Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is ‘Mental Disorder;' Sex Change ‘Biologically Impossible’

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to discuss this article with Presbyterians who are in agreement with this sub-forum's SoP.

(CNSNews.com)
-- Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder.

Dr. McHugh, the author of six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical articles, made his remarks in a recent commentary in the Wall Street Journal, where he explained that transgender surgery is not the solution for people who suffer a “disorder of ‘assumption’” FULL ARTICLE

• Informative
Reactions: dms1972

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think this has been talked about here a lot already. IIRC he's pretty old & the hospital where he used to practice disagrees with him.

The Bible is pretty old too. With age comes wisdom.

The entire world disagrees with Christianity, does that make it untrue?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
The Bible is pretty old too. With age comes wisdom.

The entire world disagrees with Christianity, does that make it untrue?

Are you a Presbyterian? Please read the Statement of Purpose for this subform. Thanks.

We don't use the same medical & psychiatric practices as from Biblical days. The entire world doesn't disagree with Christianity. I go to a Presbyterian church now.

I can look for the other posts / threads about this if you're interested.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
We don't use the same medical & psychiatric practices as from Biblical days. The entire world doesn't disagree with Christianity. I go to a Presbyterian church now.

I can look for the other posts / threads about this if you're interested.

I've asked to discuss the article which is linked in the OP. Anything else is off topic.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
IIRC the other posts / threads have discussed the same article, but ok.

They haven't discussed it from the perspective of this particular group, in my memory.

From the SoP:

A few things to know about what Presbyterians believe:
  • We hold the Scriptures to be in absolute authority and the final rule in faith and practice. Subservient to the Holy Bible, we subscribe to the Westminster Standards as containing a faithful summary of Biblical teaching.
  • We hold to the Doctrines of Grace as embodied by the TULIPacrostic: Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace, and Perseverance of the Saints.
  • The history of salvation is worked out through various covenants between God and man. These covenants are commonly called the "Covenant of Creation" or "Covenant of Works" and was made with Adam. God then made another covenant, commonly called the "Covenant of Grace", wherein God promised to fulfill the conditions of the original covenant Himself and provide for the salvation of His fallen people.
  • We believe the type of church government most faithful to the Scriptures is a plurality of elders at all levels chosen by the people. (Acts 20:17; Phil. 1:1; 1 Tim. 5:17-20)(Acts. 6:1-6; 14:23).
  • We hold to infant baptism (paedobaptism).
  • We believe in the "five solas" of the Protestant Reformation: Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Sola Gratia, and Soli Deo Gloria.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
IIRC it's been discussed in Christian Apologetics, Christian Ethics (think that's what the area is called) & a few different Catholic sections that I think have similar SoPs, but maybe not in this specific area with that specific SoP, so OK. I just thought you might find other discussions interesting, but you don't, so I won't search them out for you like I offered. :) Carry on.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
IIRC it's been discussed in Christian Apologetics, Christian Ethics (think that's what the area is called) & a few different Catholic sections but maybe not in this specific area with that specific SoP, so OK. I just thought you might find other discussions interesting, but you don't, so I won't search them out for you like I offered. :) Carry on.

Too many who have discussed the topic on CF do not look to scripture first and foremost, when attempting to address this issue. Those who hold to the SoP distinctives of this group (should) have a very high regard for scripture, which is why I wish to discuss this here.

Upvote 0

ProgressivePresbyterian

Social Worker
Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
✟8,023.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Transgenderism, or gender dysphoria, is a mental condition with which one can be diagnosed. I am a practitioner in a field where this is relevant. You cannot change biological sex - this is no secret. However, cosmetic surgery is available to change the primary sex organs of the person diagnosed with this condition, which is the recommended treatment for gender dysphoria, should the person desire it. In all cases, the patient's right to self determination is affirmed.

Hormone replacement therapy, "sex change" surgery, etc. is largely outside of the budget of most transgender folks here in the USA. I have always questioned practitioners who advocate for these changes, rather than helping the patient find peace within their own biological sex. If gender is truly just a social construct, "all in the head", then biological sex should not matter. But then, I have never experienced gender dysphoria so I cannot speak to that experience.

It's my understanding that all people are made in God's image and likeness - why seek to change? Why tell people they are not fulfilled until they have completely changed their bodies? I question this logic because of my faith (and my own logic), and this is why I refer people elsewhere who have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Too many who have discussed the topic on CF do not look to scripture first and foremost, when attempting to address this issue. Those who hold to the SoP distinctives of this group (should) have a very high regard for scripture, which is why I wish to discuss this here.
i wouldn't touch this thread with a 497 1/2 foot pole. My wife (who actually has some expertise in this matter) attempted to do so, and her post was pulled...i'm not as 'nice' a person, and that would probably upset the little buttercups who uncritically accept whatever pseudo-science is currently pushing as dogma.

Upon review, i have discovered that this was a copy of the thread that you posted earlier. My wife has not commented on this particular one.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
i wouldn't touch this thread with a 497 1/2 foot pole. My wife (who actually has some expertise in this matter) attempted to do so, and her post was pulled...i'm not as 'nice' a person, and that would probably upset the little buttercups who uncritically accept whatever pseudo-science is currently pushing as dogma.

Upon review, i have discovered that this was a copy of the thread that you posted earlier. My wife has not commented on this particular one.

The truth upsets lots of people. Does that mean we should never seek it or speak it?

However, you are correct. The snowflakes are appeased here just as the have been elsewhere in society, and free speech has suffered for it.

The doctor makes sound arguments, not the least of which is that it is impossible to change one's sex. Too bad we can't discuss these ideas from a Christian perspective.

Upvote 0