Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ahhh thank you for doing this thread. I just saw it here...

That bridge just folded like a house of cards...

I'm going blind so it's pretty impossible to see what exactly happened but my question is does it look like there might have been structural issues with the bridge as well as it being struck?

It just looks strange to me on the video, but I'm thinking it might be because I can't see well at all ..

As for the bridge collapse itself, my heart and my prayers go out to the victims of this tragedy... Such a shame. And such a mess for those living there.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ahhh thank you for doing this thread. I just saw it here...

That bridge just folded like a house of cards...

I'm going blind so it's pretty impossible to see what exactly happened but my question is does it look like there might have been structural issues with the bridge on top of it being struck?

It just looks strange to me on the video, but I'm thinking it might be because I can't see well at all ..

As for the bridge collapse itself, my heart and my prayers go out to the victims of this tragedy... Such a shame.
No structural issues that I’m aware of. There’s just not much redundancy in that sort of design where one section is reliant on adjacent sections to stay up, so if you lose a critical piece, the whole thing falls.

Note that the concrete sections on either side are still standing.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No structural issues that I’m aware of. There’s just not much redundancy in that sort of design where one section is reliant on adjacent sections to stay up, so if you lose a critical piece, the whole thing falls.

Note that the concrete sections on either side are still standing.

Cool, thank you for your insight..

:)

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Cool, thank you for your insight..

:)
Helicopter shots now that the sun is up make it look like the ship took out a good chunk of the pier on which the bridge was resting.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm going blind so it's pretty impossible to see what exactly happened but my question is does it look like there might have been structural issues with the bridge as well as it being struck?
From what I read it fell apart due to the nature of its construction. Each part is holding tension on the others remove one and all the rest follow.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I heard "collapsed bridge" this morning on the news, I was wondering if it was going to be a case where it was a poorly maintained infrastructure situation. The "crumbling infrastructure" we tend to hear about.

Doesn't appear to be the case for this one, as most things crumble when a vessel of that size runs into it in the middle of the night. I guess I just assumed the vessels coming in and out of that section would A) be familiar with the route, and B) would have some sort of lighting of their own to be able to see what's in front of them should the lighting on the bridge go out.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When I heard "collapsed bridge" this morning on the news, I was wondering if it was going to be a case where it was a poorly maintained infrastructure situation. The "crumbling infrastructure" we tend to hear about.

Doesn't appear to be the case for this one, as most things crumble when a vessel of that size runs into it in the middle of the night. I guess I just assumed the vessels coming in and out of that section would A) be familiar with the route, and B) would have some sort of lighting of their own to be able to see what's in front of them should the lighting on the bridge go out.
Ships in these situations are typically helmed by local pilots until they get out toward the open water.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sounds like the ship lost power, issued a Mayday, and authorities were stopping traffic from getting on the bridge before it hit.

Looks like everyone did what they could when the ship lost power (I am assuming that is when the smoke appeared.)

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Currents. Without power or rudder control, the ship is at the mercy of the current. And it wasn't a sharp turn - based on the telemetry I've seen, it deviated about 5-10 degrees off course, which, in a narrow channel, was enough to take it into the bridge pier.
Im no expert on ships but i don’t think anything says a rudder get jammed straight when control systems fail.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,570.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Im no expert on ships but i don’t think anything says a rudder get jammed straight when control systems fail.
It wouldn't need to be jammed straight though. Current can change pretty radically in a short distance, so the rudder might need to be trimmed left for a certain stretch and then changed. That could be what happened here.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Looking at the video, it appears that power was lost twice before the collision. Loss of power means loss of control, and restoration of power does not mean that full control would be instantly restored. It also appears from the video that the ship was going rather fast. It's going to be a very interesting investigation with many factors to consider.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There is already disinformation spreading out there on X. Be careful of your sources.
I took a cruise with my family once, so feel free to ask me any technical questions about large ship engineering and operation.

Upvote 0