phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When looking on any calender the first day of the week is Sunday. Why is it that so many church's meet on Sunday, the first day of the week and not the seventh?

You will have to speak with the other churches; however, most Baptists believe that Sunday is the proper day to attend Church to worship God rather than Saturday. Even Baptist Churches are going away from the Scriptural teachings. However, proper worship is done everyday, not solely on one day of the week. We could change Sunday to Monday or any other day of the week to attend Church, and we would still be blessed by God. Do you remember this verse,

Matthew
18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am​
I in the midst of them.

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When looking on any calender the first day of the week is Sunday. Why is it that so many church's meet on Sunday, the first day of the week and not the seventh?
I am not trying to be funny here but one way you could respect the Sabbath and keep it Holy is to make sure you spell it right, now to answer your question we gather on the first day of the week for that is when the Bible tells us to:

1 Corinthians 16:2
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
KJV

Acts 20:7
7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
KJV

Also Jesus became our Sabbath, come unto me and I will give you rest and scriptures says that whoever goes back under the law after grace then they fall from grace. and if you keep one part of the law then you have to keep the whole law. I certainly hope you know that part of the Sabbath law was if one traveled too far on the Sabbath, that they were suppose to be stoned to death, so do you really keep the whole law of the Sabbath or just the part you would have us to be under also??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The New Testament makes it clear that the observance of a particular day was not imposed as a binding obligation.
Romans 14
5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

This passage makes it clear that there was some freedom in the matter of special days.
Colossians 2
16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day --
17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come ; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Here, Paul commanded the church not to allow anyone to act as their judge in regard to sabbath days.
Galatians 4
9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again ?
10 You observe days and months and seasons and years.
Again, Paul warns against going back under the Law by insisting on the legal requirement of special days.

The records that remain in the New Testament show that the first day of the week soon became a day of worship. When Paul wanted to collect an offering from the church at Corinth, he asked them to gather the money on the "first day of the week".
1 Corinthians
2 On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

And when he wanted to meet with the believers at Troas, the gathering took place "on the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread".
Acts 20
7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.
There is no Scripture passage that specifically teaches that the sabbath has been transferred from one day to another. It seems most likely that the shift from Saturday to Sunday was gradual, and took place along with the change from a mostly Jewish church to a mostly Gentile one. The early church fathers generally viewed sabbath as a Jewish observance, and the Lord's Day, Sunday as identified by John in The Revelation, as the proper Christian observance.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My church meets on Saturday nights. I really don't think it matters as long as you recognize some day out of the week as the sabbath and take that day to relax and worship that is all that matters. It could be a Tuesday God doesn't care he just wants your time.

Saying things like church has to be on a certain day at a certain time is religious pharisee garbage.

Upvote 0