• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Jonathan Sarfati's "The Greatest Hoax on Earth"

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by RichardT, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

+179
    Buddhist
    Private

In fairness to AV, he dangles the bait and its the people who swallow it that derail the thread.

2. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

+179
    Buddhist
    Private

they actually dont have a single data point to share among the lot of them so they have to be kind of creative in making something out of nothing.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  3. Exiledoomsayer

Exiledoomsayer Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this

+56
    Atheist
    Single
    Fortunally making something out of nothing is the main point of their religion so they learn from the best.

4. Frumious Bandersnatch

Frumious Bandersnatch Contributor

+304
    Unitarian
    Richard,

I have not yet read this one but I did read his earlier book Refuting Evolution. That book is full of misinformation, misinterpretation of several fileds of science including geology, paleontology and biology, some deliberate errors of omission to try to make his point and many obvious logical errors. IIRC I wrote a review that said they had missed a big opportunity to join a popular series of books. The should have called it Young Earth Creationism for the Complete Idiot.

(Added in edit:They could have also called it Young Earth Creationism for Dummies I suppose but the most accurate title would have been Young Earth Creationism for the Scientfically Ignorant, Gullilble and Faithful. Anyone with even a bit of science background and ability to apply simple logic will immediately recognize that Refuting Evolution in total nonsense. )

If this new book is anything like his last one I think I will give it a miss. I will try to find time to look at whatever you post but I don't have the time right now.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  5. RichardT

RichardT Contributor

+194
    Pantheist
    Single
    Like I said earlier, I have read the first chapter and I really wasn't impressed.

6. wolfwing

wolfwing Member

+9
    Atheist
    Single
    I've tried reading a few creationists and religious fundementalists books, case for a creator and the homosexual agenda. And have to say that with both it was a real chore to get through them, the just...slander, stupid mistakes, quote mining among other things was hard to get through I admire anyone that can survive any such material andthen critique it.

7. Frumious Bandersnatch

Frumious Bandersnatch Contributor

+304
    Unitarian
    It is almost certain that "Socrates" on Theology Web was Sarfati. I haven't posted there for a while so I don't know if he is still around. He was arrogant and obnoxius. He used to refer to Glenn Morton as Glenn Moron until Glenn showed up on the board and totally kicked his a** in several threads. Socrates/Sarfati came across as an all together unpleasant character who could spew out lots of distorted science but couldn't really deal with criticizm from people who knew what they were talking about.

8. kiwimac

kiwimac Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian Supporter

+1,284
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    I remember Socrates from there and had several 'discussions' with him. If that was Sarfati then he had not really changed since he was at Victoria uni in Wellington NZ.

9. SLP

SLP Senior Member

+61
    Atheist
    Safarti is, indeed, a low life even by professional YEC propagandist standards.
    To see him in action, go to Theology Web and search for posts by "Socrates" - Socrates was Sarfati, who showed his true colors, attacking and namecalling even Christians who were not as hard-core YEC as he is.

I have his first book, and it was absolutely horrible. As you indicate, it was nothing but regurgitated hackneyed pablum. Not an original thought in it, but plenty of disinformation, half-truths, etc.

10. SLP

SLP Senior Member

+61
    Atheist

Amazingly, he finally got banned.

Remember how the admins there bent their own rules for Sarfati, stating that it was OK for him to call people names becaus ehe supported his namecalling? So I asked them what evidence he had presented when he referred to me as a clown, and they suspended me for questioning their actions....

And yes, it was Sarfati. Among all of the clues, at one point when he was responding to some of my criticisms of 'Sarfatis' claims, Socrates responded with "I" in his defense.