Rolf Ernst

Apr 13, 2004
✟1,350.00
Faith
Calvinist
michaelmonfre said:
I Recommend Reformed People To Read Books On John Owen.
I Go To An Assemblies Of God Church And Have Looked For Spiritual Warfare Books And Found Out That John Owen Books Are The Best. His Books Deal With The Nature Of Sin.

I Just Bought Another John Owens Book Because I Can't Resist.
There is a 16 vol. set of his works. Christianbook.com or Banner of Truth will have them and they are cheaper by the set. Owen's work is considered among the best. One of his most appreciated is The Death of Death in the Death of Christ.

Upvote 0

Defcon

------ Dr. Greg Bahnsen
Sep 14, 2005
✟17,065.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I highly recommend anyone who wants to know about Limited Atonement to read The Death of Death in the Death of Christ. I am about 75-100 pages from the end. Limited Atonement was the one point that I had the toughest time comprehending and an even harder time defending. However, after reading through most of this book, I have such a wealth of knowledge concerning this topic that any question I had has been removed. I got through about 20 pages and started journaling main points through the first part of the book - which helped tremendously. As I've gotten into the second part on the specific arguments and refutations, I haven't written much but to record what page number the specific point is located. I can't say enough about how much the Holy Spirit has grown my understanding concerning Christ's atonement as a result of reading this work of John Owen.

Upvote 0

McWilliams

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Texas
✟15,077.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
This week I printed off J.I. Packer's Introduction to John Owen's The Death of Death! Wow! Before I was halfway through it I was back online ordering Owens book and reading reviews! This introduction is breathtaking in presenting what is going to be unfolded and proven and I can hardly wait to try to digest this great book!I so hope to read some comments here from those who have already read this book as I actually fear it may be too scholarly and/or deep for me to wade through. I so want a sound understanding from scripture on this bold doctrine and figure this is certainly a good place to find it!Please add your thoughts and comments on this!Soli deo gloria!

Upvote 0

McWilliams

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Texas
✟15,077.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
GrinningDwarf said:
Wow!! Just this afternoon I ordered Death of Death in the Death of Christ from CBD, and now here I find an Owen thread! Cool! I should have the book Friday, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Now that is a real comfort! If I have questions while reading through mine(very likely!) I know just who to ask! My copy also should arrive this week! I did learn that reading that intro by Packer is a far cry from reading the book! We'll see. I'm really looking forward to reading it after reading other of his works!

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2003
Centralia, WA
Visit site
✟261.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Greetings!

I agree John Owen 's books are great. Our men's group just finished a study on putting sin to death and used Owen's "Of The Mortification of Sin in Believers" and are now studying temptation and reading Owen's "Of Temptation: The Nature and Power of It" GREAT STUFF!

There is a new book out called "Overcoming Sin & Temptation" that I highly recommend. It consists of three of Owen's classic works on sin.

Okay now I have a question off the topic but I figured you could help. Why is it that I can not cut and paste into the text on this forum?

In Christ,

MC

Upvote 0

xapis

Soli Deo gloria!
Jul 1, 2004
Lambsburg, VA
Visit site
✟10,964.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2005
SE
✟24,268.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Greetings!

I agree John Owen 's books are great. Our men's group just finished a study on putting sin to death and used Owen's "Of The Mortification of Sin in Believers" and are now studying temptation and reading Owen's "Of Temptation: The Nature and Power of It" GREAT STUFF!

There is a new book out called "Overcoming Sin & Temptation" that I highly recommend. It consists of three of Owen's classic works on sin.

Okay now I have a question off the topic but I figured you could help. Why is it that I can not cut and paste into the text on this forum?

In Christ,

MC

A group of us at church just finished the "Overcoming Sin and Temptation" book and it was awesome.

I am clueless about your cutting and pasting problem. :confused:

CC&E :tutu:my ballerina daughter insisted that I put that icon in

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums