Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mentioned in an earlier thread that my daughter and I sometimes gently rib my husband about joining the 21st century. He has always been old school about how he does things. He's change-resistant, and that's OK. That's just him being him. When we first met, he compared himself and his preferred lifestyle to Charles Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie. Not even something as "modern" as the Andy Griffith Show. :D

Are there ways in which you and/or your spouse still live as if it's decades ago?

Hubby is slow to warm up, but when something catches on, it catches on. He held out for a long time about getting a cell phone, until a previous job required him to have one. Now, even though Greyhound issues him a company cell phone, he still has his own, and is rarely to never without it. He had gotten used to banking online via desktop computer. I taught him how to download and install the app on his phone, so he can access our account any time, anywhere, whether he's home or not. I introduced him to paying bills online rather than by mailing a check. Now, unless a check is the only way a bill can be paid (tithing, HOA dues, etc.) he'll default to the online method.

Yesterday, HE suggested that since neither of us can remember the last time we used our landline telephone, it's time to get rid of it. We have one of those one-base, multiple handset cordless setups, and I remember how hard it was to find new handsets when our last ones died several years ago. The technology is basically obsolete. We both have cell phones anyway. What do we need with a landline? So we made the call to unbundle our internet, phone, and TV services, because it isn't the 1990's anymore.

And it was HIS idea. That's what amazes me.

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yay! Sounds great! :clap::D I'm glad he's catching up to it and loving it now. I don't even know how to use cordless phones. Whenever I go to someone's house and they have one of those ancient things and it rings, I can never figure out how to answer it. LOL Landline phone is garbage, only spam calls.

As for me and my husband and kids, we are in the 21st century but we do some things old school like paper bags at grocery store or no bag, but it's because plastic is horrible. So we do the old school packaging of things, we mostly buy what comes in glass, paper or metal containers. So we kind of live like it's 1950 and before plastic. I use cloth diapers too. We eat old school also like before processed food was invented because we eat whole food plant based. So our house is a mixture of Little House on the Prairie times and 21st century. I love Little House by the way, I have it on DVD and I'm binge watching the whole series now. It fascinates me to see how people lived. It's funny how my mind is so used to 21st century tech that one time I thought Harriet was using her cell phone then I remembered that was impossible. When things happen to the kids I'm thinking call or text for help then have to remember not only did they not have cell phones in the 1800s, they didn't even have them when the show was filmed in the 1970s! Hahaha! I've always had a fascination for old photos and antique things even though I use 21st century tech. :)

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My brother told me this gem about his son. It happened a few years ago. My nephew is now grown, married, and has a child of his own. But a few years ago, when he was in his early teens, he and my brother were out about town when he noticed several hollowed out empty spaces in a wall in a public building. He asked his father what they were for.

"That's where the pay phones used to be."

"What's a pay phone?"

Brother laughed his head off.

• Haha
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My brother told me this gem about his son. It happened a few years ago. My nephew is now grown, married, and has a child of his own. But a few years ago, when he was in his early teens, he and my brother were out about town when he noticed several hollowed out empty spaces in a wall in a public building. He asked his father what they were for.

"That's where the pay phones used to be."

"What's a pay phone?"

Brother laughed his head off.

LOL Funny! I hear older people talk about record players and what they call "8 track". I used to watch YouTube videos where they gave kids a walkman and cassette tape with no instructions of what it is or what to do with it. It was funny to watch them try to figure it out. There was one where some teens were trying to figure out how to make a phone call on a rotary phone? The ones with the big circle in the center and you put your finger in the hole and spin it. LOL It was funny to watch them try to figure it out. It's funny how technology moves along.

Upvote 0