trying!
Jun 26, 2002
Norwich, UK
Visit site
✟192.00
Faith
Christian
JUSTICE AS WORSHIP

"...for I, the LORD, love justice..." (Isaiah 61:8)

---

We stand up. We sing a few songs. We express to God how amazing he is, and how we want to live for him, for an hour or so. We make a righteous noise. Is this all there is to worship?

Not according to the bible:

"I, the LORD, hate and despise your religious celebrations and your times of worship. I won't accept your offerings or animal sacrifices-- not even your very best. No more of your noisy songs! I won't listen when you play your harps. But let justice and fairness flow like a river that never runs dry." (Amos 5:21-24)

"Do you think the LORD wants you to give up eating and to act as humble as a bent-over bush? Or to dress in sackcloth and sit in ashes? Is this really what he wants on a day of worship? I'll tell you what it really means to worship the LORD. Remove the chains of prisoners who are chained unjustly. Free those who are abused! Share your food with everyone who is hungry; share your home with the poor and homeless. Give clothes to those in need; don't turn away your relatives." (Isaiah 58:5-7)

In fact there is a clear thread running through the bible making it quite clear that God is a real fan of the notion of justice. Obviously God wants more from us than just our vocal chords on a Sunday morning - in fact these bible passages suggest that he's not particularly interested in our corporate worship or fasting unless we're fighting for justice in the world.

God has a serious passion for justice, and it's a theme that keeps coming up in the bible. In the book of Jeremiah, God reveals something of his nature to us:

"What I like best is showing kindness, mercy and justice to everyone on earth."(Jeremiah 9:24b)

If we are striving to be imitators of God, as Paul commands in Ephesians 5:1-2, then mercy and justice are values that we also should be striving for.

Often in Christian groups the issue of social justice is seen as an add-on: something for you to get involved in if you want, but not a priority. I would argue that, actually, the bible's teaching suggests that fighting for justice is an activity that all Christians should be involved in, rather than just a fringe activity. In other words - less singing about how we feel this morning; more singing about how we're going to speak for those with no voice and embrace the broken, and then going out and doing it.

'Justice' is a fairly abstract concept though – it’s one of those words that you feel you should utter in a slightly comical voice - so what does it mean for us in the 21st century? The dictionary (always a good destination in times like these) says that it's "The quality of being just". Not the most helpful progression ever. Looking around us, though, we can see that the way the world works is certainly not just. The gap between the rich and the poor is growing all the time, and we in the western world are often unknowingly supporters of regimes that oppress innocent people.

That’s the bad news. Often our response to issues such as these is that there’s nothing we can do about them. The good news is that we can make a difference, however small. One simple thing we can do is buy fairly-traded coffee, and/or tea, fruit, chocolate, cereal bars, etc. For more information on the what and the why of fair trade, visit www.fairtrade.org.uk . The classic objections to this, such ‘it costs a few pence extra!’ seem to pale into insignificance when compared to the difference it makes to the lives of vulnerable people in third world countries. For more ethical buying information, see www.newconsumer.org .

It’s our responsibility as Christians to be educated on issues of world justice. There are many accessible and cheap books introducing the subject in bookshops, though Christian perspectives are sadly hard to find (perhaps for the reasons I suggested above?). An approach which we can all take is to learn more about these issues and pray about them; because God can work infinitely more justice in these situations than we could ever ask or imagine.

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0
A

ahab

Hi Sonicflood,

IMO God’s will and purpose has always been to love God first and to love our neighbour as ourselves. That means not only prayer and praise and worship to God in songs and hymns etc, but also in living holy lives and loving others and helping the poor. That’s what scripture indicates always was God’s purpose. IMO many churches have tended to concentrate on Sunday services while holy living and helping the poor and needy has been put to one side. Consequently the church which should make an impact on the world becomes self centred and insular. I see the warnings in scripture that God isn’t impressed by lips that praise Him and lives that don’t. (Neither of course is He impressed by works without faith and obedience.)

I just think Fair Trade is brilliant! It is scripturally sound, we are to treat employees (and slaves) fairly work fairly, pay fairly and trade fairly. It is also a demonstration of something to the world that can impact the world ‘at their own game’ and that they can understand. A practical demonstration of the Spiritual Kingdom.

Additional links

http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/get_involved_ideas_for_churches.htm

http://resources.tearfund.org/catalogue.asp?cat=131

http://www.cafod.org.uk/get_involved/campaigning/vote_for_trade_justice/trade_justice_campaign

How can the Lord be neutral when the privileged fleece the poor?
He’s not neutral, Jesus said that the poor will always be with us and warns us of the greed that causes material poverty as much as spiritual poverty. God sent His son and Holy Spirit, we are to help the poor in material ways as well as spiritually.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
ahab said:
He’s not neutral, Jesus said that the poor will always be with us and warns us of the greed that causes material poverty as much as spiritual poverty. God sent His son and Holy Spirit, we are to help the poor in material ways as well as spiritually.
I think
How can the Lord be neutral when the privileged fleece the poor?
is meant to be a rhetorical question. ;)

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
I first became aware of just how crucial social economic issues were in college when I was asked to teach a class on Micah. I learned the concept of joining fields together legally but not morally. What a concept. The Lord knew some of us would be sharper in business than others, so He instituted a year of jubilee to return the wealth. That way every generation no matter how inept at business, has hope!

America is fast becoming a raw material exporter nation (formerly known as a third world nation!) while our Chinese trading partners are becoming our first world manufacturer. How can we as Americans factor in fair trade?

China was sued by an American company for dumping goods at unethically low prices to drive our businesses bankrupt. The company won.

Should fair trade / ethical trade policy include some penalty at the national level for nations with bad human rights records and slave labor?

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
Well, maybe we should worry about China, Sharp, but that isn't going to stop me worrying about the many American based companies with wide-ranging global interests that are only concerned about profit and exploit millions of people in developing coutries in Asia, Africa, South America and who knows where besides.

The USA certainly seems to be a land of contrasts and there may well be some small businesses that need protecting from cheap foreign imports, but as you have shown, the law of their land is able to protect them.

Unfortunately in so many developing countries the USA, through its influence on the World Bank and similar institutions, has prevented the laws of those land from protecting its people and struggling producers from the dumping of cheap imports from the USA and elsewhere.

We live in a world where there is great injustice and we in the developed nations, including the USA and many countries in Europe, benefit from this injustice and are guilty by association, especially if we make no attempt to work for justice in trade and in other areas on a global scale.

It is injustice that helps to fuel wars and terrorism. The war on terrorism must begin with working for global justice in trade, in health care and all other basic human rights. There is no peace without justice.

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Treasure the Questions said:
Well, maybe we should worry about China, Sharp, but that isn't going to stop me worrying about the many American based companies with wide-ranging global interests that are only concerned about profit
It's not either-or! Large American business are the ones behind China's dumping.

Perhaps there is an area here where we can agree, conservatives and liberals, and all parties.

But a person to person boycott isn't going to work. It is useless - only a gesture. Real solutions at least for the USA is to revoke China's most favored nation status and to start a massive flood of remedial lawsuits. Did you know China uses Christians as slave laborers in prison factories. Their free workers are paid, though... 60 cents an hour!

Don't blame captialism or America. I am suspicious when concern for the poor degenerates into a blame America first rant. Okay, back to the OP. :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Hi Treasure the Questions,

It is injustice that helps to fuel wars and terrorism. The war on terrorism must begin with working for global justice in trade, in health care and all other basic human rights. There is no peace without justice.
Yes but that’s a very over simplified social and political comment IMO. Remember that war is hampering the working for justice in trade, health care and basic human rights in many parts of the world. Also, there is peace without justice, some of us as Christians can expect no justice, we will be persecuted for what we believe, but we have the peace of God.

And Sharp has a point, Christians are not exactly given justice in many parts of the world, thngs can be very difficult for our brothers and sisters in China.

Injustice is all that which is against God's will and purpose.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
ahab said:

Yes but that’s a very over simplified social and political comment IMO. Remember that war is hampering the working for justice in trade, health care and basic human rights in many parts of the world. Also, there is peace without justice, some of us as Christians can expect no justice, we will be persecuted for what we believe, but we have the peace of God.

And Sharp has a point, Christians are not exactly given justice in many parts of the world, thngs can be very difficult for our brothers and sisters in China.

Injustice is all that which is against God's will and purpose.
Ahab, perhaps you find what I said oversimplified because you did not read it carefully. I said that injustice helps to fuel wars and terrorism, I didn't say it was the only cause.

Moreover, I don't see how the fact that there are others doing wrong excuses us (our governments and mulitnational companies based in our countries) from cleaning up our act. However does mistreatment of Christians in China make our (the developed world's) exploitation of others any less reprehensible - especially when we claim to be followers of the Christ who hates injustice of any kind?

Rather we should do our part to end injustce and work for peace and support those in other countries who do the same, such as the MST (movement for landless workers) in Brazil http://www.mstbrazil.org/http://www.mst.org.br/. It worked in South Africa.

Karin

Upvote 0

No on the contrary, I have agreed it isn’t the only cause, but I think Sharp had already pointed that out, therefore your statement wasn’t exactly correct as the discussion revolves around economic and justice issues. There is no war in China but there are basic human rights violations. When you talk about our governments cleaning up their act were you referring to Sharp’s USA, our United Kingdom, or China? Furthermore the peace of God comes to all who believe and receive it, whether a persecuted Chinese Christian or a British Christian, He died for all of us, “the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.”
Rather we should do our part to end injustce and work for peace and support those in other countries who do the same, such as the MST (movement for landless workers) in Brazil
I agree we should support the plight of landless workers, that is justice too, but it isn’t the same as peace, there are many wealthy people who have no peace.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not quite sure what your point is, ahab. I get the impression Sharp, and possibly you too, are focusing on what we cannot change rather than on what we can.

We can lobby our own governments and the multinational companies operating in our markets. We can choose Fairtrade products and boycott products from companies and countries who treat their workers badly - it can make a difference.

China (and other dictatorships and totalitarian regimes) is a hard nut to crack, but looking for cracks and applying a little pressure is a way forward. If trade with the West is important to China her government might listen to our (Western) governments asking them to improve human rights in their country. If this does provide a window of opportunity we can encourage our leaders to speak out on this matter.

When I speak of peace I mean peace within communities, between different peoples in a nation and between nations. Starving and being tortured can interrupt even the peace that God gives I should think.

Karin

Upvote 0

I'm not quite sure what your point is, ahab. I get the impression Sharp, and possibly you too, are focusing on what we cannot change rather than on what we can.
Whilst I (and possibly Sharp) are focussing not only on what we can change, but on what God can change!. Peace, (as in no wars), is not the same as God’s spiritual peace for us. When it comes to peace, (as in no war), like we have in the UK, there are plenty of wealthy people without peace. There are also many poor Christians who are happy and peaceful even though they have no justice and are being persecuted.
We can lobby our own governments and the multinational companies operating in our markets. We can choose Fairtrade products and boycott products from companies and countries who treat their workers badly - it can make a difference.
Yes I agree it does make a difference, a huge difference! AMEN! :clap: and thanks to God for your heart in this.
But my original point is that apart from the practical issues of fair trade, you also said "There is no peace without justice." Well yes there is. Firstly in worldly terms not all wars are because of economic deprevation so justice and peace are not the same. Secondly the peace of God is regardless of worldly justice, God’s peace is still there for those who are injustly persecuted. Its just that when I point this out instead of affirming it you keep going back to the practical worldly issues, the examples of which we seem to be agreeing on anyway.
When I speak of peace I mean peace within communities, between different peoples in a nation and between nations. Starving and being tortured can interrupt even the peace that God gives I should think.
Well peace among the nations yes but otherwise no, on the contrary, the peace of God comes form God. God so loved us that Jesus has become our hope of glory to all who believe, those who are comfortable and those who suffer. Jesus tells us that the way the truth and the life is in Him, in Him is the hope of glory, but even though we are to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him, we can overcome the enemy by the blood of the lamb and our testimony of who we are in Christ Jesus and what He has done and we do not love our lives so much as to shrink from death. Rom 5:2, 8:17, Heb 2:10, 1 Pet 4:13, Matt 16:24, Rev 12:11

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've never found that those who think political and social action is the essence of Christianity applied that policy, whether it is in itself correct or not, to all the possible causes out there. When partisanship enters in, the Christian argument goes out.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Should fair trade / ethical trade policy include some penalty at the national level for nations with bad human rights records and slave labor?"

1. Fair trade/ethical trade is in the eye of the beholder.
2. It is not moral to punish an entire nation, as suggested, for the actions of the government.
3. When the "bad" nations are not defined only as the popular political targets of the Left, I'll pay more attention to the appeals. Meanwhile, I'm not holding my breath.

Upvote 0