Elduran

Disruptive influence
May 19, 2005
✟9,830.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oh, sorry about that. I guess I got confused because social evolutoin and the theory of evolution both use the same word: evolution. So does that mean that social evolution should be excluded as a topic on this forum, even though the word Evolution is used in it's description? Or that we should only talk about what Darwin said about evolution and we should not talk about what Marx said about evolution?

Induction: mathematical proof from one term to another.

Induction: generation of electrical current using magnetic fields.

Same word, different fields completely. Do I really need to say anything more at this stage?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It might be an interesting question as to whether Marx did have an influence on Darwin. Maybe he did; I don't know myself. Maybe Darwin did read Marx and think, hmm, this does remind me of the ways certain classes of animals compete...and maybe this did help Darwin to come up with the theory of evolution. OK. Interesting question.

HOWEVER! I have deep misgivings. I fear that what we may see hear is some creationist, or fundamentalist critic of evolution saying, "See! Darwin was influenced by Marx! Evolution is tainted by Communism! Evolution is evil!" or something similar.

So it's worth mentioning now: Darwin was a big help in developing the idea of evolution; but it doesn't matter at all what we find out about his personal beliefs; science has taken Darwin's theory, tested it, revised it, refined it and made it it's own. To give an extreme example, if we found out that Darwin was in fact a secret Young Earth Creationist who wrote Origin of Species as a joke (!!!) it would have no impact at all on the modern science of evolution.

Upvote 0

RN4CHRIST

Contributor
Aug 16, 2005
The boonies.
✟24,551.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Closed Permanently for multiple violations of
2.1 No Flaming

You will not "flame" other members or groups of members. Flaming includes, but is not limited to:
- Ridiculing, insulting, or demeaning another member or group of members;
- Ridiculing another member's beliefs;
- Ridiculing public figures important to another's religious beliefs;
- Stating or implying that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian;
- Calling or describing other people, groups, belief-systems, or ideas as heresy or a cult (or derivatives of these words). Instead of using these emotionally charged words, please state "X is wrong because of Y" rather than using these words in polemical discussion;
- Asking loaded questions that directly cause flames in response;
- Using sarcasm to attempt any of the above; and
- Threats of any sort, including advocating or supporting physical or mental harm against another living creature (this creature clause does not apply to political discussions of military action, hunting/fishing discussions nor ethical discussions of capital punishment).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.