• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Just started attending Al-Anon

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Everyone,
I have been in AA for over 22 years now. In the past few years, my son had been drinking pretty heavily. Well, a couple of months ago, he called me from rehab. He was there for alcohol and heroin addiction. His heroin addiction was no surprise. He was treated for that about ten years ago.

A friend from AA suggested I attend an Al-Anon meeting, which I did on Sunday. It's a new concept for me. Also, I wish my Mom had gone there when I was growing up, as Dad was a violent alcoholic throughout my childhood. She claims she didn't know it was available.

So, I was wondering if there was anyone here who has been to Al-Anon. I'm planning to go back, at least for a few months. I don't live near my son, as he now lives six hours away.

Thanks,
Trish

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Maddison: I've been going to Alanon for over 20 yrs when I can find a group otherwise the AA people are very tolerant of me. You Mom was probably correct, it may not have been available to her. Al-Anon sort of started as the Women's Auxillary to AA. A Place for spouses to go while the "Men" attended AA.

Long story short-most people come to Al-Anon to find out how to get their loved ones to Stop drinking or druging or gambling etc and when they are told that this program is for them...and that they are as sick as the addict...and need help and to focus on themselves rather than the alcoholic..they often loose interest and quit coming. The gorups are usually smaller than AA and have a more family like atmosphere they are usually run a little less formal than AA.

There usually are no temporary sponsors and some use phone lists others do not. More emphasis is placed on step 4 than in AA. It usually has a more "co-dependant" flavor than addict flavor if that makes sense. They don't do chips or anniversaries in any I've been to, but they usually do attend some open AA meetings.

In A-Non you will learn more about the enabler and how they view things, They have a tendancy to explore things a bit deeper (makes sense w/smaller groups-they have the time) They talk and bounce ideas and techniques for handling stress, fears etc more than AA. AA puts a heavier emphasis on more books and readings. Alanon uses the slogans and Just for Today and read more from the courage to change or 12&12. They do not usually use the Blue Book though most are aquanited with it. I like it better than AA for old timers like myself. I do get a bit weary of "drunk logs" in AA, and like the smaller and more regular (no body is court sentanced to AL-ANON) :) crowd. Not nearly as many newcommers so you are not always focused on Step 1.. (Although now that I think about it that might be a shortcoming). Glad you like it. This makes youa doubble winner!

I'm sorry to hear about your sons problems, but am glad he's in a program. I can think of no better relationship than 2 people who are truly workiing a 12-step program. It would have to be an enhancement at least in understanding ea other.

Upvote 0

sonicjay

Sep 18, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hello My Name Is Jason I Am Recovering From Anger Issues And Always Feeling The Need To Spend Money All The Time So Instead Of Al AN Non Here Is Another Meeting You Should Try If You Cannot Get To One Near You There Is A Web Site To Go On And Join Called The4gospels.net or go to celebraterecovery.com and try to find A Local Group Near You In Him Jason Young

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello My Name Is Jason I Am Recovering From Anger Issues And Always Feeling The Need To Spend Money All The Time So Instead Of Al AN Non Here Is Another Meeting You Should Try If You Cannot Get To One Near You There Is A Web Site To Go On And Join Called The4gospels.net or go to celebraterecovery.com and try to find A Local Group Near You In Him Jason Young

Thanks Jason. I have been involved with Alcoholics Anonymous for 23 years, and appreciate the convenience of all the meetings I can attend within a fifteen minute drive from where I live. The closest Celebrate Recovery meeting is 45 minutes from me. I cannot afford the gas money. Similarly, the Al-Anon meeting I attend is five minutes from me.

I love the 12 Step programs, and the people I meet in them. I volunteer at a drug/alcohol agency that helps people in early recovery at no charge, and we support 12 Step recovery.

I used to attend a 12 Step Bible study at my church. I may return to it. There, we studied the Life Recovery Bible.

I'm curious to know if you are going to know why you are posting on a 12 Step recovery forum if you are against 12 Step programs.

I believe that God wants me in the 12 Step meetings to I can be light and salt there. People are receptive to talk about God. There are many Christians who attend my AA meetings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 12 Step programs.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To everybody: there are several on line groups for 12-step programs if you need a meeting and just can't make a personal appearance or if scheduling is at issue.

Upvote 0