Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
http://bringbackissues.blogspot.com/

Wall Street Journal
wsj.ltrs@wsj.com

Letter to the Editor:

As President of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, I express my extreme disappointment over the column “Radio Silence” published March 28 under “Houses of Worship.” Its author presents a distorted account of the reason for the discontinuation of the “Issues, Etc.” program on the Synod’s KFUO-AM Radio station. What is even more disturbing is the false and misleading picture she presents of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) as a deeply divided church regarding its mission and ministry.

First, let me say our church is happy to own and operate KFUO-AM, the oldest continuously operating religious radio station in the country, if not the world. We are proud of the ministry it has provided listeners for some 84 years, and we endeavor to continue this ministry. I must also note that all ministries of the church, of which KFUO-AM is but one, require financial support from their constituencies.

Here are the facts surrounding the termination of “Issues, Etc.” This program was cancelled by the Synod’s director of communications after years of attempts to keep the program financially solvent. In fiscal year 2007-08, KFUO-AM’s operating deficit was $620,000. Since 2001, the accumulated deficits of the station have been in excess of $3.5 million. While airing for only 18 percent of KFUO-AM’s programming week, “Issues, Etc.” in the last fiscal year accounted for more than 40 percent ($250,000) of the station’s total deficit. These figures are based on the audited financial statements of the LCMS. As of February 29, two thirds into the current fiscal year, KFUO-AM was on pace to suffer heavy loses again.

Listeners of “Issues, Etc.” have had nine years and countless invitations and opportunities to support the program financially, and some have, but not nearly enough to offset the show’s deep, ongoing losses.

More importantly, I wish to address the unfortunate comments in the column that The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod is deeply divided and that it is pushing “church marketing” over the historic confessions of the evangelical Lutheran Church.

In truth, last summer the LCMS had its most positive and unified convention in years. Our church remains faithful to the Scriptures and Lutheran Confessions, an integral part of our identity as a church body. As stated in a resolution adopted last summer by the national Synod convention: “From the founding of our Synod 160 years ago, we have been blessed by unity in our common confession and the articles of our shared faith, such as the Trinity, the person and work of Christ, original sin, baptismal regeneration, the real presence of Christ’s body and blood in the Sacrament, the inerrancy of Scripture and many others.”

In accordance with our unity in what we believe, teach, and confess, the Synod adopted the mission and vision of Ablaze!—a focused and concentrated effort to “share the Good News of Jesus Christ with those who do not yet know him.” One goal of Ablaze! calls for the Synod to start 2,000 new congregations by the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in the year 2017. This outreach emphasis is not “marketing” as suggested by last Friday’s column; rather, it is one of many ministry endeavors developed to foster the mission of our Synod “… vigorously to make known the love of Christ by word and deed within our churches, communities, and the world.” (LCMS Mission Statement)

In summary, The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod is more committed than ever to proclaiming the one message of Jesus Christ and his love for all (1 John 4:9-11).

On behalf of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, I invite readers to visit our website at www.lcms.org for more information on God’s grace and salvation in Christ.

The Rev. Dr. Gerald B. Kieschnick, President
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod

C: Mr. David Strand, Director of Communications
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems he feels a bit put up against the wall by all the negative coverage, which is the whole point, but the hypocrisy of his blaming US for this happening is truly disappointing and very unflattering. :sigh:

I'd say the cohesive, Confessional protest is working. I just hope we can keep it up through the next convention.

Does his letter smell a bit like Rome to anyone else?

popcorn1.gif

Upvote 0

Lupinus

May 28, 2007
SC
✟8,723.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He makes a good point though.

While money isn't every thing, unfortunately it takes money and the show was a huge money pit. While this can sometimes be tolerated, just like a church it's congregation wont financially support, it will need to close it's doors as only so much weight can be carried. The show finally crossed a line and was decided to be dropped.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But given the popularity of the program, it only seems fit that if the show were in some sort of financial trouble that the call could have been put out saying that finances may result in the cancellation of the program. I'm sure that MANY would have come to it's rescue. But no such appeal was made. It seemed to be all hush-hush, which leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouths of the thousands who were loyal listeners. Since the program was a ministry of the Church, the Church should have had the opportunity to have a say in the matter. The LCMS is supposed to be a ministerium (from the bottom up) polity. But this was clearly a top-down decision.

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yep! That's the heart of the issue, Mel. There are no chuehces in my area that bought into the Ablaze! program, so I tend to forget that it's pushed so hard in some regions, but the premise behind it is flawed that I can't imagine why.

The current leadership are pushing Ablaze! and an agenda that seems to perpetuate the need to "modernize" evangelical Lutheranism in order to fill the pews and compete with the non-denoms and/or mega-churches.

Our question is, why in the world do they feel they have to get down on their level? It's all very sad, but I think it's fair to say most of us have had enough and maybe, finally, all or most of the conservatives will unify to correct things at the next convention. :pray:

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The churches in my area have not "bought" into the Ablaze either.

In the letter, he talks about the LCMS being unified. I don't know what you call being elected president with 52% of the vote is, but I don't call it unity.

We need to remember this and other things that are going on, the Ablaze, Purpose Driven Life and other things that are being pushed and make sure we send delegates to the next convention in mass numbers. Ones who will vote for confessionalism and not be satisfied with the status quo. So, when your circuit asks who is interested in being the delegate, step up and do it.

One thing that came to my mind was that if we would have paid $1 for each download, there would have been lots of money to pay for this program and others. I know that I would have paid to download programs.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
One thing that came to my mind was that if we would have paid $1 for each download, there would have been lots of money to pay for this program and others. I know that I would have paid to download programs.

I don't know that charging folks to listen is the right answer. That might possibly hurt more than help. The Church should have been able to help out with that, and we, the Church, weren't given that opportunity.

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What about it being an option? Not that it is going to happen anyway. Being given the option of paying for downloading it to help with the costs on a trial basis would have told us. I agree that they should be provided as a ministry and that we should have been given the option to know and to help with the financial crunch that it seems to have been under.

I know the PK is trying to present a unified front for the world, but Synod is not unified. Has not been for a long time. This whole issue has widened the divide. I just pray that these things are remembered between now and the next convention.

Let's be finding a candidate for president that many can support. Let's try not to have so many to choose from next time so that people won't say, let's just go with the status quo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Our question is, why in the world do they feel they have to get down on their level? It's all very sad, but I think it's fair to say most of us have had enough and maybe, finally, all or most of the conservatives will unify to correct things at the next convention. :pray:

Or, all conservative LCMSers could transfer to the one true WELS!!!! :p

Upvote 0

LutheranHawkeye

Jun 5, 2006
Iowa
✟8,924.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Or, all conservative LCMSers could transfer to the one true WELS!!!! :p
Most members of the LCMS are conservative, and if I left Missouri I would only join the ELCA, Anglican, or EO/RC. The views of the WELS on women scare the bejeesus out of me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
You all have my sympathy on this. Although I'm obviously not a Lutheran, I'm much happier to see Confessional Lutherans than I am the Ablaze sort who seem to deprive Christianity of all of its content and turn it into a marketing technique. Unfortunately, most of the Lutheran congregations in the area here are very much of the Ablaze! sort.

Grace and peace,
John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.