Killing and the moral line of witnessing it...

ChristianCenturion

Veteran / Tuebor
Feb 9, 2005
In front of a computer
✟32,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can understand positions such conscientious objectors, my Catholic brothers and sisters being against the death penalty, and so on. The defense of human life (despite the issue of harsh justice for harsh crime) is one I can respect and agree and it is a worthy mark to aim for whenever possible, but I can also differ in opinion to some degree and in various levels pending circumstances.

That being said, a discussion broke out the other day with some of my peers on the .50 Caliber sniper rifle (similar to the Barrett M82A1 or 2) and/or ammo. While it is designed and purpose is for killing, the discussion was about 'how lethal' (a bit of an oxymoron) it was vs. the rights of private citizens to own such a weapon or even the ordinance available. Additionally and as a result of the discussion, I was recently emailed a video of some of its use in Afghanistan fighting enemies (usually another sniper or enemy attempting to avoid detection by hiding in the terrain). Not only is the video footage capturing the target, then the effects during and after firing informative of what little remains of the threat, it is also extremely disturbing to know that it was a human-being being viewed and disturbing that people have this footage and disperse it for whatever reasons.

Thus the dilemma of having pictures, video, and media in general on death of humans, be it fictional such as movies or actual such as news footage of people jumping from buildings (NYC-911) or terrorist performing a decapitation. No doubt psychologists say that an obsession in such is unhealthy, but where is that line drawn. No doubt we are to be aware of some of what happens in the world around us, but is there an agreed upon line where one should turn their head in disgust.

Matthew 6:22
"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light.

Or to paraphrase a judge’s commentary: "I know it when I see it."

Your opinion?

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I hate it now. It didn't used to be like this. We could hear the news and imagine what a mess it was without viewing bodies all over the place. I can't imagine how families feel when they see their loved ones literally splattered all over the street.

In addition, nature programs are way too graphic now. It was assumed that a lion had to eat a gazelle, but I didn't need to know how it isolated it, grabbed it, strangled it and then disemboweled it to understand that the lion had dinner. :sick:

Upvote 0

Fledge

May 4, 2005
✟1,316.00
Faith
Lutheran
newlamb said:
I hate it now. It didn't used to be like this. We could hear the news and imagine what a mess it was without viewing bodies all over the place. I can't imagine how families feel when they see their loved ones literally splattered all over the street.

In addition, nature programs are way too graphic now. It was assumed that a lion had to eat a gazelle, but I didn't need to know how it isolated it, grabbed it, strangled it and then disemboweled it to understand that the lion had dinner. :sick:

I think it has to do with the whole "shock factor". If there's nothing to grab people's attention, then they won't watch, and one of the best ways to get somebody's attention is to show something shocking. Due to the fact that there is so much violence on TV and the like, it is taking stronger and stronger jolts to shock us and make us watch. As a result, things like the video clip CC mentioned are becoming more common. Pathetic, but I'm afraid it's all too true.

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I concur with Fledge's post.
It used to me more graphic things were on the cable television sets but not it's on regular TV as well. People who slow down to view an accident on the freeway now can watch it on tv. It's very sad.
With movies or programs it's easy enough to switch the channel since you have a reasonable expectation of what you're about to see and if it bothers you, to turn the channel - but on the news, I got caught off my gaurd once when the news helicopter caught live video of a cop being attacked by a pit bull who jumped out of the car ( a high speed chase scene that ended in a field and no one knew there was a dog in the car, the suspect came out and surrendered on the grass but the dog jumped out and charged the cop to defend its owner) then his partner entered the scene and shot the dog to death.
It shocked me (mostly the actual viciousness of the dog attack and how the camera man honed in on it) so I can imagine how it would shock a 4 year old who was watching a regular program and had "breaking news" cut into his cartoon.

Upvote 0