Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jude124 said:
Im a fairly new believer and I just feel the urge to question alot. Im wondering how one could call themself a SDA if they do not believe in the pillars of our faith? I mean wouldnt you have to believe the truths the church was founded on in order to label yourself a believer?!
I suppose it depends on how you define "believer" and how you define "pillars of our faith."

If one believes (as I do) that a seventh day adventist is one who observes the seventh day sabbath, and is looking for the 2nd advent of Christ then many can call themselves a seventh day adventist.

Pillars of faith, do you mean that Jesus lived and died for us, that we are saved by grace through faith, and that Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith or do you have something else in mind?

Upvote 0

Jude124

Dec 9, 2005
✟120.00
Faith
SDA
The pillars of our faith, the very foundation that this church was set up on are

1) The Sanctuary
2) The Law of God
3) The Spirit of Prophecy
4) Victory Over Sin
5) The Health Message
6) Righteousness by Faith
7) State if the Dead

Im saying that if you dont fully believe in ALL of these things than how can one claim to be a Seventh Day Adventist? How could our church baptise people who know nothing of ellen white, of victory over sin, of the health message, or the sanctuary message or any of these things? This is the reason our church is metaphorically speaking, turning back to egypt, going back to apostasy and joining hands with the very power we are called as a people to overthrow.

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jude124 said:
The pillars of our faith, the very foundation that this church was set up on are

1) The Sanctuary
2) The Law of God
4) Victory Over Sin
5) The Health Message
7) State if the Dead

Im saying that if you dont fully believe in ALL of these things than how can one claim to be a Seventh Day Adventist? How could our church baptise people who know nothing of ellen white, of victory over sin, of the health message, or the sanctuary message or any of these things? This is the reason our church is metaphorically speaking, turning back to egypt, going back to apostasy and joining hands with the very power we are called as a people to overthrow.
Thank you for sharing... I thought that the foundation of the church was Christ... as for your other comments on why you believe the church is turning back to Egypt, if that is what you believe, then I guess you know what you must do.... I don't agree with your assessment, but again thanks for sharing it....

Upvote 0

Lauri4Him

Nov 11, 2005
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have posed a very good question Jude, one I have asked myself. I have been going to this church for 7 years and was baptised 2 1/2 years ago.

My introductions to what this denomination believes and teaches was first presented to me by evangelists. They did an excellent job and knew their history. How this church started, why it believed what it did and it all agreed with scripture. My only guide and light was and is the Holy Bible, if it does agree with God's word it can stand.

But then I started going to church, first lesson, people are not always what they seem to be. So I studied and prayed and waited for God to lead me. I finally realized that my decision to join the church was not about the people, but about wanting to serve my Lord. But as you can see by the math this took me 4 1/2 years to figure out.

Unfortunately part of the problem was that the people at church had forgotten what the evangelists are preaching and teaching. The world was and is creeping in.

God will have a peculiar people.

Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Then I realized that there are still preachers and teachers among us who follow God fully and have no desire to make friends with the world.
They are not afraid to speak the truth and they forsake smooth words.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

So, I would say to you take heart. This church still teaches more truth than any other out there. It is up to each individual to seek God with all their heart and follow Jesus. And you will find preachers and teachers, brothers and sisters who love the truth.

2Thess 3:5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.

Your sister in Christ,
Lauri

Upvote 0

jabechler

Mar 16, 2006
✟324.00
Faith
SDA
Great thoughts, as an adventists for 25 years I have only rescently figured some of this out. Christ is our foundation, He is the source of truth and it is He who gave this denomination our pillars of faith. Not to change the gospel, but to reinstate the gospel as it was in the beginning. It is becuase God loves me that I choose to believe and live out these pillars of faith by the power of Jesus living in me. It is a shame that these pillars are under attack from within and I pray for those that oppose our fundemental truths which I completly belive are not 7 Day Adventist but are Gods truths. Let us not forget that the Gospel is the good news of Christ and the 3 angels message and all the pillars of our faith are what we are to be taking to the world.:amen:

Upvote 0

RC_NewProtestants

Senior Veteran
May 2, 2006
Washington State
Visit site
✟18,250.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is the basis for the SDA icon use. I am new here and though I grew up as SDA and still attend an SDA church I do not believe the 28 fundamentals or the list provided earlier.

1) The Sanctuary
2) The Law of God
4) Victory Over Sin
5) The Health Message
7) State if the Dead

I don't know too many Progressive SDA's who would accept that list and certainly Traditional SDA's would not accept the idea that Progressive SDA's are even SDA's. So just so I identify myself right in the myriad of icons used here I am curious what to do.

Upvote 0

RC_NewProtestants

Senior Veteran
May 2, 2006
Washington State
Visit site
✟18,250.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks Snowbird.

So for the right to be contentious I have to label myself as an SDA. Which is fine with me it just seems that by the definition the denomination uses I might not be an SDA, at least not what they want to call an SDA. Which is why I like the term Progressive SDA because it immediately informs while not being specific that I am a member of that denomination but not in agreement with all that denomination believes.

I don't like the term Reformed since it carries the idea
of t[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]he churches of the Reformed tradition, with origins to the Swiss/French wing of the Reformation. That and since there is an Seventh-day Adventist Reformed Movement (IMS) which split from the SDA church early in the 20th century it might be confusing. Though I think they are pretty small and don't seem to have much of a web presence.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jabechler

Mar 16, 2006
✟324.00
Faith
SDA
Jude124 said:

1) The Sanctuary
2) The Law of God
4) Victory Over Sin
5) The Health Message
7) State if the Dead

Amen, as a christian Christ is first and foremost in our salvation. These tenants or pillars of our faith come from God as preparation for His soon comeing. Its is also the message for the world to prepare them for His return. I believe these pillars are firmly est. in the old and new testament and are the message of the remnant.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
RC_NewProtestants said:
What is the basis for the SDA icon use. I am new here and though I grew up as SDA and still attend an SDA church I do not believe the 28 fundamentals or the list provided earlier.

I don't know too many Progressive SDA's who would accept that list and certainly Traditional SDA's would not accept the idea that Progressive SDA's are even SDA's. So just so I identify myself right in the myriad of icons used here I am curious what to do.

a. The creators of this forum recognize more than one brand of Adventism. If the Adventist church is the closest to what you believe, then use that icon.

b. There are, for better or worse, many Adventists today who do not accept all the fundamentals, as defined by the 28.

As to the name of the forum, there have been several requests to change it, but it hasn't happened yet. They were based on the initial assesment of a non-Adventist mod doing his best to make sense of our terminology in the midst of a lot of fighting on the part of the Adventists early in this forum's history over the very question of what constitutes an Adventist. So he did his best! But it seems to take a while to change things here, and I think the mod in question has either been away or is taking a much needed break from this forum.Since he is our only mod that means we are kind of on our own :)

Anyway, welcome!

Upvote 0