Midwest
✟157,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There’s speculation that the JWST may be on the verge of finding life on another planet or in another galaxy.
If intelligent life is ever found elsewhere, what does that say about Catholicism, the Bible and salvation?
I read an article from, I think Brother Guy Cosolmagno, that said something to the effect that Theologians would have a lot of work to do.
What would all that do to Catholicism?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There’s speculation that the JWST may be on the verge of finding life on another planet or in another galaxy.
If intelligent life is ever found elsewhere, what does that say about Catholicism, the Bible and salvation?
I read an article from, I think Brother Guy Cosolmagno, that said something to the effect that Theologians would have a lot of work to do.
What would all that do to Catholicism?
Well, first I suppose we should plan to send some missionaries just in case they have fallen and haven't heard the Gospel. Perhaps they are waiting, like the Jews of old, for word of a savior from the stars? Or to report back that they were unfallen or else how they were redeemed. I see this as an adventure.

I don't think there is a thing to fear theologically. But I'm sure that relativists will say this disproves the faith. I don't think so for a second.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That’s a book! :)
But what I want to know is this. If intelligent life is found elsewhere, would that discredit the Bible or our faith? BTW, I’m returning to the Catholic Church. It was iffy for a long time, back and forth between Catholicism and LCMS but I think I’m ready to return. I just hope it sticks for me this time.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I’ve read that if aliens are found, it would affect salvation though I don’t understand how.
I don't think it would have an effect at all ... unless they could show how the whole Bible was staged by them. I think that's most unlikely. So I would be happy to see intelligent aliens if they were peaceful and scared out of my wits if they weren't. But as to my faith, I have no worries from aliens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it would have an effect at all ... unless they could show how the whole Bible was staged by them. I think that's most unlikely. So I would be happy to see intelligent aliens if they were peaceful and scared out of my wits if they weren't. But as to my faith, I have no worries from aliens.
Good.

Upvote 0