up there
✟307,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Bible tells us to be careful in how we deal with others, to not bear false witness, we'll be judged as we judge, etc. Out of curiousity a hypothetical question. Would it be ethical then to follow these teachings and have, say those who report others because they are losing a debate or they are offended by another's right to free thinking.. in having them share the same punishment that they want meted out over pettiness?

Last edited:

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I forgot to add while in a debate I know my emotion get riled and sometimes my thought toward someone else isn't good. On these forums, even certain names create a judgmental attitude. So it's best to try not to judge anyone because I don't want God to judge me with his perfect goodness. But it's hard just to walk down the street and take those thoughts captive, lol

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I forgot to add while in a debate I know my emotion get riled and sometimes my thought toward someone else isn't good. On these forums, even certain names create a judgmental attitude. So it's best to try not to judge anyone because I don't want God to judge me with his perfect goodness. But it's hard just to walk down the street and take those thoughts captive, lol

Avoid debate.

• Prayers
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the bible says somewhere not to get into arguments, maybe Romans. Being reported I guess we are supposed to forgive. Peace
I am wrong about arguments since all of you are strong in faith. But this might apply to new Christians who come to learn and see the endless arguments on various subjects unrelated to the faith.

Rom 14:1
Accept other believers who are weak in faith, and don't argue with them about what they think is right or wrong.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The Bible tells us to be careful in how we deal with others, to not bear false witness, we'll be judged as we judge, etc. Out of curiousity, would it be ethical then to follow these teachings and have, say those who report others because they are losing a debate or they are offended by another's right to free thinking.. in having them share the same punishment that they want meted out over pettiness?
What would be the specific criteria be for defining pettiness? Without that any claim of pettiness could simply be frustration at having to follow the rules?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Bible tells us to be careful in how we deal with others, to not bear false witness, we'll be judged as we judge, etc. Out of curiousity, would it be ethical then to follow these teachings and have, say those who report others because they are losing a debate or they are offended by another's right to free thinking.. in having them share the same punishment that they want meted out over pettiness?
Are you talking about the application of CF rules?

If so, are you suggesting that the rules are not justly applied?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If so, are you suggesting that the rules are not justly applied?
Not saying that. Not the point. This is in reference to false witness and judging and should the motives of the accusers be also considered and punished accordingly as God will with man.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Not saying that. Not the point. This is in reference to false witness and judging and should the motives of the accusers be also considered and punished accordingly as God will with man.
Gossip, slander is serious,
first gossip usually starts as a feather and ends up as a hen.

Slander reaches further than any weapon.
One of the daily reminders is,

"Remember what God did to Miriam"

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,455.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You have something there- bearing false witness.
Or any other form of making things up about
negative things about others.

The number of times you see people
here telling others what they do or dont think,
believe, assume, etc is really kind of shocking.

Things the may believe are so. Or that are just spoken
in malice. Things they could not possibly know.

Now, personally, i find that to be low down and unethical.
I believe most would agree.

What i find a bit surprising is to see that so very
often from professing Christians.

• Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Things the may believe are so. Or that are just spoken
in malice. Things they could not possibly know.

Now, personally, i find that to be low down and unethical.
I believe most would agree.

What i find a bit surprising is to see that so very
often from professing Christians.
I think you should include yourself and everyone on this forum. I don't see why you think it's surprising why Christians do the thing we do. Unless you think we are supposed to be perfect humans because we believe in a Savior.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Unless you think we are supposed to be perfect humans because we believe in a Savior.
The only way to achieve perfection would be to stop taking sides over human matters and see things from the viewpoint of the Kingdom rather than of man. Take a giant step outside our minds.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟88,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Unless you think we are supposed to be perfect humans because we believe in a Savior.

Lacking a precise 'form' by which to judge, I have to assume that all humans are perfect humans. The problem isn't that Christians presume themselves to be perfect, rather it's that they presume themselves to be in a position to judge that I'm not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0