Visit site
✟131.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hello all: My name is George and I'd like to touch on a problem that surrounds us in our daily walk. I have a sin that needs to be delivered and its "smoking". Its a very hard habit and or bad spirit that needs to be broken from me. When I go to church I spray my clothes with cologne so as to keep the smell of smoke off my clothes, Thats not enough. I need to be delivered from it. JESUS has already healed me of it, I just have to accept it. Now when a homosexual and or a drug addict is performing their sin, we can either see it and pray for them or like me, you can smell my sin. We all have "skeletons" in our closets. Why do most want to judge first instead of embracing that person and support him or her in the sin and keep on praying for that person? Who are we to cast the first stone? Why can't we as brothers and sisters in CHRIST embrace one another in LOVE to rebuke it from coming aganist us. Please pray for me and the others that have been wrongly judged. Remember, we can't "smell your sin"!!:amen:

Reactions: momofonebaybe

matt225

Jul 14, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
✟16,388.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I get where you're coming from and yeah its depressing to be judged, especially when you come seeking help and instead get a slap in the face. All we can do is pray that in this world, more Christians will come out and support those who are in need of help instead of sitting in judgement. And I guess it happens to everyone at one point or another. I have found myself many times thinking negatively about someone's situations when I should be thinking of ways to help. But that is where we need to step away from our thoughts and emotions and consider what Christ would do and how He would accept, help and love them..

Matt

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
HEALINGREIN said:
Hello all: My name is George and I'd like to touch on a problem that surrounds us in our daily walk. I have a sin that needs to be delivered and its "smoking". Its a very hard habit and or bad spirit that needs to be broken from me. When I go to church I spray my clothes with cologne so as to keep the smell of smoke off my clothes, Thats not enough. I need to be delivered from it. JESUS has already healed me of it, I just have to accept it. Now when a homosexual and or a drug addict is performing their sin, we can either see it and pray for them or like me, you can smell my sin. We all have "skeletons" in our closets. Why do most want to judge first instead of embracing that person and support him or her in the sin and keep on praying for that person? Who are we to cast the first stone? Why can't we as brothers and sisters in CHRIST embrace one another in LOVE to rebuke it from coming aganist us. Please pray for me and the others that have been wrongly judged. Remember, we can't "smell your sin"!!:amen:

I'd be glad to pray for you. :)

And welcome to Christian Forums! :wave:

Upvote 0

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
HEALINGREIN said:
I remember when I did the same thing.
Praying God will deliver all who wants to quit smoking.:thumbsup:
He did for me over 20 years ago.
I judged myself harsher than anyone else.

Upvote 0

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟10,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
HEALINGREIN said:

Have faith, Jesus will heal you. . . please, in turn, pray for all those who judge you.

Peace :D

Upvote 0

USMC

Dec 29, 2005
Hawaii
Visit site
✟7,738.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
HEALINGREIN said:
When I go to church I spray my clothes with cologne so as to keep the smell of smoke off my clothes,

I chuckled when I read that part of your post, I remember doing that when I first started going to church. Don't do it anymore, although I still smoke, but no one at my church has said anything or seems to mind. Not that I shouldn't quit, mind you, I'll be praying for you. There's a lot of things that people do that shouldn't, and it's funny how Christians seem to pick things that they don't like and assume the worst about people because of them. We all have vices that through the grace of God we're able to deal with in the way He would have us. Smoking just happens to be one of the things that people can easily pick out, I guess.

I know a lot of Christians who still have a problem with swearing, for example. But since most of them don't swear at church or when around fellow believers, it's not so easy to see. Drinking is kind of the same way (i.e. lots of Christians who drink feel guilty and try to hide the fact from other believers). There's a lot of things we SHOULDN'T do, smoking, getting drunk, over-eating, sitting in front of the TV or computer all day, swearing. In the end, none of that's really important compared to their walk with God. He will take of all that stuff for us in His own way and His own time, He doesn't need help from us by judging those who happen to have these issues in their lives.

Upvote 0

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
USMC said:
I chuckled when I read that part of your post, I remember doing that when I first started going to church. Don't do it anymore, although I still smoke, but no one at my church has said anything or seems to mind. Not that I shouldn't quit, mind you, I'll be praying for you. There's a lot of things that people do that shouldn't, and it's funny how Christians seem to pick things that they don't like and assume the worst about people because of them. We all have vices that through the grace of God we're able to deal with in the way He would have us. Smoking just happens to be one of the things that people can easily pick out, I guess.

I know a lot of Christians who still have a problem with swearing, for example. But since most of them don't swear at church or when around fellow believers, it's not so easy to see. Drinking is kind of the same way (i.e. lots of Christians who drink feel guilty and try to hide the fact from other believers). There's a lot of things we SHOULDN'T do, smoking, getting drunk, over-eating, sitting in front of the TV or computer all day, swearing. In the end, none of that's really important compared to their walk with God. He will take of all that stuff for us in His own way and His own time, He doesn't need help from us by judging those who happen to have these issues in their lives.

Thats sure the truth.:)

Upvote 0

Liquid_Niki

Created to Worship
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
✟8,270.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a friend explain it very well to me.

He said he didn't want to see the sin, just the hurt. That way when he prays for a person, he's praying from the standpoint of that person's pain, and not standing in judgement over that person's sins.

I think it's important to do that. To look at a person, and see their lives, their pain, their needs, and not to look so harshly upon their sins, because we all sin and fall short of the glory of God.

It's a new viewpoint for me, but one I desire to embrace, because I wish to see people saved, and look upon their hearts, not their mistakes.

Reactions: Hackett
Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
HEALINGREIN said:
I'll agree,in part at least.However, if I smoke and go to church and pass out cigarettes,so that all will smoke,making me less conspicuous,well, thats bad for the church.Clearly,the true convert will do all in their power to gain their salvation,forsaking all else.If one is not willing to depart from whatever separates them from God,that one needs to consider if their faith is true,and adjust.But as far as denying entrance into the church,to a smoker,well, we all embraced our faith so we could stop smoking.If that is our goal, then church is the place for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Smoking is a sin only against your own body, unless you're smoking with others in the room. It is a health issue, but it is only moral in how you treat the life we were given. Caffeine in private can be more of a sin against others, lol, if it makes us cranky and impatient!

No matter how good a church you go to, you'll find people who push others down in criticism in order to raise themselves up. That is a sin too, and it's uglier.

Le 26:19 I will also break down your pride of power.
Ps 10:2 In pride the wicked hotly pursue the afflicted; Let them be caught in the plots which they have devised.
Ps 31:18 Let the lying lips be mute, Which speak arrogantly against the righteous With pride and contempt.
Ps 73:6 Therefore pride is their necklace; The garment of violence covers them.

Upvote 0

Hackett

Contributor
Oct 4, 2005
Texas
✟25,290.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Liquid_Niki said:
I had a friend explain it very well to me.

He said he didn't want to see the sin, just the hurt. That way when he prays for a person, he's praying from the standpoint of that person's pain, and not standing in judgement over that person's sins.

I think it's important to do that. To look at a person, and see their lives, their pain, their needs, and not to look so harshly upon their sins, because we all sin and fall short of the glory of God.

It's a new viewpoint for me, but one I desire to embrace, because I wish to see people saved, and look upon their hearts, not their mistakes.

Excellent! Thanks for relating that. :amen:

Upvote 0

chrchr

Feb 5, 2006
california
✟197.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Others
HEALINGREIN said:

you make a great point that people need to love one another and encourage one another to help them overcome their sin. we as Christians have no right to judge the heart of a man, that's not our job. its God's job. i do think that we have a right to judge a person's actions, and whether or not they are sinful. but the important thing is to judge loveingly, not condemn them. that's the problem, people jump to conclusions and judge harshly of other peoples' actions before takng the time to find out the situation and be there to support them in overcoming it :)

i try my best to be the kind of person who accepts the person and not the sin. am i perfect? no. but its how i try to live my life among other people :) i wish there were more Christians who would spend less time judging and more time loving and encouraging :p

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i stand guilty - er.. forgiven.

as a former smoker i pray for you. "that you be filled with the knowledge of God's will that you walk worthy of the Lord".

as one who 's been judged. and as one who has caught myself judging. i pray for those who judge others.

:prayer:

j

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2006
✟15,131.00
Faith
Christian
No one is perfect. God can help you, but first you have to help yourself. I'm sure it's not just Christians who are giving you judegemental looks.

I think if you are saying Jesus heal me, without really wanting to quite, it's sort of lame, and I doubt you will get healed.

God helps those who help themselves, and with addiction I think it's especially true.

It's easy to say, I shouldn't do it, smoke or whatever. But you need to make it more personal then that. so you need to find a very compelling reason first I think. Like quitting for your wife, or girlfriend, or child. Not so that they wont smell your clothes and life will be easier for YOU, but because if you get cancer and die you know it would really really hurt them. this is a much better reasom to quit then worrying about your clothes smelling or what people think of you.

It sounds to me like you are not yet ready to quit mentally. Once you are I think God can help you. But you have to figure it out first. Stop using God as a scape goat!:help:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.