pirateninja

Nov 5, 2009
Canberra
✟15,131.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
A little while ago I posted here noting that I am an atheist, but was interested in getting some pointers to rebuttals of atheism. I had a number of interesting suggestions which I am working my way through, eg in particular Alistair McGrath and Keith Ward.

One of the recommendations that I am reading right now is Karen Armstrong's The Case for God.

I have to say I am a bit taken aback by this one - even from my knowledge of 30 years as a Christian before becoming an athiest. In short, it seems to me that Armstrong's views are a bit left field compared with common Christian perspectives.

I was wondering if any Christians who have read Armstrong have any views on this?

JasperJackson

Sinner and Saint
Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
pirateninja,

No, I've not read any of her work, but I did have a look at her Wiki page and it seems that she is certainly not a mainstream Christian, as this quote indicates:
All the great traditions are saying the same thing in much the same way, despite their surface differences.

But, I think its great to read a variety of authors, so enjoy the read!

What is there in her book that seems "left field"?

Upvote 0

pirateninja

Nov 5, 2009
Canberra
✟15,131.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
What is there in her book that seems "left field"?

I should reiterate/clarify: I'm not saying "Karen Armstrong lets you down so atheists win" - I know there is diversity in the church. The reason I was asking was that, as I said, the book was recommended to me on this site and I found it, well, pretty diverse. I was also reluctant to say why I thought this because I wanted the opinions of others, and not have the issue seen through my atheist lenses.

But since you ask ...;)

the book the Case for God is intended as a response to atheists by way of explaining to them (well, us) how we fundamentally misunderstand religion and so set up straw men to knock them down. My take on Armstrong is that she considers religion to be entirely a practice with no other content than human desire for transcendance. So: god, jesus, the resurrection: all symbolic. The bible: myth. God's existence is irrelevant and indeed the wrong question. She says in as many words that anyone who looks in the bible and expects to get direction on how to live life is just not getting what the bible is about.

So, she says, atheists who think that god is real, and that Jesus was real, and the resurrection actually happened, and that religion provides guidance and rules, doesn't really understand whaat religion is about and so our arguments are completely missing the target.

But: I used to be a Christian, and I really believed that god exists, that Jesus exists, and through the cross and resurrection Jesus provides us with the means to enjoy eternal life. It seems to me (deliberate understatement here) that that is what most Christians think. The upshot is that Armstrong is not just saying that atheits misunderstand religion, she is saying that most christians throughout christian history misunderstand religion as well.

I said I didn't want to speak for Armstrong in case I misrepresented her views, but here is a cut-down extract of the comments in this link (Armstrong 'versus' Dawkins on evolution):

Man vs. God - WSJ.com

Richard Dawkins has been right all along, of course—at least in one important respect... there is no Intelligence controlling the cosmos, and that life itself is the result of a blind process of natural selection, in which innumerable species failed to survive... if there was a divine plan, it was cruel, callously prodigal and wasteful. Human beings were not the pinnacle of a purposeful creation; like everything else, they evolved by trial and error and God had no direct hand in their making....

If you read the article you'll note a lot of references to past religious practice; by way of background to her thinking, the general sense of The Case for God is that to understand religion we have to go back to the documents that pre-date the bible (eg when Yaweh was just one local god among many) and take the view that everyone who has contributed to or reflected on the bible since 1,200 BC has got it wrong (she is particularly harsh on the authors of Deuteronomy) - except theologians taking her apophatic approach. OK, I exaggerate on this point, but not much.

I'd be inclined to regard Armtrong as less of an out-there theist and more of a confused atheist, to be frank. But, no doubt, others may disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd be inclined to regard Armtrong as less of an out-there theist and more of a confused atheist, to be frank. But, no doubt, others may disagree.

I think you have identify Armstrong to a T. She says nice sounding things but there is no depth to her books. She sounds to me she like her atheism but also wants to keep her feet in both camps.

Upvote 0

pirateninja

Nov 5, 2009
Canberra
✟15,131.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I think you have identify Armstrong to a T. She says nice sounding things but there is no depth to her books. She sounds to me she like her atheism but also wants to keep her feet in both camps.

I should say as historical analyses her discussion and conculsions are well researched and pretty much in line with current thinking in theology and history or religions. It's just that when she then applies those conclusions outside of history to say, for example, "god doesn't matter to religion" I suspect she is out of step with most believers - not just of Christianity but any theistic religion.

Upvote 0

pirateninja

Nov 5, 2009
Canberra
✟15,131.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing that none of the Exploring Christianity regulars have read her work and are in a position to comment on it.

Fair enough. I only asked here because it was here that I got the recommendation to read it. As I said, It's pretty out there and I wasn't trying to say "gotcha", just wondered if there are other views.

Catchya later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldChurchGuy

Feb 19, 2007
✟15,752.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough. I only asked here because it was here that I got the recommendation to read it. As I said, It's pretty out there and I wasn't trying to say "gotcha", just wondered if there are other views.

Catchya later.

I am in the process of reading her book and have greatly enjoyed her other books (A History of God, The Bible: A Biography).

It is my initial impression she seems to be presenting faith / belief as a philosophy. I will know more (I hope) when I have finished the book.

As always,

OldChurchGuy

Upvote 0