chicago
✟8,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I know you have to admit you're a sinner, accept Jesus as your savior and repent for your sins.

But I'm not completely sure I did all that.

Like, is it really as simple as believing that Jesus died on the cross for my sins? That's it?

Also the bible wasn't written in english, so when it says you need to believe in Jesus to have eternal life, that could have been a mistranslation. What if the word wasn't believe? I'm feeling kinda paranoid now.

ssammoh

Just another kid
Aug 10, 2012
chicago
✟8,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It really is that simple. All you have to do is accept the gift that Jesus is offering...no strings, no conditions. He loves you and wants you to come to Him! Believe and have faith that through His grace you ARE SAVED.

So, all I have to do is say this, and mean it, and I'm saved right?

"I know I am a sinner who does not deserve to go to heaven, but Jesus died for me so I can go to heaven anyway. When I go to heaven it will not be because of anything good that I did for other people, but because I accepted Jesus's gift of salvation."

Upvote 0

lillivanilli

May the schwartz be with you.
Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As long as you believe it in your heart to be true.

We cannot be saved by works, no matter how good we are we will always be separated from God by sin. It is only through Christ Jesus that we are saved.

God knows your heart. He knows if you are truly repentant. Ask forgiveness, then feel secure in the knowledge that you are forgiven. He loves you more than you could ever know.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also the bible wasn't written in english, so when it says you need to believe in Jesus...

The New Testament was written in Greek.

Acts 16:31: And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

In the original Greek: οἱ δὲ εἶπαν·
πίστευσον ἐπὶ τὸν κύριον Ἰησοῦν, καὶ σωθήσῃ σὺ καὶ ὁ οἶκός σου.
↑ this word means "believe."

1 John 5:13: I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

In the original Greek: Ταῦτα ἔγραψα ὑμῖν ἵνα εἰδῆτε ὅτι ζωὴν ἔχετε αἰώνιον, τοῖς
πιστεύουσιν εἰς τὸ ὄνομα τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ θεοῦ.
↑ Here it is again, with a slightly different verb ending.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

"I know I am a sinner who does not deserve to go to heaven, but Jesus died for me so I can go to heaven anyway. When I go to heaven it will not be because of anything good that I did for other people, but because I accepted Jesus's gift of salvation."

Absolutely! You got it, girl.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

No, it doesn't matter how good you are. You cannot obtain salvation through works. If that were the case there would have been no reason for Jesus to die.

New International Version (©1984)
He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
[BIBLE]Titus 3:5[/BIBLE]

Yes, you must repent of your sins and ask Jesus to come into your heart and save you. It's easy to get saved but you must have a true repentant heart. Treat your salvation decision as serious as you can. May God truly bless you and I pray you have a fruitful walk with Him.

Upvote 0

Aravis85

Jun 27, 2012
London
✟15,174.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Like, is it really as simple as believing that Jesus died on the cross for my sins? That's it?

I think so. Different Christian traditions have different things to say about the implications of that, but I think most of us agree that it is that simple. But, speaking out of my tradition, I think what it means to be "saved" is to enter into a joyful, permanent, day-by-day and hour-by-hour relationship with God the Father, in and through and with Jesus, by the action of the Holy Spirit. That relationship transcends death, and therefore results in "going to heaven", but we can start living in heaven pretty much as soon as we like, once Jesus has saved us. Repentance of sin and loving communion with God and with your neighbour are part of that new life, and that's where doing good for other people does come in, as does taking up your cross and following Him.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I know you have to admit you're a sinner, accept Jesus as your savior and repent for your sins.

Also the bible wasn't written in english, so when it says you need to believe in Jesus to have eternal life, that could have been a mistranslation. What if the word wasn't believe? I'm feeling kinda paranoid now.

Sure, you can just believe AND never try to be good the rest of your life...and presto...you're saved. NOT!

Ok, Sammoh. The Bible has to be taken completely and contextually, not reading it by dissecting small verse snippets. I'm not saying this to shame you but to quickly hedge out the 'easy' answers that others will try to give you.

Being Christian is tough and not easy! It requires you to respond in FAITH to God through belief and trust in Jesus Christ. The beginning of the response of faith is to 'REPENT'. That must be combined with trust (belief) and obedience (good works for the sake of others). And of course, BAPTISM is your second step in responding in faith to Jesus.

Don't let anyone sell you short with Americanized, easy believism.

Does this make sense, Sammoh?

Upvote 0

ssammoh

Just another kid
Aug 10, 2012
chicago
✟8,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure, you can just believe AND never try to be good the rest of your life...and presto...you're saved. NOT!

Ok, Sammoh. The Bible has to be taken completely and contextually, not reading it by dissecting small verse snippets. I'm not saying this to shame you but to quickly hedge out the 'easy' answers that others will try to give you.

Being Christian is tough and not easy! It requires you to respond in FAITH to God through belief and trust in Jesus Christ. The beginning of the response of faith is to 'REPENT'. That must be combined with trust (belief) and obedience (good works for the sake of others). And of course, BAPTISM is your second step in responding in faith to Jesus.

Don't let anyone sell you short with Americanized, easy believism.

Does this make sense, Sammoh?

Yeah.
Well I do try to be good, and I'm planning on getting baptized soon.
I just feel like there's something missing, like there's something I'm supposed to be doing that I'm not doing and it makes me nervous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

Dieselman

Yeah.
I just feel like there's something missing, like there's something I'm supposed to be doing that I'm not doing and it makes me nervous.
How could it be so easy? How could a man who was a godless sinner his entire life who was being crucified for stealing look over at Jesus and say "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom" and be assured that he would be in Heaven that day? How does a man overcome a lifetime of sin with a single sentance?

Answer; he can't. All of the good deeds in your life cannot overcome the evil you commit in a day. It is only the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that saves you from destruction. It is your faith in that sacrifice that separates you from the lost. So what is faith?

Faith goes beyond mouthing the words. You must believe in your heart that Jesus Christ was the son of God and that He died for your salvation. Faith is reinforced by reading and understanding the word of God. The more you study His word, the more your faith is reinforced and the stronger it becomes. As you move closer to God the more you feel His love and the presence of the Holy Spirit in your life. As you continue to build your faith and work toward living a more godly life, your nagging doubts will fade and you will begin to know that God is real and His word is truth.

It all begins with faith in Christ as your lord and savior, but that's only the beginning. Good luck on your journey.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah.

Maybe your nervousness is just a subconcious aspect of your 'reverence' for God. That may actually be a healthy part of it, but as you grow as a Christian, and as you follow the Lord's leading, I think you'll find that nervousness replaced by some level of assurance.

Keep moving forward...it sounds like you are on the right path. As BFine has suggested, talk to your pastor soon to get things moving.

God bless you - In Christ,

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many people when young get confused about what exactly you have to do. We are so use to earthly things that tell us we have to do this that and the other to do something, that we forget the bible is not like that. I came to salvation at 7. My dad asked if I wanted Jesus in my heart after spending years at church. I understood what he meant and got saved.

Admiteddly years later as a christian I wondered "How do I know if I am really saved? What if I said the wrong things or was to young to be saved?". I asked all sorts of questions. My friend reassured me I was saved. I did feel better and don't question it.

Upvote 0

marcus900424

Jul 18, 2012
✟15,129.00
Faith
Christian
No, it doesn't matter how good you are. You cannot obtain salvation through works. If that were the case there would have been no reason for Jesus to die.

New International Version (©1984)
He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
[bible]Titus 3:5[/bible]

Yes, you must repent of your sins and ask Jesus to come into your heart and save you. It's easy to get saved but you must have a true repentant heart. Treat your salvation decision as serious as you can. May God truly bless you and I pray you have a fruitful walk with Him.

Dont want to interfere, but I read somewhere if you believe in God creator, you would go for righteousness. And righteous people, I believe they're saved. Just like Abraham was righteous. Though Jesus is Savior. And there was something about righteousness in the context of new testament, ->Jesus<-, though, I dont remember.

Could be nice to know this:)XD, and God Bless:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When the gospel was first being spread by the disciples what happened was people heard the message about Jesus and who and what he did, that he is the Messiah.

In Proverbs it says eyes to see and ears to hear are both gifts from God 20:12. When Peter first spoke the words "You are the Messiah, Son of the Living God." Jesus told him flesh and blood didnt reveal this to him, but My Father which is in Heaven.

So when people first heard this message Jesus was revealed to them, and they believed.

In the account of Acts, when people heard the message and believed the Spirit of God came upon them.

So when you heard the message about Jesus and He was revealed to you; you believed. A transformation took place and you became a new person. You now want to follow the Will of you Father in Heaven. This is the moment you became saved.

Our mission then is to speak forth the gospel, so others too may hear, have the truth revealed to them, so that they too might believe and enter into salvation. We dont do the saving, that is Jesus' job. Ours is to speak forth the message.

Evidence of transformation will be in your life when you believe. What you say, do, act, and so on. This is what is referred to as fruit; you will be known by your fruit. And this is how we recognize other christians, by their fruit.

You are saved because God chose you to reveal His Son to, and because you believed you are saved.

Peace be with you.

Upvote 0

ssammoh

Just another kid
Aug 10, 2012
chicago
✟8,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe your nervousness is just a subconcious aspect of your 'reverence' for God. That may actually be a healthy part of it, but as you grow as a Christian, and as you follow the Lord's leading, I think you'll find that nervousness replaced by some level of assurance.

Keep moving forward...it sounds like you are on the right path. As BFine has suggested, talk to your pastor soon to get things moving.

God bless you - In Christ,

2PhiloVoid

The thing here is that I'm not a new christian, and the fact that I act like one makes me uncomfortable for some reason. I used to not feel like this. I don't know what happened. :(

Upvote 0

servant9901

Aug 17, 2012
✟685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Friend if u would like to talk one on one im available on yahoo messenger ..my yahoo id is evangelist4god9901

The Lord called me in 1999 into His Service and in 2001 gave me the call to Evangelize ..

Evangelist= Preacher of the Gospel

God bless you
let me know if I can be of help to u
Servant

Upvote 0

ssammoh

Just another kid
Aug 10, 2012
chicago
✟8,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Friend if u would like to talk one on one im available on yahoo messenger ..my yahoo id is evangelist4god9901

The Lord called me in 1999 into His Service and in 2001 gave me the call to Evangelize ..

Evangelist= Preacher of the Gospel

God bless you
let me know if I can be of help to u
Servant

I would but I don't have yahoo messanger

Upvote 0

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have a private message here on the message boards where you could talk.

This world and its troubles have a way of interfering with our walk with God. Just go to God tell Him how you feel, spend time in the scriptures searching Him out. We need to fill our spiritual tank. I dont know if this is what is going on with you. But I know when I need to spend time with God and less time with the world.

There are people here who will truely help you. Perhaps you need to get a little more personal where someone could help you one on one. God wants the best for you and He loves you so much. He desires a relationship with you. Just know that. And if you want to talk I will gladly speak with you as well privately. Just put your curser over my name and you will see you can go to a profile page. From there you can private message anyone you want.

God Bless

Upvote 0