MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up in the fifties with practical parents. My mother, God love her , ironed Christmas wrapping paper and ribbons and packed them away to use next year. She washed aluminum foil after she cooked in it, then reused it. She was the original recycle queen, before they had a name for it. It was the time for fixing things: a curtain rod, the kitchen radio, the screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress and darning socks. It was a way of life. Waste not, want not. Sometimes it drove me crazy; all that fixing, reheating, renewing, etc. Just once, I wanted to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant that you knew there would always be more.
Then my mother died and as I sat in the kitchen that Sunday afternoon reading her old handmade cookbook in a binder, I was struck with the pain of feeling all alone and learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore." Sometimes what we value most gets all used up and goes away, never to return. So...while we have it...It's best we love it...and care for it...and fix it when it's broken...and heal it when it's sick. This is true...for marriages...old cars...children with bad report cards...dogs with bad hips...and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it and because we are worth it. Some things we keep, like a best friend that moved away or a classmate that we grew up with. There are some things and people in life that are that important. They are "keepers" and we need to care for them, fix them and keep them close!
- anonymous

Who and what are the keepers in your life? Prom's message for the day.:)
Have a blessed Lord's Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.