Kentucky legislature votes to misinform students about the Holocaust

Khameo

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Sep 15, 2007
✟8,916.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No. They won't be able to put two and two together. And that is more important than getting a measly job at mcdonalds.
The way that people are fine to discard knowledge, as long as they can still get a mediocre job, really disgusts me.

Upvote 0

CriticalMassKitten

Oct 23, 2006
✟15,728.00
Faith
Agnostic
So... how does WWII get taught? I acknowledge knowing people who were taught little regarding the holocaust. But they've always had some basics about it.

Growing up in the NYC public school system we had teachers who were survivors and there was no way we didn't learn the lessons. But even if one doesn't focus on the topic with long lessons on the camps specifically- how can you teach the era without discussing the camps and the executions? Without pointing out Hitler's grand scheme?

-----------------------
They basically tell you things that lead up to the Holocaust, then sort of, tell you it happened then it isn't mentioned again. I probably learned more about the different camps they had in 7th grade then I did this year in US history. Also, for the record, the book we use here also doesn't mention homosexuals as being victims either.

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
They basically tell you things that lead up to the Holocaust, then sort of, tell you it happened then it isn't mentioned again. I probably learned more about the different camps they had in 7th grade then I did this year in US history. Also, for the record, the book we use here also doesn't mention homosexuals as being victims either.
You will probably never feel that your life would have been better if only you had known all the groups who were killed in the Holocaust.

Upvote 0

CriticalMassKitten

Oct 23, 2006
✟15,728.00
Faith
Agnostic
You will probably never feel that your life would have been better if only you had known all the groups who were killed in the Holocaust.
Oh, of course not, just saying that the holocaust is basically just glanced at briefly in the WWII chapter of our books, and as this is about people trying to stop homosexuals even being listed, I felt the need to state that.

Though, the Holocaust may not be mentioned for very long in our books because it's more about the actual politics behind the war, and since we've already had an entire section dedicated to the Holocaust in, I want to say, 8th grade, it's not as important.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Anybody who removes truth from history books is wrong, period.
In fairness, all accounts of history are, by necessity, selective. The question has to be about whether the selection is appropriate for the purpose - and more importantly are the agendas that inform the selection appropriate.

Truth and facts should not be subject to the agendas of politicians -- honestly, I am shocked by this revelation.
If you let politicians write your curriculum material that's bound to happen.

Upvote 0

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's the thing. Public schooling is so inadequate in its teaching of history across the board that this move by the Kentucky government is just a drop in the ocean, no matter how offensive we all find it.
I agree. History is treated second rate to English, math, and science.

Upvote 0

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Woah there, you are giving way to much credit to english, math, and science in this country... they are far below what they should be.
lol, yeah, but even still, history seems to be second rate even to these.

if it was up to me, i'd require everyone to take a logic course too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
lol, yeah, but even still, history seems to be second rate even to these.

if it was up to me, i'd require everyone to take a logic course too.

Personally, I think math is the subject that is butchered most here... but I may be biased at it since I am majoring in math and physics...

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
seriously. They make kids memorize rules so much that it kills their intuitive understanding of how numbers work. So, I ask a kid "If an airplane is flying, and it drops 200 ft. how much does it have to go up, to get to where it was before?" and they simply can't get it.

Upvote 0

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
seriously. They make kids memorize rules so much that it kills their intuitive understanding of how numbers work. So, I ask a kid "If an airplane is flying, and it drops 200 ft. how much does it have to go up, to get to where it was before?" and they simply can't get it.
like i said, they should be required to take a logic course too.

Upvote 0

WiredSpirit

and all God's people said... meh
Jul 5, 2004
Evansville
✟2,698.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My Kentucky story...

My sister was a children's librarian in Louisville, and I went to visit. Louisville is MARVELOUS! Liberal, forward thinking...fantastic place. Very cultured, thinking of naming a street after Hunter S. Thompson. :)

Anyway, I was at the zoo, enthralled by the polite, intelligent people I was meeting, and was listening to a father explain to their child the basics of evolution at the chimpanzee exhibit...when the banjo playing kid from Deliverance walks up with his spawn, points at the chimp, and says...

"Boy, that there's a monkey."

...and then jerks the kid back up the hill by the arm.

Then it struck me...that while Louisville may be fantastic, it's still in Kentucky.

That, and the discussion of "tar fars" in the legislature when my bro-in-law was filming the legislative section..."tar fars" are a serious problem...both truck "tar fars" and car "tar fars."

Needless to say, I'm not surprised that this happened in KY, but I hope that the representatives from the Louisville area are crying themselves to sleep over this.
I did an internship at a church in Louisville and it is 'marvelous'. Its a city four times the size of my own with the same personal crime risk. There was very little litter on the streets compared to here, and the people are friendly. I especially couldn't believe how courteous the drivers were on the roads. Here I've got to be pretty offensive when I need to get someplace. There the drivers are willing to let you in.

I wonder if they teach the the Klan was like the Rotary Club.

Now what's a tar far?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums