samuel had said about the kingship.
Saul was cool. Not many can contain such huge news from God.

He was decisive and courageous in his first military engagement (1 Samuel 11). He showed incredible leadership, fit to be the king.

Later, however, things changed for Saul. He disobeyed God, 1 Samuel 13:
13“You have done a foolish thing,” Samuel said. “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. 14But now your kingdom will not endure; the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.”

This was the beginning of Saul's character downfall. After this, he made one mistake after another. His tragic flaw was pride. He refused to accept David who was God's 2nd anointed to be king. He held on to his power to the bitter end.

I see Saul as a tragic hero and a foil for David's character.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agree with you.

Instead of having the fear of the Lord, Saul developed the fear of man.

It's shown "...And Saul said, Because I saw that the people were scattered from me, ..." and "...I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice." I Sam 13 and 15.

"The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe.' (Pro 29:25) KJV
"It is dangerous to be concerned with what others think of you, but if you trust the Lord, you are safe." GNT

Both Saul and David sinned and repented but Saul's heart was still to please the people.. Even when Samuel plainly told him why God was rejecting him, "Saul said, I have sinned; yet honor me now, I pray you, before the elders of my people and before Israel, and return with me, that I may worship the Lord your God." While David's heart was about pleasing Yahweh..

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt