d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Los Angeles, Oct. 18 (CWNews.com) - A consultant to the Vatican has said Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry has incurred the penalty of excommunication from the Catholic Church.
http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=32830

Well, aside from liberal Catholics, I am assuming none will be voting for him. What exactly does this mean for kerry - religiously in the RC system?

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember a story told to me by an army buddy. He had gone to a Franciscan monastery and asked to speak to a counselor.

He explained his problem to the priest thus: "I was born Roman Catholic but married a protestant outside the church."

"No problem there," responded the good father, "the marriage is invalid in the eyes of the church."

"I don't think you get it," said my friend, "I want to be excommunicated."

"If you feel like that," huffed the offended cleric, "I think you can safely assume that you are."

"That's good," said my friend, "but can I get a certificate?"

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
d0c markus said:
hmmm I cant see it in the forum... weird... O well, 2 cant hurt.
I believe it's on Page 2. That's weird though if it didn't show up. All well, that's ok. Just thought I'd let you know in case you was interested in reading the other thread! :)

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Gracchus said:
I remember a story told to me by an army buddy. He had gone to a Franciscan monastery and asked to speak to a counselor.

He explained his problem to the priest thus: "I was born Roman Catholic but married a protestant outside the church."

"No problem there," responded the good father, "the marriage is invalid in the eyes of the church."

"I don't think you get it," said my friend, "I want to be excommunicated."

"If you feel like that," huffed the offended cleric, "I think you can safely assume that you are."

"That's good," said my friend, "but can I get a certificate?"

:thumbsup:

Too bad the story is inaccurate- a marriage outside the Church is still a valid marriage.

Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
stray bullet said:
Too bad the story is inaccurate- a marriage outside the Church is still a valid marriage.

Not in the eyes of the Catholic Church. At least in those days. Of course at that time those who ate meat on Fridays went to hell. (Did they get out when the rules changed?) :confused:

:wave:

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Gracchus said:
Not in the eyes of the Catholic Church. At least in those days. Of course at that time those who ate meat on Fridays went to hell. (Did they get out when the rules changed?) :confused:

Is there a particular reason you feel the need to spread false information about Catholicism, including this statement?

If you are interested in having this explained to you and me show you what is wrong with these assertions, I'll be happy to. However, I don't think you are.

Upvote 0

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
stray bullet said:
Is there a particular reason you feel the need to spread false information about Catholicism, including this statement?

If you are interested in having this explained to you and me show you what is wrong with these assertions, I'll be happy to. However, I don't think you are.
I dont know if Id say it was entirely false, especially during the reformation years as they were quite troublesome and most break aways were still considered anathema.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Excommunication means you have done someting to rebel against the Church and have therefore placed yourself outside of communion with the Church. The Church informs you of your excommunication as an act of mercy in the hopes that you will repent and come back into communion. It doesn't mean you're booted out of the Church. This is why the "reformers" were excommunicated. They willingly left Christ's Church. This is a special case which applies to those who are Catholic and then leave. This does not apply to those who were raised Protestant or do not know the truth of the Catholic Christian faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
stray bullet said:

When I graduated from a Catholic grammar school I got the first place medals for catechism and spelling. Of course, I haven't really been keeping up with changes to the eternal truth that were drummed into me by the nuns. Exactly what false information have I been spreading? :confused:

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2004
Chicago
✟130.00
Faith
Catholic
Voter said:
This article (registration required) http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/elections/chi-gleaner,1,4678769.story?coll=chi-news-hedPosted in another thread has a very interesting comparison of how being Catholic affected Kennedy's race, versus Kerry's. And a lot more, besides.
The problem with the article is it drags in the abuse scandle to diffuse the Kerry situation. Making Catholics feel shame over a troubling time in the church so they forgive Kerry, for his seeming 'minor in comparison' faults is ludicrous!:mad:

But that is why the Chicago Tribune is better known by the "Libune." Although they did endorse George Bush over Kerry, so that should put in perspective how poor his campaign is being run.

Kerry's photo ops at Catholic churches have been a joke. Coming in late for mass dressed in ski gear, receiving communion and leaving immediately afterwards is a slap in the face to the church. What kind of image does that send to young children?:scratch:

Kerry, in my opinion, is only Catholic when he wants the Catholic vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Gracchus said:
When I graduated from a Catholic grammar school I got the first place medals for catechism and spelling.

That's great, that doesn't mean you understand what we are talking about. You understand the basic principles, but not the philosophy and teachings regarding the two issues you have attempted to misinform the forum of.

Of course, I haven't really been keeping up with changes to the eternal truth that were drummed into me by the nuns. Exactly what false information have I been spreading? :confused:

Last I checked, the sacrament of marriage hasn't changed, nor has the need for penance. I'd be happy to explain Vatican II and Fridays, but something tells me you aren't interested.

Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
stray bullet said:
That's great, that doesn't mean you understand what we are talking about. You understand the basic principles, but not the philosophy and teachings regarding the two issues you have attempted to misinform the forum of.

Last I checked, the sacrament of marriage hasn't changed, nor has the need for penance. I'd be happy to explain Vatican II and Fridays, but something tells me you aren't interested.

Dodging the question and hoping no one will notice?

A marriage of Catholic and non-Catholic was permitted under canon law only if the non-Catholic party agreed to certain conditions, e.g. the children must be raised Catholic. If these conditions were not met the marriage was invalid in the eyes of the church, and the Catholic party was deemed to be "living in a state of mortal sin". :priest:

When did this change? :confused:

And since I specifically asked for information, it is disingenuous of you to claim I am not interested.

Oh well! Just another instance of religious double-think.

Upvote 0