Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NEW YORK — Catholics are calling the murder of George Floyd yet another example of a continuing blind spot toward the racism that has plagued the United States since its founding, evidenced by the continuous use of police brutality against African Americans and silence of many Catholic leaders in the face of it.

Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, died on Monday after police officers violently pinned him down in Minneapolis in response to a call about a man suspected of forgery.

A video of him pleading with police officers while saying “I can’t breathe,” has gone viral, sparking protests in the Minnesota state capital over the last 48 hours. Floyd can be seen in the video requesting help and not resisting arrest as onlookers implored the cops to back down. On Tuesday, the Minneapolis Police Chief announced that four responding officers have been fired and that an FBI investigation has commenced.

Killing of George Floyd exposes blind spot on racism, Catholic advocates say

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Archbishop says Floyd video ‘gut wrenching,’ urges respect for all people

ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A video showing a Minneapolis police officer kneeling on the neck of a handcuffed man repeatedly saying “I can’t breathe,” and who appears to lose consciousness or die while being pinned down, is “gut wrenching and deeply disturbing,” Archbishop Bernard A. Hebda of St. Paul and Minneapolis said in a May 27 statement.

“The sadness and pain are intense,” Archbishop Hebda said of the circumstances surrounding the May 25 death of George Floyd. “Let us pray for comfort for his grieving family and friends, peace for a hurting community and prudence while the process moves forward. We need a full investigation that results in rightful accountability and veritable justice.”

A bystander filmed part of police’s confrontation with the 46-year-old Floyd, an African American restaurant worker from St. Louis Park, Minnesota. who was reportedly arrested on suspicion of forgery. Floyd was pronounced dead at Hennepin County Medical Center. The four officers involved Floyd’s arrest have been fired, and the FBI is conducting a federal civil rights investigation. The officer who pinned Floyd is white.

Archbishop says Floyd video ‘gut wrenching,’ urges respect for all people

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
NEW YORK — Catholics are calling the murder of George Floyd yet another example of a continuing blind spot toward the racism that has plagued the United States since its founding, evidenced by the continuous use of police brutality against African Americans and silence of many Catholic leaders in the face of it.

Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, died on Monday after police officers violently pinned him down in Minneapolis in response to a call about a man suspected of forgery.

A video of him pleading with police officers while saying “I can’t breathe,” has gone viral, sparking protests in the Minnesota state capital over the last 48 hours. Floyd can be seen in the video requesting help and not resisting arrest as onlookers implored the cops to back down. On Tuesday, the Minneapolis Police Chief announced that four responding officers have been fired and that an FBI investigation has commenced.

Killing of George Floyd exposes blind spot on racism, Catholic advocates say
I'm not so sure I'm willing to generalize to the whole nation like the author did.

Minneapolis has long had a police culture that was not Minnesota Nice. It goes way back to when Minneapolis had a well known anti-Semite city culture, and aside from the rest of city and county government being run by the far left currently, I think that department is a solid 80 years in the past. Minneapolis. I lived there for five years having been born on the better side of the river. Glad I left.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'd like to know why he was taken to the ground in the first place. And why he was on the street side of the police vehicle.
He was Black in Minneapolis. Stopped by police. Not much more of a reason needed.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He was Black in Minneapolis. Stopped by police. Not much more of a reason needed.

Naw. I need more information. Perhaps all of the police bodycam videos (if they haven't been erased).

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer caught on camera kneeling on the neck of George Floyd as he gasped for air, has been the subject of a 10 conduct complaints and three police shootings that led to no disciplinary action during his 19 years on the job.

Tou Thao, the second officer seen in the video, also has a checkered past that includes allegations of police brutality and a lawsuit.

Neither one of these cops should have been on the force.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The whole thing is an atrocity, it seems like a totally apolitical thing—I don't think I know anybody who doesn't think the cop who killed him shouldn't be tried for murder.

That being said, all of this rioting and looting is undermining the whole issue. African-Americans are mad, I realize that, this is another tragic death in a long line of black men (and women) killed by an officer in recent years (although Statista shows that from 2017-2020 almost twice as many white men were killed by cops as black men).

But taking an outrageous and unjust death and using it as an excuse to steal a flat screen TV from Target is absurd and makes it look like BLM is just a vehicle for selfishness and "getting yours", and it derails any legal and judicial progress that could be had to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I mean, rioters even burned low income housing in Minneapolis:

uLZ7YRm.jpg

Tell me, who are they hurting now?

And then you have political tards like Kamala Harris saying this is Trumps fault, which is about as egregiously ignorant as blaming Queen Elizabeth for The Troubles. Quite conversely, Trump's instructed the DOJ to investigate Floyd's death and I believe justice will be served.

• Agree
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think after this Amy Klobochar will be removed from consideration as VP pick. She was on the short list but she was apparently the AG of Minnesota at the time that the main cop who killed Floyd had been accused of other brutalities a few other times and he wasn't charged. I agree he should not have been on the force.
Fairly or not I've seen articles blaming her. I think the Biden campaign will not want the controversy.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Washington D.C., May 29, 2020 / 05:36 pm MT (CNA).- Leaders of the U.S. bishops’ conference responded to the killing of an African American man in Minneapolis this week by stressing that the fight to eradicate racism is a pro-life issue.

“As bishops, we unequivocally state that racism is a life issue,” they said in a May 29 statement.

“Racism is not a thing of the past or simply a throwaway political issue to be bandied about when convenient. It is a real and present danger that must be met head on,” the bishops said.

‘Racism is not a thing of the past’ – US bishops respond to George Floyd killing

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Washington D.C., May 29, 2020 / 05:36 pm MT (CNA).- Leaders of the U.S. bishops’ conference responded to the killing of an African American man in Minneapolis this week by stressing that the fight to eradicate racism is a pro-life issue.

“As bishops, we unequivocally state that racism is a life issue,” they said in a May 29 statement.

“Racism is not a thing of the past or simply a throwaway political issue to be bandied about when convenient. It is a real and present danger that must be met head on,” the bishops said.

‘Racism is not a thing of the past’ – US bishops respond to George Floyd killing
Yeah. True. But as your moniker notes, human rights begin in the womb. You can't kill innocent human beings in the womb and expect life to actually be valued elsewhere in society.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Saw the St. Paul Mayor on TV who said a lot of the arrests are from people who are from out of state which is consistent with my theory that Antifa is heavily involved.
Not the first time out of state Antifa people would have come to Minnesota. And set fires. Seems to be the place to be. I think they hope the populace of Minnesota is ready for their brand of revolution.

I saw a heat map of Minnesota rioting and it's extreme. 1968 seemed bad at the time but that was nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0