Kansas to criminalize sex education...

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Considering MachZer0's claim that the places with the lowest teen pregnancy rates are the ones teaching abstinence only:

The following states require teachers to stress abstinence in their sex education while not requiring them to mention contraception. In brackets behind these numbers, I shall write the ranking of their teen pregnancy (15-19). The lower the number, the higher the ranking. (They are ranked after their per capita number)

Arizone (18)
Arkansas (4)
Florida (19)
Georgia (11)
Indiana (29)
Louisiana (5)
Michigan (31)
Mississippi (2)
Missouri (25)
Ohio (26)
Oklahoma (6)
Tenessee (17)
Texas (3)
Utah (45)
Wisconsin (44)

Sources:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends10.pdf
http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_SE.pdf

Upvote 0

WoundedDeep

Oct 21, 2014
✟8,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
US law is secular, Jesus is already not emphasized by it.

But there is something even more dangerous about having a law that emphasises only outward righteousness, but leaves faith in Jesus Christ out. It creates a form of self righteousness, and belief in a false God or Messiah, just like what the Pharisees were like in Jesus' day.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to the link in the OP, it is predicted that educators will self-censor so much that effective sex education will become very hard.

No, the link did not say that. It said that teachers would not be showing controversial sexual content to minor children

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Considering MachZer0's claim that the places with the lowest teen pregnancy rates are the ones teaching abstinence only:

The following states require teachers to stress abstinence in their sex education while not requiring them to mention contraception. In brackets behind these numbers, I shall write the ranking of their teen pregnancy (15-19). The lower the number, the higher the ranking. (They are ranked after their per capita number)

Arizone (18)
Arkansas (4)
Florida (19)
Georgia (11)
Indiana (29)
Louisiana (5)
Michigan (31)
Mississippi (2)
Missouri (25)
Ohio (26)
Oklahoma (6)
Tenessee (17)
Texas (3)
Utah (45)
Wisconsin (44)

Sources:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends10.pdf
http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_SE.pdf

I never said that. Please don't misrepresent what I say in order to build a straw man argument

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Places where abstinence only is practiced are places with the lowest rates of ten pregnancies and STD's

There.

And now you of course will try to salvage the post with something like "I meant abstinence only practices and not abstinence only education", although the topic was abstinence only education and abstinence only itself is a term only used in sex ed.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There.

And now you of course will try to salvage the post with something like "I meant abstinence only practices and not abstinence only education", although the topic was abstinence only education and abstinence only itself is a term only used in sex ed.
I meant exactly what I said and I was exactly right. Apologies may be in order

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The horror. 10 year olds might not know what blow jobs are. Oh, woe to our nation.

Strange how I've always handled my 14 year old son's sex ed at home, by having a completely open and honest rapport with him, along with my husband. I've opted him out of every "sex ed" class at school, and oddly enough, he isn't turning into some sexually repressed hornball. We talk openly about everything, questions are always welcome, and there is no "taboo" topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's awesome when it works this way, Inkachu, but for some kids, parents aren't that open and approachable.
Some of us just don't believe that allowing government to introduce our children to controversial sexual content is the appropriate thing to do

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's awesome when it works this way, Inkachu, but for some kids, parents aren't that open and approachable.

Yah, I know, but I still don't think it's the government's job to step in and educate a child about something that is so personal and intimate. School is for learning about history and math and geography, not masturbation and oral sex. Especially for young children; I mean, if you're talking about middle schoolers, they're going to be as young as 9 or 10 years old. I think sex ed should be an optional class offered to high schoolers, and parental consent should be required. Obviously, that isn't the way the world functions right now, that's just what I personally think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kansas Republicans want to criminalize teaching about sex, nude art, and ?harmful? books

what is wrong with the US? What I find funny is they talk about this horribly offensive sex education postre, and I'm picturing something like the ipod comercials or such...no it's just a sheet of paper with lists of thing including oral sex and grinding...that is so offensive they must have issues with sex education? In a part of the US that already has out of control teen pregnancies....

Looks like I need to order some sex ed books for some after school teaching before it is to late.

Of couse I live in a state that is a bit saner, but I don't know for how long...

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yah, I know, but I still don't think it's the government's job to step in and educate a child about something that is so personal and intimate. School is for learning about history and math and geography, not masturbation and oral sex. Especially for young children; I mean, if you're talking about middle schoolers, they're going to be as young as 9 or 10 years old. I think sex ed should be an optional class offered to high schoolers, and parental consent should be required. Obviously, that isn't the way the world functions right now, that's just what I personally think.

Given the public health issue of STD's and the cost of unwated pregnaces, I see why the government wants it taught in schools. A penny of prevention...

Also, there is the question of the quality of the education from the parents. I got a better education from my school district then I did from my parents. And they did try, they left out a sex edu book that didn't teach me much that I didn't already know from school. And my folks where libral for the time. At least with public schools you can find out about what will be taught and if you need to add or subtract from it.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looks like I need to order some sex ed books for some after school teaching before it is to late.

Of couse I live in a state that is a bit saner, but I don't know for how long...
As it should be

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given the public health issue of STD's and the cost of unwated pregnaces, I see why the government wants it taught in schools. A penny of prevention...

Also, there is the question of the quality of the education from the parents. I got a better education from my school district then I did from my parents. And they did try, they left out a sex edu book that didn't teach me much that I didn't already know from school. And my folks where libral for the time. At least with public schools you can find out about what will be taught and if you need to add or subtract from it.
Therein lies the biggest problem. Unwanted pregnancies and STD's should not be considered a public health problem. They should be considered private problems. You get pregnant, your problem, you solve it. You get an STD, your problem, you solve it. That would go much farther to reducing unwanted pregnancies and STD's than all the sex ed in public schools

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As it should be

Sorry, I don't agree. This teaching everything that should become public knowage takes a lot of time that I don't have. Where do I get it? Out of the two hour commute I have since the closest house I could afford it out that far? Or out of the chores I do? Or out of work I need to do?

This catoring to everyones independent beliefs does not work, and the benifits are there in black and white in charts. The state should be looking at what works best, not what is unsupprotted belief.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Therein lies the biggest problem. Unwanted pregnancies and STD's should not be considered a public health problem. They should be considered private problems. You get pregnant, your problem, you solve it. You get an STD, your problem, you solve it. That would go much farther to reducing unwanted pregnancies and STD's than all the sex ed in public schools

Sorry, don't agree. I use to, until I saw how much my state pays out for public care and how much of that goes to child care, medical expences, etc.

I have been able to avoid all that becuase I was educated in a public school where I was taught about safe sex and STD's. I think the more students have this info, the more would avoid costing the tax payer money.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Oh, I can understand the "why" of it all. I just think it's being done in the wrong manner. I am not entirely against a sex ed class being available to kids whose parents may not feel comfortable broaching the topic at home. I just think the content should be restricted to the basics (ie, not containing social/political leanings), not taught in elementary or middle schools, and be optional, not part of the regular curriculum, for high schoolers. I also believe that schools should always encourage parents to talk to children, and children to talk to parents, first and foremost. The ultimate goal should be cooperation between student, parents, and school, not the school taking over in place of the parents.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been able to avoid all that becuase I was educated in a public school where I was taught about safe sex and STD's. I think the more students have this info, the more would avoid costing the tax payer money.

Do you know what's being taught in today's "sex ed" classes, though? People of our generation were usually taught from relatively dry, basic, non-interesting books and illustrations. You know, this is a uterus, this is a ball, this is a condom, insert giggling and blushing from the students. Kids today are being taught how to mutually touch each other as part of "sex ed". Is that something you want your 12 year old learning? I was lucky enough to intercept a permission slip that my son's school sent home for a special assembly they were going to have with a local Planned Parenthood representative, to teach a sex ed class. I later learned that some of the material included in that class were things that would make some of us have our hair stand on end. I was thoroughly disgusted that they were bringing this garbage into a middle school. I wonder how many parents signed that permission slip, thinking it would be something harmless, or helpful, without bothering to find out themselves what materials would be taught to their own children.

Upvote 0