Contributor
Sep 25, 2006
Not a clue
✟15,527.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yeah its not something I really admit in my normal life either. Even with non-Christians most people are pro-life.

I have wanted to take the normal view of abortion but I have just never been able to tell people how to live their lives. I think that no one goes into it thinking its the easy option.

Upvote 0

cherryblossom03

I am Batman!
Aug 7, 2007
Fort Campbell, KY
✟8,430.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a hard time with this subject. I was raised to be pro-life, no form of abortion is ok, but honestly I have a hard time with that. If we did get pregnant and the doctor told me it was me or the baby, I know my husband would want me and I would want to live too. Some people says that makes me selfish, but that's something I will have to answer for I guess. Sorry, got off on a tangent. I don't like abortion, but I don't think it should be illegal.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Yeah its not something I really admit in my normal life either. Even with non-Christians most people are pro-life.

I have wanted to take the normal view of abortion but I have just never been able to tell people how to live their lives. I think that no one goes into it thinking its the easy option.
In my circles (almost all are atheists), it's the opposite, abortion is acceptable to most of my acquaintance (and euthanasia even more so).

Upvote 0

Rembrandtfan

He's here, the Phantom of the Opera
Jul 18, 2007
La La Land
✟9,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that life begins at conception, and to abort would be taking an innocent life. I've heard that cases where a mother's life depends on aborting a baby is rare, though I don't know the actual statistics on this.

However, I do not say this to condemn parents who have had abortions. I feel for those who have done it and are tormented by the guilt and shame for years to come. I would just pray that they would realize that God forgives them and wants to heal their pain.

I think it is a good thing for Christians to speak out about abortion as long as it is done peacefully. The ones who have done it and regret it have the strongest testimonies as to why abortion is harmful. They are more convincing than someone merely holding a sign that says "abortion is murder"

Reactions: bluebug83
Upvote 0

cakes&buttercream

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
USA
✟32,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't want any debate started I just want simple answers:)

I was just curious what childfree couples' opinions were on abortion. Are you pro-life or pro-choice? or you can use the term anti-abortion if it's less offensive to you.
R and I are both pro-choice. However, I'm not sure if I could ever get an abortion-- unless I was raped..which is a whole different story.

Upvote 0

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my circles (almost all are atheists), it's the opposite, abortion is acceptable to most of my acquaintance (and euthanasia even more so).

I would say the same thing about American culture. I would expect the same thing in European culture because I've gotten the impression that they're more liberal than us on most issues. I've always thought of the "normal view of abortion" as pro-choice, not pro-life. And that it's much harder to admit to being pro-life in this day and age than to being pro-choice, because people get so up in arms about putting any kind of restriction on people's personal choices (which I usually understand and agree with, except when it's another person's life, or some other more fundamental right, at stake). When you see politicians switching sides on the abortion issue, it's pretty much always in the form pro-choice Republicans, not pro-life Democrats. (and I would love to elect the latter, but they don't exist... *sigh*)

But I think what July is saying (and possibly fuzzymel) is that it's much harder to admit to being pro-choice in evangelical Christian circles, since they are staunchly pro-life. Kind of like how you would be really brave to admit to being pro-life in any kind of liberal social values circle. Either way, I do think it's great for people to be honest about what they really think and not hide it, even if their view is unpopular.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I would say the same thing about American culture. I would expect the same thing in European culture because I've gotten the impression that they're more liberal than us on most issues. I've always thought of the "normal view of abortion" as pro-choice, not pro-life. And that it's much harder to admit to being pro-life in this day and age than to being pro-choice, because people get so up in arms about putting any kind of restriction on people's personal choices (which I usually understand and agree with, except when it's another person's life, or some other more fundamental right, at stake). When you see politicians switching sides on the abortion issue, it's pretty much always in the form pro-choice Republicans, not pro-life Democrats. (and I would love to elect the latter, but they don't exist... *sigh*)

But I think what July is saying (and possibly fuzzymel) is that it's much harder to admit to being pro-choice in evangelical Christian circles, since they are staunchly pro-life. Kind of like how you would be really brave to admit to being pro-life in any kind of liberal social values circle. Either way, I do think it's great for people to be honest about what they really think and not hide it, even if their view is unpopular.
:) Yes, I agree. I think admitting that you're pro-choice in certain militantly pro-life circles is harder than saying that you're pro-life in extremely liberal pro-choice ones, but that's just my own experience speaking - my pro-choice friends don't harrass me over my opinion (we do have long and fiery discussions though), whereas I can imagine that in some circles they want to send you to hell for uttering a pro-choice comment.

And yes, honesty is a good thing.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is bringing to mind a funny conversation I had a few months back. My husband and I went to dinner with a couple from church before hubby left to the west coast. This couple is extremely conservative and has very strong opinions about it (but nice people overall), and we didn't really know them all that well.

About halfway through dinner, the wife asked a question and my response was along the lines of what I've said here -- that I am very conservative with my theology, but quite liberal in my politics. That really piqued her interest!! She asked at least three times how I was liberal, on what issues, or she would be on some other topic and throw in, "Is that something you're liberal about?" At one point, she just flat-out said, "I'm DYING to know more about your liberal side!!"

I refused to say anything more about it, for a lot of the reasons being mentioned here. Why cause a stir when I know how conservative they are? I'm actually having lunch with her today, so maybe I'll be a little more open if she brings it up, since it's the last time I'll see her before I move anyway. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How's the move going? :hug: Have you sold the house yet? (I hope so!)

Haven't sold yet, but there is a couple who are very interested and want to be in by Dec 1 if they are able to work out their financing. The couple, the realtor, and the lender have been working diligently for the past two weeks to make it happen, so I have some hope.

Whether it sells or not, hubby is flying home in two weeks and helping me with the drive across the country over the week of Thanksgiving. Four months is long enough!

Thanks for asking :hug:

LOL, a remark like yours would probably trigger my curiosity too, although I'm too polite (I think) to actually ask people questions that they don't want to answer. :D

I've been called an instigator once or twice in my life. ^_^

Upvote 0

fuzzymel

Contributor
Sep 25, 2006
Not a clue
✟15,527.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Haven't sold yet, but there is a couple who are very interested and want to be in by Dec 1 if they are able to work out their financing. The couple, the realtor, and the lender have been working diligently for the past two weeks to make it happen, so I have some hope.

Whether it sells or not, hubby is flying home in two weeks and helping me with the drive across the country over the week of Thanksgiving. Four months is long enough!

Thanks for asking :hug:

I've been called an instigator once or twice in my life. ^_^
Great news! I have been praying that it will sell soon. Will carry on praying all goes well.

Reactions: snoochface
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is bringing to mind a funny conversation I had a few months back. My husband and I went to dinner with a couple from church before hubby left to the west coast. This couple is extremely conservative and has very strong opinions about it (but nice people overall), and we didn't really know them all that well.

About halfway through dinner, the wife asked a question and my response was along the lines of what I've said here -- that I am very conservative with my theology, but quite liberal in my politics. That really piqued her interest!! She asked at least three times how I was liberal, on what issues, or she would be on some other topic and throw in, "Is that something you're liberal about?" At one point, she just flat-out said, "I'm DYING to know more about your liberal side!!"

I refused to say anything more about it, for a lot of the reasons being mentioned here. Why cause a stir when I know how conservative they are? I'm actually having lunch with her today, so maybe I'll be a little more open if she brings it up, since it's the last time I'll see her before I move anyway. :p

I know exactly what you're saying, as I too am more liberal politically than I am theologically. I come from a very strong "good Christians vote conservative" family, so it was something that I've only come to think about, understand, and adopt recently. There are some relatives who I would never willingly tell that I sometimes vote for non-Republicans, though I have told my parents and they seem disappointed but understanding (they're among the more open-minded of the bunch).

About the couple you talk about, I think your response would also depend on if her "dying to find out about your liberal side" was inquisitve or challenging - though I'm guessing from your response that it was more of a challenge than honest curiosity. But if it's curiosity, I'd say (going along with the "honesty" theme here), tell her your rationale for believing why you do! I love reading opinions that differ from mine, and trying to learn why people think the way they do. It's a pseudo-hobby of mine, you could say :) I think the world would be a better place if people made an effort to understand people who think different than them.

And yay to hear about your house, especially in this horrible market for sellers. And my sympathies go to you, as I could not stand being away from my husband as long as you have.

Upvote 0

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm admittedly kind of "wishy-washy" as far as my view of abortion goes. I don't agree with it when it's used as a form of BC. However, if I was to get rapped and got pregnant as a result, I would really struggle with the decision as to whether or not I'd want to have that child. I just hope I never have to deal with that situation.

Upvote 0