✟1,357,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 11:7-10,16-19 ESV

As they went away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? What then did you go out to see? A man dressed in soft clothing? Behold, those who wear soft clothing are in kings' houses. What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is he of whom it is written,
“‘Behold, I send my messenger before your face,
who will prepare your way before you.’
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their playmates,
“‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’
“For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds.”

1. What is the central message of Jesus’ words spoken here?
2. How can we apply these truths to our world, to the church, and to the present “Christian” culture of today?
3. What lesson can we learn from this to be applied to our own lives?
4. How did this lesson speak to my/your heart today?

Who was John the Baptist? He was a man called of God to be a voice crying out, “In the wilderness prepare the way for the Lord. Make straight in the desert a highway for our God” (Isaiah 40:3). John quoted this about himself, which we can read about in John 1:23: “He said, ‘I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, “Make straight the way of the Lord,” as the prophet Isaiah said.’”

But John was not “Mr. Personality.” He wasn’t flashy. He did not keep up with nor did he blend in with the culture so that people would like him and accept him. He loved God and he was committed to the calling of God on his life, to do what God had called him to do. The Bible says this about him, “Now John wore a garment of camel’s hair and a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey” (Matthew 3:4). And he preached, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Matthew 3:2).

“But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, ‘You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not presume to say to yourselves, “We have Abraham as our father,” for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham. Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.’” (Matthew 3:7-10).

John was odd. He didn’t dress like everyone else. He didn’t behave like anyone else. He was weird, strange, and peculiar in the sight of the people, I would imagine. And he talked about things not everyone wanted to hear about, and he spoke strongly to the religiously self-righteous the truth about themselves and of what was in their hearts. And he confronted them with their own lies, and this did not endear him to the religious rulers of his day.

And what was the point of what Jesus was saying to the people about John and about the generation of people to whom he was speaking? And how can we apply this message to our culture today, particularly here in America where I live, which is what I know? He was letting the people know that John the Baptist was God’s chosen messenger to prepare the way for the Lord, that he was a prophet of God.

But he was also chiding the generation of people to whom John spoke and to whom Jesus was speaking, because they wanted John, and they wanted Jesus to be more like them, it would appear. They wanted them to do the kinds of things that the people of that generation did. Basically they wanted them to blend in more with the culture and to not stand out so much as being different from everyone else, it would appear.

And he chided the people of that generation for their complaints against himself and against John and of how the people were judging both of them falsely, which was based on their own personal prejudices and cultural opinions of how John and Jesus ought to be, to be more like them. For, even though John was not a drunkard or a glutton, they said he had a demon. Why? Because he was not like them and he didn’t do things the way they did. And they accused Jesus of being a drunkard and a glutton.

So, what’s the point in all of this? It is that we who claim to be followers of Jesus Christ should not judge by human standards, but by the word of God. We should not judge people or the things people do by our culture, but by the word of God. The word of God should be what we follow, not the standards and/or opinions of the culture in which we now live.

So many professing Christians today are judging other Christians by the standards of the culture, but not by the teachings of the Scriptures. And the result is that many are embracing liars and charlatans and false gospels, based on outward appearance, while many are largely rejecting the truth of the gospel and the gospel’s true messengers because they do not fit with the culture, because many people are being trained to reject those who “don’t fit” with the culture, and to embrace those who do fit.

The ”gospel” message which is permeating the church in America is, thus, a “feel-good” message, but it is not the truth. For it teaches that we can profess faith in Jesus Christ once in our lives, be forgiven of all sin, have heaven guaranteed us and it not be taken away from us, but all this is promised regardless of how we live, and that just is not biblical. But it is because they are being trained to reject the truth and to embrace the lies.

But the truth says that we must deny self, die daily to sin, and follow Jesus in obedience to his commands (New Covenant). For if we hold on to our old lives of living in sin and for self, we will lose them for eternity. But if for the sake of Jesus we deny self and die daily to sin and follow him in obedience, then we have the hope of eternal life. For Jesus said that not all who say to him, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one DOING the will of God the Father in heaven (Luke 9:23-26; Matthew 7:21-23).

So, know what the Scriptures teach, and follow what they teach us who believe in Jesus, and don’t follow the culture and the lies of the enemy.

When in The Stillness

An Original Work / September 26, 2011

When in the stillness of this moment,
Speak to me, Lord, I humbly pray.
Be my desire, set me on fire,
Teach me to love always.
Help me to walk in fellowship with You,
Listening to You; sit at Your feet.
Whisper Your words to me,
Oh, how gently, guiding me in Your truth.

While we are waiting for Your blessing,
Lord, in our hearts be King today.
Help us to live for you ev’ry moment,
List’ning to what You say.
May we not stray from your word within us,
Help us obey You, Lord, in all things,
Walking each moment, Lord, in Your presence,
Our offerings to You bring.

Help us to love You, Lord, our master;
Be an example of Your love,
Helping the hurting, lift up the fallen,
Showing them Your great love.