Newbury Park, CA
✟8,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone! I've been interested in Ken Wilber for some time now and recently found this video, one of the few I'd not yet watched. I'd love your opinions on it if you're willing to suffer me by watching it. I think that for many of you it will bring a great perspective to religion and spirituality as it has for me and a few of my friends!

Also, pay no heed to the precarious looks and silence Father Keaton is giving throughout, it's irrelevant in context (though he's a fairly strange, but brilliant guy anyhow).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUNlpyfT2LU

I really appreciate your comments on this video, regardless of what your beliefs, and perhaps some good discussion will come of it!

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I really appreciate your comments on this video, regardless of what your beliefs, and perhaps some good discussion will come of it!

I lasted 7.3 minutes. Sounds more like psychology than religion and is certainly not Christian - well not the bit I heard. Sorry - not my cup of tea.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It sounds as though he's giving a more indepth version and promoting the Ophrah Winfrey school of theology. Which is 'there are many ways to God' and avoiding the other issues of, are there many Christian-only ways to God and finally there is only one way to God.

"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (Jn 14:6)

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ken Wilber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't expect much else from someone who
studied in Buddhism and I see no Christianity
anywhere.

A Christian has a special call where philosophy
is concerned:
Colossians 2:7-8
7having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude. 8See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry to see such a lack of interest, but thank you for taking the time to look it over and reply. :)
Pov, I know the feeling of being let down when finding interest
in something we think is 'profound' (I have it happen to me
often actually) -

But my strongest advice is to beware of venturing out into
secular philosophers who do not have the Spirit of God -
becuz TRUE enlightenment comes from Him in what is
most important.
The philosophy you see today from alot of them revolves
around worldly principles and usually leads AWAY from
truth of God in some form or another.

As I see it (how Satan works) is that he puts just enough
truth in there with the lie - so you're fed both.
I just don't see that it's very spiritually beneficial to
have to swallow the lies with the little bit that's actually
accurate.

One other thing I noticed about this guy, he tends to
take alot from others work... I know that's done to some
degree becuz so much has already been explored and
taught and discovered, but... imo, he seemed to gleen
a whole lot from others.

Just some input on that. =)

Upvote 0

Poverello78

Jan 27, 2008
Newbury Park, CA
✟8,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i think keaton makes what wilbur is saying relevant to christianity in this video.

Yes, that's the second part of the same lecture. Wilber and Keating actually did an entire DVD regarding Christianity and these concepts. I've yet to see it, but I'd like to.

Upvote 0

one11

Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I disagree that war is mostly fought over religion. War is mostly fought over greed and man's need for power. The church itself has been guilty of this in centuries past, but currently only extremists are religious war-mongering terrorists and terrorists are not the majority of any religion that I've ever studied.

Power has a hold over man to go to war. I'd recommend watching The Lord of the Rings Trilogy as it is utterly and profoundly brilliant.

I may agree with him in regards to media and it's propaganda playing a part in presenting misinformation. The internet is quickly becoming the mis-information age, unfortunately, especially with the Wikipedia.

Reactions: wayseer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wlajoie74

Jun 11, 2009
✟8,404.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
I disagree that war is mostly fought over religion. War is mostly fought over greed and man's need for power. The church itself has been guilty of this in centuries past, but currently only extremists are religious war-mongering terrorists and terrorists are not the majority of any religion that I've ever studied.

Power has a hold over man to go to war. I'd recommend watching The Lord of the Rings Trilogy as it is utterly and profoundly brilliant.

I may agree with him in regards to media and it's propaganda playing a part in presenting misinformation. The internet is quickly becoming the mis-information age, unfortunately, especially with the Wikipedia.

yes but those men use religion as a tool to get to mens hearts and get them to go to battle. they twist scripture and use it for their own selfish gain. so, while pure religion, or the teachings of the founders of a certain religion may not be the the main cause of war, the misinterpretation of religion is.

I think that this is what he was saying when he claimed that before the cultural surroundings of a jesus, buddha or muhammed formed the religion the faith that was attained through contemplation of God was pure.

Upvote 0

one11

Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've talked to young people who practically worship the Wikipedia and now think they know everything and now are done with real studying which can takes months to years on one subject if not one's whole life time just to study one subject.

However, the wikipedia is like the microwave is to food. I learned in 10 secs or less! Hurray, now I'm done and can go have fun.

Upvote 0

one11

Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
yes but those men use religion as a tool to get to mens hearts and get them to go to battle. they twist scripture and use it for their own selfish gain. so, while pure religion, or the teachings of the founders of a certain religion may not be the the main cause of war, the misinterpretation of religion is.

I think that this is what he was saying when he claimed that before the cultural surroundings of a jesus, buddha or muhammed formed the religion the faith that was attained through contemplation of God was pure.

Well that's because in centuries past a lot of the people were illiterate and uneducated. Education was for the upper classes. However, what was behind the great religions of past was still those of the hiearchies in those churches wanting power and exploiting the masses.

Even today suicide bombers in places like Palestine and elsewhere are paid a huge sum of money to blow up such and such. And these countries are very poor and some of the people are hopeless, as well as some being brain-washed. I speak in reference to the Islam terrorists regarding this.

I saw a TV show on this subject and they pay the suicide bomber's family about $5,000 minimum once the deed is done, and that is a lot of money in countries where the average yearly income is only about four hundred dollars A YEAR.

So, it doesn't seem they really killed or martyred themselves for Allah at all, does it. Sounds like manipulation of poor, desperate, uneducated peasants to me.

Upvote 0

wlajoie74

Jun 11, 2009
✟8,404.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
I've talked to young people who practically worship the Wikipedia and now think they know everything and now are done with real studying which can takes months to years on one subject if not one's whole life time just to study one subject.

However, the wikipedia is like the microwave is to food. I learned in 10 secs or less! Hurray, now I'm done and can go have fun.

it has its ups and downs. overall i think its a pretty good tool. i mean its not the only thing you should use while doing research, but it gives an abundance of information that most of the time is pretty good.

i definetely wouldn't call this the mis-information age. there is an abundance of crap out there, but there is a wealth of knowledge that is available to everyone that wasn't 15 or 20 years ago.

for the dedicated student the possibilities are endless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

one11

Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
it has its ups and downs. overall i think its a pretty good tool. i mean its not the only thing you should use while doing research, but it gives an abundance of information that most of the time is pretty good.

i definetely wouldn't call this the mis-information age. there is an abundance of crap out there, but there is a wealth of knowledge that is available to everyone that wasn't 15 or 20 years ago.

for the dedicated student the possibilities are endless.

Well, to each their own.

I've found too many mistakes in the wikipedia to enjoy reading it at all anymore.

I've learned more reading other "blogs" and just praying God will teach me what he wants me to learn, as all of our gifts our unique to us.

We have to do the best with our gifts. Some are learners and teachers of other things. Other people have gifts that we do not have, and I enjoy hearing different points of view on deep subjects like this because I think all human beings somehow understand or contemplate spirituality at some point in their life time.

However, I think I'd find it hard to be a parent these days, as becoming a parent means you have to go through school TWICE! (lol). I would get far too frustrated with the wikipedia. I'd take my kids to the library. That's just whom I am and the wikipedia has too many mistakes, as do some other websites, especially regarding biblical scripture. Check a real Bible before you believe what some of the spam biblical websites say!

Upvote 0

chingchang

Jul 17, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
✟10,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi everyone! I've been interested in Ken Wilber for some time now and recently found this video, one of the few I'd not yet watched. I'd love your opinions on it if you're willing to suffer me by watching it. I think that for many of you it will bring a great perspective to religion and spirituality as it has for me and a few of my friends!

Also, pay no heed to the precarious looks and silence Father Keaton is giving throughout, it's irrelevant in context (though he's a fairly strange, but brilliant guy anyhow).

YouTube - Tomorrow's Spirituality

Thanks for that video...I appreciated it. For me it all comes down to whether or not Yeshua rose from the dead. If these teacher believe that he did...then they are on to a deeper right understanding and we can learn from them. If they don't believe Yeshua rose from the dead...then what have we to hope in??? Philosophy? We can't think ourselves to God.

Hugs,
CC

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I disagree that war is mostly fought over religion. War is mostly fought over greed and man's need for power.

I would have to agree. Religion get's blamed for every evil committed by humans.

Oh I love It. Another LoTR rings fan. Indeed, the Trilogy demonstrates that power and the quest for power forms the basis of all evil.

Indeed - the seduction of certainty comes in many guises.

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
i definetely wouldn't call this the mis-information age.

There is ample evidence to suggest that there is very much a process of disinformation going on. The whole debacle of last years economic crash was the direct result of disinformation. The whole agenda behind recruiting suicide bombers is disinformation. Much of the arguments about 'climate change' is disinformation. The internet is swamped with disinformation. Much of CF is purpose driven disinformation - just check the stuff on Christian Current Affairs board.

Upvote 0

wlajoie74

Jun 11, 2009
✟8,404.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
There is ample evidence to suggest that there is very much a process of disinformation going on. The whole debacle of last years economic crash was the direct result of disinformation. The whole agenda behind recruiting suicide bombers is disinformation. Much of the arguments about 'climate change' is disinformation. The internet is swamped with disinformation. Much of CF is purpose driven disinformation - just check the stuff on Christian Current Affairs board.

i definetely agree that there is a lot of disinformation out there, but men in power have always twisted things for their own advantage. the reason that i wouldn't call this the mis-information age is we have an abundance of tools to find the truth about things that we didn't have in the past.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.