Visit site
✟16,495.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Judge Tosses Out Rape Conviction Because Woman With Down Syndrome 'Didn't Behave Like a Victim'

MNRNHABBJLR775C9-cp0x59x641x419-rszw640.jpg
Image: ThinkProgress

A Georgia appeals court judge has ordered a new trial for a man convicted of rape, saying the woman with Down Syndrome, who accused him of the crime, didn't "behave like a victim."

In his opinion, Appeals Court Judge Christopher McFadden wrote that she did not show "visible distress" when she reported the rape. He also said "nor did [the perpetrator] behave like someone who had recently perpetrated a series of violent crimes," Salon reports.

William Jeffrey Dumas, had been convicted of repeatedly raping the 24-year-old woman on Oct. 18, 2010, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports.

More @ Politix

Somehow I don't think this judge is going to go without having to answer for this deplorable decision.

icon8.gif

Forest Wolf

Magical And Blessed
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
✟16,495.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's hard to imagine he thought to go on the record with these thoughts. And the victim of this horrible assault having to hear this!
If any good comes of this it could be that this judge is found unfit to continue on the bench. Maybe this case was the opportunity to save others from his strange ideas.

Upvote 0

Forest Wolf

Magical And Blessed
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
✟16,495.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd say so. The outraged public filing complaints, along with the D.A in this case one would hope, should go a long way to get justice for this terrible wrong.

Adding these links to the Comments section of the article would assist others to join the effort.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Remember, kids, if you still have enough will to complain, you can't have it that bad!

On a side note, what exactly was the evidence that the crime was comitted? You know, in doubt for the defendant and all that.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
People with down syndrome can't legally consent to sex? Really?

I would imagine that the ability of the mentally challenged to give legal consent varies from State to State. Unless we have an actual lawyer from GA here on the forums, or somebody who's willing to do the research, we're liable to get a bunch of uninformed opinions on what people think is true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
People with down syndrome can't legally consent to sex? Really?

I would imagine that the ability of the mentally challenged to give legal consent varies from State to State. Unless we have an actual lawyer from GA here on the forums, or somebody who's willing to do the research, we're liable to get a bunch of uninformed opinions on what people think is true.

I'm sure it does vary from state to state and it also would depend on the individual which is why I said it was possibility.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On a side note, what exactly was the evidence that the crime was comitted? You know, in doubt for the defendant and all that.
From the article. Also I'm sure they wouldn't put everything in the news paper.
In his ruling, McFadden said when the woman first complained about being attacked the day after the alleged rape occurred, she did not behave like a victim.

The motion noted that trial testimony established that Dumas’ sperm was found on the bed on which the woman slept the night of the alleged attack and that a doctor who examined the woman had made findings that were consistent she had been forcibly raped.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't envy those that have to decide if there was genuine rape or not and the woman just cried rape for some other reason. I know I don't know one way or the other, but there still is "in doubt, for the defendant", while the common knee jerk reaction of many people is the to assume guilt and condemn.

There are more than enough stories of men spending years in jail because of spitefull women, just like there are more than enough stories of women who really were raped, but couldn't prove so. It's a topic people should be a bit slower to judge and decry the justice system, I think.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't envy those that have to decide if there was genuine rape or not and the woman just cried rape for some other reason. I know I don't know one way or the other, but there still is "in doubt, for the defendant", while the common knee jerk reaction of many people is the to assume guilt and condemn.

There are more than enough stories of men spending years in jail because of spitefull women, just like there are more than enough stories of women who really were raped, but couldn't prove so. It's a topic people should be a bit slower to judge and decry the justice system, I think.

You might want to get off your soap box and save that speech for a time when the question is about the actual evidence. People don't always respond to things in the same way and from what we access to that seems to be the only reason for the ruling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums