HERTFORDSHIRE
✟10,195.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
We are told not to judge, but are we not judging every day. How would we make decisions if we couldn't judge?

Psalm 67:4 says "for thou shalt judge the people righteously and govern the nations upon the earth, and in verse 2 "that thy way (God's, not man's) may be known."

Dorf

God has given us a sword, swing it
Jun 11, 2006
✟16,128.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are not to judge the hearts of other people as we can not see the hearts of others. God and God alone has the power to see what is in the hearts of people. We know what is in our own hearts and that is as far as it goes. Also as we are all sinful one person can not judge another person saying they are better than someone else as we have all sinned and fallen short.

Upvote 0

CShephard53

Somebody shut me up so I can live out loud!
Mar 15, 2007
✟13,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One cannot, should not, ever judge one's salvation, or whether or not they are saved or not. There is freedom to judge- but righteously, just as the Father judges, and just as Jesus judges. I suggest a word study on the word 'judge' in the NT where it says 'do not judge' to find out what it's talking about. Crosswalk.com has a good lexicon.

Upvote 0

AutumnDreamer

Jan 6, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟17,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are not to judge a person's salvation, for only God can see where their heart is, but we are to judge a person's fruit. We are to judge a person's actions, loving calling sin sin and helping them to overcome that. With that also comes accepting that judgement when someone needs to call our sin sin, that is why it says judge not lest ye be judged.

Upvote 0

w00dy

just a person
Feb 13, 2006
manchester
✟16,247.00
Faith
Christian
if a bloke sins, who am i to judge whether the lord will forgive him? but surely i am to judge that commiting that same sin is a bad idea. well thats how i rationalise the whole judging thing. but i do find myself judging people who do no worse in the present than i have done in the past. shame on me.

edit: ive realised that my thoughts on the matter we not as set in stone as i once thought, hence loads of typing then deleteing, thank you for giving me something to ponder on

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We are told not to judge, but are we not judging every day. How would we make decisions if we couldn't judge?

Psalm 67:4 says "for thou shalt judge the people righteously and govern the nations upon the earth, and in verse 2 "that thy way (God's, not man's) may be known."
There is a big difference between judging and criticising!

Upvote 0

Twisted

May 3, 2007
Hurst, TX.
Visit site
✟15,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I may be wrong but I the way I interpret this is to say that we're not to look down on or persecute others based on what we know or think we know about them. I have to admit that this is one of the things that I am struggling with now but God is opening my eyes and helping me through it.

Reactions: CShephard53
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There is a big difference between judging and criticising!

Great point Elijah just as there is also a big difference between judging and making a decision. The words are different in meaning.

Also that passage is talking about God doing the judging which is very different to us judging.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

MY SISTER,

i believe the point is that we are to judge actions, NOT people. We are able to see the actions, compare them with our Lord's Commandments, and judge whether or not the actions are Godly or not--sinful or not.

However, we are NOT to judge our fellow sinners because "ALL HAVE SINNED AND FALLEN SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD." If i judge another for his/her sin, i cannot expect that God will forgive me for the sins--probably the same ones--i commit.

So, YES, we have to judge acts and situations--external things in full view--in order to conduct our lives in as Godly a manner as possible--keeping to the good but avoiding the evil--but we are NOT to judge our brothers and sisters because only God knows their hearts.

ephraim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums