✟948,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This verse comes to mind...

Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. —2 Timothy 2:20-21

Compare it with...

Mary therefore took a pound of expensive ointment made from pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (he who was about to betray him), said, “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”

He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put into it. —John 12:3-6

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Judas portrayed in Scripture

Nowhere in scripture does it say that Judas was saved or possessed eternal life. In fact it declares just the opposite. The bible teaches that Judas was the son of perdition from the beginning. He was created for the very purpose and role as the traitor who would betray Jesus. Jesus said of Judas it would of been better off for him to not even been born than to betray the Son of Man.

John 6:63-65
The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. 64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray Him. 65 He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him."

John 6:70-71
Then Jesus replied, "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!" 71 (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray Him.)

John 12:4-6
But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray Him, objected, 5 "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages." 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

John 13:10-11
10 Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." 11 For He knew who was going to betray Him, and that was why He said not every one was clean.

John 17:12
12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

Matthew 26:23-25
23 Jesus replied, "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, "Surely not I, Rabbi?"

Jesus answered, "Yes, it is you."

Acts 1:16-19
16 and said, "Brothers, the Scripture had to be fulfilled which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through the mouth of David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus— 17 he was one of our number and shared in this ministry."

18 (With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19 Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

Acts 1:24-26
Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs." 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

Psalm 109:4-8
In return for my friendship they accuse me,
but I am a man of prayer.
5 They repay me evil for good,
and hatred for my friendship.

6 Appoint an evil man to oppose him;
let an accuser stand at his right hand.
7 When he is tried, let him be found guilty,
and may his prayers condemn him.
8 May his days be few;
may another take his place of leadership.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Judas had free will and chose to betray Jesus.
Judas was an unbeliever and a devil.....John 6:64-71
Judas was spiritually unclean......John 13:11
Judas is lost and is the son of perdition.........John 17:12
Judas was not kept by Jesus........John 17:12; 18:9
Judas was a traitor.....Luke 6:16
Judas was a thief and did not care for the poor........John 12:6
Judas was guilty of a greater sin.......John 19:11
Judas was influenced by Satan to betray Jesus.......John 13:2
Judas was entered by Satan.......Luke 22:3
Judas kills himself......Matthew 27:5
Judas' habitation to be desolate......Acts 1:20, Psalm 69:25

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did Judas have a choice about betraying Jesus? Was a betrayal necessary? Where is Judas now? Is that fair?
The Old Testament predicted that one person would betray the Messiah and unleash the set of events that would save the world from sin. This person had to be in His inner circle. This person was Judas. I imagine it could have been any of the 12 however Judas was the weakest in faith, fell into the temptation and then acted upon the temptation. Be blessed.

• Agree
Reactions: plain jayne
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,517.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did Judas have a choice about betraying Jesus? Was a betrayal necessary? Where is Judas now? Is that fair?
Good question. Jesus is trying to help Judas like Jesus wants to help all humans. There were plenty of people around wanting Jesus dead, so in some ways Judas was not needed. from Judas' actions after Jesus was captured suggest to me Judas did not want or expect Jesus to be captured. It was an easy way for Judas to make a little side money off of the situation with Christ. Judas was smart enough to realize Jesus could not be taken unless Jesus allowed Himself to be taken and from previous experiences Jesus had just walked away unharmed even when they got Him to the edge of a cliff to throw Jesus over and stone Him.
Jesus let Judas know: what Judas was about to do was not done in secret since Jesus told him what he was going to do, but Jesus also told Peter what bad thing he was going to do. Peter repented and went to Jesus, while Judas regretted and killed himself, but he could have gone to Jesus asking for forgiveness and Jesus would have forgiven him. Judas was set up for success (repenting, seeking forgiveness, and accepting Christ's forgiveness) but could not humble himself to do such a thing, even though he had lots of cause for humility.
I would say Judas went to hell, but that was Judas' choice (not to seek and accept Christ's forgiveness).

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Like all men, Judas had freewill.
But God knows the end from the beginning, so obviously knew how Judas would act at the appropriate time.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Judas portrayed in Scripture

Nowhere in scripture does it say that Judas was saved or possessed eternal life. In fact it declares just the opposite. The bible teaches that Judas was the son of perdition from the beginning. He was created for the very purpose and role as the traitor who would betray Jesus.
Judas was not "created" for the purpose and role of betraying Jesus. Judas's betrayal was an act of freewill that he chose to do.
From before the foundation of the earth, God knew Judas would make evil decisions, and simply made use of that characteristic.

Upvote 0

Drifter91

Jul 6, 2019
Seoul
✟14,547.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
perhaps because there is only heaven? to make him go there faster?...i swore i heard some christians having saying there's only heaven's around. i would understand what that would accomplish...and if god is doing these things secretly...i think he would take care of one of his own children, wouldn't he?...and if he did this to recognize what evil is...i think in some shape or form...he would support at least that kind of knowledge.
a christian would perhaps say that's a christian concern, but who knows?...
maybe he just wanted to help matters for christians to just be interested in the bible more? like you as a buddhist, i kinda don't know what's nonsense or not in christianity...i'm interested in the higher mysteries just like you.
i'm sure god is nice and to be nice to judas just this once if i'm correct is a good thing.
perhaps he just wanted more space for content in his bible?
perhaps he wanted to show even people with great convictions can fall...i really don't about that one with judas...it's not like i'm a christian.
perhaps we wanted writers forever to know like even our typing here to choose with careful thought like let's say the judas story wasn't real...would have people change opinion of you because of hard work with writing.
perhaps he wanted safety and peace ensured through such stories in a uniting way like religion does.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Did Judas have a choice about betraying Jesus?

Yes.

Was a betrayal necessary?

Thee Scriptures suggest that it was, in some sense going to happen. Maybe even inevitably so.

But there's also a flip side to this idea, for example it was inevitably that the virgin would conceive and bear Christ; but yet Mary had a choice, and her choice was to say yes to God's call.

I.e. choice and inevitability should not be viewed as a dichotomy, it's not either-or, but both-and.

Where is Judas now?

Only God knows.

Is that fair?

N/A

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Judas was not "created" for the purpose and role of betraying Jesus. Judas's betrayal was an act of freewill that he chose to do.
From before the foundation of the earth, God knew Judas would make evil decisions, and simply made use of that characteristic.
I don't think it was necessary for Judas to lead the authorities to Jesus. The bible doesn't seem to suggest that Jesus and the disciples were moving around secretly in order to avoid arrest. The Romans could probably have arrested Jesus anytime they wished since Jesus and the disciples spent many nights at the Mount of Olives.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,444.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
]

Did Judas have a choice about betraying Jesus? no

Was a betrayal necessary? yes

Where is Judas now? his own place

Is that fair? neither

Upvote 0