Keep Christ in Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many people, even some Christians, fail to do this, but please, keep Christ is Christmas. This holiday is a celebration that the savior of all humanity was born, and we should all rejoice in him. I am truly blessed in my life because of him, and I look forward to being able to enjoy a "true" Christmas, worshipping him. Santa is fun and all, but he is definitely not the Son of God, and certainly not my savior like Jesus Christ is.

I agree however, look at it this way: we continue to call it Christmas, but the others remove the christmas and call it "the holiday season" or whatever, so they can have thier santa and thier stupid ornaments everywhere and not relate it to the birth of christ. Kinda like rammedan or hannuka (apologies for spelling).

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by syphina
I agree however, look at it this way: we continue to call it Christmas, but the others remove the christmas and call it "the holiday season" or whatever, so they can have thier santa and thier stupid ornaments everywhere and not relate it to the birth of christ. Kinda like rammedan or hannuka (apologies for spelling).

Actually, a lot of people say "Christmas season". That's what I like to call it. Christmas is so much more than just that single day. There's advent, and all that other good stuff, and it's just so awesome!!! :D

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
The problem is not Santa Claus so much as the commercialized version of him. Santa Claus is Dutch for Saint Nicholas a great Early Bishop in Asia Minor. He was noted for his care for the poor and the innocent especially children. Many modern myths have been added to secularize this saint and make him into a story book figure. The Key is to be able to shed the mythical garbage and share with our children the truth of a blessed event. I AM NOT ADVOCATING THE pagan origins of Christmas myth either!! :) before anyone gets confused!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by shout2thelord
Ive noticed most of the signs around the shops say xmas theyve literally taken Christ out of christmas.

Actually -- if memory serves -- "X" is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ, "Xristos", I believe. I view the "X" as an abbreviation of that Greek Christ word. Just something to think about... ;)

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
Christ in greek is (Christos; chi-rho-iota-sigma-tau-omicron-sigma).

About the Chi Rho Symbol

The Chi Rho symbol is generally depicted as the Greek letter chi (which looks like the Roman alphabet X) superimposed over the elongated stem of the Greek letter rho (which looks like the Roman alphabet P). It is a Christian symbol representing Jesus Christ, with the chi and rho being the first two letters in the Greek spelling of Christ (Christos; chi-rho-iota-sigma-tau-omicron-sigma).

The Chi Rho symbol is also called the labarum, the Monogram of Christ, Constantine's Cross, the Chrismon, the Christogram, and the Monogram of Constantine. The Chi Rho symbol was used to represent Jesus even before 312 AD. However, in 312 AD, the Roman Emperor Constantine I was said to have had a vision or a dream of the Chi Rho symbol in the sky in which were emblazoned the Greek words 'en touto Nika' (translated in Latin into 'In Hoc Signo Vinces' and in English into "In this sign (the cross) you will conquer." Some believe that the arrangement of stars in the night sky of 27 October 312 formed the Chi Rho. In any event, Constantine I had his troops' shields emblazoned with this symbol and created his own standard with the Chi Rho and the 'en touto Nika' as prominent symbols. Constantine I, although outmanned, defeated his enemy and became sole emperor of the Roman Empire.

Constantine I then converted to Christianity, becoming the first Roman Emperor to do so. Christians were now free to practice their faith, and Constantine I and his mother encouraged the Christians. Constantine I and his mother were sainted by the Catholic Church.

To this day, the Chi Rho symbol is used to represent Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.