Oregon
✟958,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You're describing a hypothesis, not a theory. To become a confirmed theory, a hypothesis must make testable predictions, which must then be verified.

My experience is people are sitting around in the break room, and someone says "the oddest thing happened today..." And people start saying "well did you check...?" or "Maybe it's..." And eventually, someone tries to see. If one of those ideas is confirmed by evidence, someone writes a paper and it's on its way to being a theory. Next step is for other scientists to see if they can duplicate the results. If they can, then they write papers, and eventually after a lot of confirmations, scientists conclude that the idea is right. And that's what a theory is.

In science, that is. I've been told that lawyers use the term as "not confirmed but what I'd like it to be." But if you do science, you should use scientific terms.
the·o·ry
/ˈTHirē/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.
    "Darwin's theory of evolution"
    • a set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based.
      "a theory of education"
    • an idea used to account for a situation or justify a course of action.
      "my theory would be that the place has been seriously mismanaged"

hy·poth·e·sis
/hīˈpäTHəsəs/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.
    "professional astronomers attacked him for popularizing an unconfirmed hypothesis"

PHILOSOPHY
    • a proposition made as a basis for reasoning, without any assumption of its truth.
      "the hypothesis that every event has a cause.

So, instead of saying, "I have a theory", I should be saying, "I have a hypothesis", etc...?

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Where it says in the article below, “That is, these early JWST results suggest that the formation of normal galaxy structure was much earlier than previously thought.” Does that mean they think the universe is older or younger than previously thought?

What if the Big Bang never happened? The James Webb Space Telescope might change everything

It means it got wayyyy too mature wayyy too fast and they don't know how to explain it from a "there is no god" POV.

Naturalism is the religion of those who claim that God is not needed for the results that we see in nature. Rather they claim "it just happens to so happen". So they had this story line going for the big bang that is being called into question by observations that do not fit the story.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, instead of saying, "I have a theory", I should be saying, "I have a hypothesis", etc...?

Unless your idea has testable predictions that have been repeatedly verified by new evidence. At that point, a hypothesis becomes a theory. Keep in mind, a hypothesis isn't just imaginative idea; it has to be testable or it's not even a hypothesis.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Naturalism is the religion of those who claim that God is not needed for the results that we see in nature. Rather they claim "it just happens to so happen". So they had this story line going for the big bang that is being called into question by observations that do not fit the story.

Actually, the Big Bang was discovered by a Christian minister. So your assumption is completely wrong.

Upvote 0