Keeping God in America:Essay

Ashlee.al1992

Oct 23, 2015
✟15,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello I am a college student and in my English class yesterday (10/22/2015) my professor told the class we are to pick a topic of controversy and we are to argue our topic. We can either argue in defense or opposition to the topic. I asked her if I could do mine on America and God. We have already taken God out of the pledge, from what I hear the government is now considering taking God off the dollar bill, the 7 years of debt that is in the bible has been changed to 10 years before you are cleared of your debts, and it continues to go on.. I really want to do my essay on this topic however, I don't know where to begin. So I wanted to reach out to the Christian community to ask if any of you have heard or seen any news articles that you could link me to. I've searched on google, my local newspaper, and as much enthusiasm as I have for this assignment I am completely stumped on where to begin!

Last edited:
Reactions: Swan7

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow you certainly chose a challenge! I would start with Obama in... I think either 2008 or 2009 when he declared America is no longer a Christian nation.
And it goes beyond that, look on the dollar bill and you'll see a pyramid with the "all seeing eye". I can't get too in depth since I am at work presently, but that symbolism is about the illuminati working towards a One World Government. That is why they are trying so hard on kicking God out from the currency bills - to fit their own agenda.

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its my opinion that the Church should stay far away from politics. Politics are dirty and always have been. If we try to join politics with the gospel we will only tarnish the message. The Church gets blamed all the time for evil things because religious leaders have not always followed the teaching of the bible. If the apostles were alive today I don't think they would be involved in American politics, or any other. All politics are full of lies and we cannot join the truth with lies. Look at how people glorify America for being a godly nation, yet it is America who didn't give the American Indians justice. America mistreated them and stole everything from them.

This is not the fault of true Christians however because the true followers of Christ wanted to live side by side with Indians, but it was greed that was found in politics that is at fault. In both Old and New testaments, God is concerned with justice and love above all else. He wants us to treat each other with love and to act justly. Politics will never be just or loving, and they will only lead us astray and tarnish the gospel. We cannot force people to live a godly life by passing laws, and we cannot allow politic to tarnish the gospel either. We are holy and called to be holy. Holiness is to separate ourselves from this world and to seek the kingdom of Christ, but not seek to establish an earthly nation, because that is futile. It was futile in the Old testament, and its surely futile in these last days we are in.

In all my study of scripture, I have never seen an example or teaching from the Lord or his apostles that we should be involved in politics or nation building. Instead I have been lead away from those things. I was once a republican, but now like paul, I consider my politics as rubbish and I forsake them for something better.

2 Corinthians 6 We then, as workers together with Him also plead with you not to receive the grace of God in vain. 2 For He says:

“In an acceptable time I have heard you,
And in the day of salvation I have helped you.”[a]

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.

3 We give no offense in anything, that our ministry may not be blamed. 4 But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God: in much patience, in tribulations, in needs, in distresses, 5 in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in fastings; 6 by purity, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by sincere love, 7 by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, 8 by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true; 9 as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold we live; as chastened, and yet not killed; 10 as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Be Holy

11 O Corinthians! We have spoken openly to you, our heart is wide open. 12 You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted by your own affections. 13 Now in return for the same (I speak as to children), you also be open.

14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will dwell in them
And walk among them.
I will be their God,
And they shall be My people.”[c]

17 Therefore

“Come out from among them
And be separate, says the Lord.
Do not touch what is unclean,
And I will receive you.”[d]

“I will be a Father to you,
And you shall be My sons and daughters,
Says the Lord Almighty.”[e]

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I am very displeased with how America it seems is trying to kick God out. We have already taken God out of the pledge
Careful using that as an argument. We didn't put him in the pledge until 1954, and that was really just the result of the political climate of that time.

Upvote 0

Ashlee.al1992

Oct 23, 2015
✟15,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
At Cearbhall, I understand. I just don't agree with it. This nation was formed as a Godly nation and even the men who signed our constitution said that men are all created equal under God because it was God who gave us those rights and therefore they cannot be taken away from us. That is why I am upset about the government taking "Under God" out of the pledge.

Swan7, Thank you I will look into that.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This nation was formed as a Godly nation and even the men who signed our constitution said that men are all created equal under God because it was God who gave us those rights and therefore they cannot be taken away from us.
That was the Declaration, which is not a legal document. The Constitution, which is the actual foundation of our government, states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

If you want to write your paper on this topic, it's very important to avoid equating the personal religious beliefs of the Founding Fathers with their beliefs about the government's role in religion. Setting aside the fact that some of them were Deists, a Christian who believes that all people were created equal by an intelligent being does not necessarily want that logic to be the basis of a government.

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
America killed Indians and British in order to have this freedom. The apostles didn't kill their enemies though, and they were persecuted. I'm having a hard time seeing how America was ever a godly nation. As a Christian, I would actually want to distance myself from America, and every other nation.

Upvote 0

GraceDriven

Jun 1, 2015
✟8,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
America killed Indians and British in order to have this freedom. The apostles didn't kill their enemies though, and they were persecuted. I'm having a hard time seeing how America was ever a godly nation. As a Christian, I would actually want to distance myself from America, and every other nation.

I believe the killing of the Brits was a necessity. This country was built on the foundation of one being able to practice their faith.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello I am a college student and in my English class yesterday (10/22/2015) my professor told the class we are to pick a topic of controversy and we are to argue our topic. We can either argue in defense or opposition to the topic. I asked her if I could do mine on America and God. We have already taken God out of the pledge, from what I hear the government is now considering taking God off the dollar bill, the 7 years of debt that is in the bible has been changed to 10 years before you are cleared of your debts, and it continues to go on.. I really want to do my essay on this topic however, I don't know where to begin. So I wanted to reach out to the Christian community to ask if any of you have heard or seen any news articles that you could link me to. I've searched on google, my local newspaper, and as much enthusiasm as I have for this assignment I am completely stumped on where to begin!
The Constitution would be a good place to start. The bill of rights, and the amendments. The intent of the language of these writings. The direction that America went from those days. How did America come up with a Bible belt? What about all those Catholic missions of the southwest? The Old church buildings in the Northeast? All of these things Prove that this nation was built by Godly people.....thus a Godly Nation. The Europeans that came to this country came to escape oppression especially religious oppression. These are good for a start.

Reactions: Ashlee.al1992
Upvote 0

GraceDriven

Jun 1, 2015
✟8,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution

A love of mine:

http://cathstan.org/Content/News/Pa...-as-a-landmark-of-religious-freedom/2/20/4009

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe the killing of the Brits was a necessity. This country was built on the foundation of one being able to practice their faith.

No, killing for freedom is never necessary. Its a shame that Christians would want to tarnish the gospel of peace by suggesting that Christ condoned the killing of British. Paul never advocated the killing of Pharisees, nor of Romans. WE are supposed to bear our own cross and that doesn't include killing, but it includes following Christ to the cross.

Perhaps we should spend more time mediating on the New Testament letters and the Gospel record, rather than the constitution and politics.

Upvote 0

GraceDriven

Jun 1, 2015
✟8,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
No, killing for freedom is never necessary. Its a shame that Christians would want to tarnish the gospel of peace by suggesting that Christ condoned the killing of British. Paul never advocated the killing of Pharisees, nor of Romans. WE are supposed to bear our own cross and that doesn't include killing, but it includes following Christ to the cross.
I disagree with it not being necessary. Unfortunately, we don't live in a world where everyone treats everyone in a Christian like manner or any other faith that preaches peace. We don't and we have to fight sometimes. What would future generations have if some dictatorship decided it was their way or no way. Do we expect our children to live in such a world? War should not be the answer but we live in a imperfect world.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with it not being necessary. Unfortunately, we don't live in a world where everyone treats everyone in a Christian like manner or any other faith that preaches peace. We don't and we have to fight sometimes. What would future generations have if some dictatorship decided it was their way or no way. Do we expect our children to live in such a world? War should not be the answer but we live in a imperfect world.

The point of the Gospel is to live apart from worldly things, which is why killing is never a necessity. God is in control.

Nahum 1:2 "God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies."

Thus leave the enemies in the hands of God for He has commanded us not to kill. Exodus 20:13

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Why didn't the Apostles fight the Romans or the Pharisees then? Who should we follow? The apostles, or the American politicians?

Doesn't it bother you that there are no examples in scripture of the church killing anyone? The apostles were persecuted by both Pharisees and Romans, yet they never killed anyone. They never tried to liberate Israel or any Gentile nation from the Romans, or the Pharisees. Why should we follow the American forefathers instead of the apostles? Many of the American forefathers were not actually Christian but were deists, and the ones who were Christian sure didn't seem to be following the apostles teaching or example, not in my opinion.

I don't want the Gospel tarnished by the dirt of politicians and worldly men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We live in a imperfect world. Whole groups of people would have disappeared if there was not someone to defend them.

IN Romans 13 we see Paul teaching that they should submit to the government, but not overthrow them in war like America did with the British. Its that government that keep the peace, however that government is not the church. Those were pagan Romans that Paul was telling his listeners to submit to. Why did Paul tell his readers to submit to the pagan Roman government? Do you think they were better than the British?

The truth is that the church doesn't promote nor fight war, no matter who is in control of the government, but instead they submit to government. From what I can see the American revolution was not godly but was instead worldly. Why then are we saying America was a godly nation?

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I bet there is a strong argument that our forefathers were well versed in the bible and were influenced by it.

YEs they were influenced by old testament scripture but they seemed to ignore the New testament scripture. The forefathers were worldly men. They had no understanding of what Paul teaches us. They were like so many Christians today who lack proper understanding. The forefathers thought we were fighting against evil, but they forgot that paul said that we don't wage war in the flesh, and that our weapons of warfare are spiritual, not carnal. They, like many Christians today, were not meditating on the New testament letters but instead had their mind wrapped up in politics and old testament scripture.

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I believe, if we look how rest of the world was at the time when America declared it's independence, people who made most job to kick Christianity out of America were the founding fathers. European nations at the time were Christian nations, meaning that Christianity was part of their legislation. In many countries in Europe at the time, it was not possible to be a citizen of any country without being Christian. Church and the state were pretty much the same thing.

American founding fathers ideas were radically secular for the time by declaring freedom of religion. Freedom of religion was seen as a very ungodly idea at the time. Godly people back in times supported idea of Christian nation with Christian monarch (In Europe that is, not sure about americans), not religious freedom which can give rise to any kind of heresies without the possiblity of godly king intervining.

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe, if we look how rest of the world was at the time when America declared it's independence, people who made most job to kick Christianity out of America were the founding fathers. European nations at the time were Christian nations, meaning that Christianity was part of their legislation. In many countries in Europe at the time, it was not possible to be a citizen of any country without being Christian. Church and the state were pretty much the same thing.

American founding fathers ideas were radically secular for the time by declaring freedom of religion. Freedom of religion was seen as a very ungodly idea at the time. Godly people back in times supported idea of Christian nation with Christian monarch (In Europe that is, not sure about americans), not religious freedom which can give rise to any kind of heresies without the possiblity of godly king intervining.

There were plenty of heresies in Europe before America, and after as well. America has its own Heresy too.

Upvote 0