Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

John Oliver, host of HBO's Last Week Tonight, has offered Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas a million dollars a year, out of his own pocket, plus a luxurious motor coach, to resign from the Supreme Court.

Do you think Thomas will take the offer? Or will Harlan Crow counteroffer?

-- A2SG, hope he takes it...that's a nice motor home.....

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oliver made the offer to Thomas during the premiere of season 11 of Last Week Tonight and said he had spoken to legal experts who told him that making such an offer was not against the law.

Kinda shocked that this isn't against the law.

None the less, I think the people who cheer on Oliver for these sorts of stunts would be labeling it very differently (and likely calling it an attack on democracy or assault on democratic norms) if conservative personalities started making the same kinds of offers to left-leaning public officials.

Perhaps some of these late-night comedy personalities are feeling that they have to grasp at unique "PR stunt -type" tactics to maintain their ratings with Jon Stewart back at the helm for The Daily Show.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oliver made the offer to Thomas during the premiere of season 11 of Last Week Tonight and said he had spoken to legal experts who told him that making such an offer was not against the law.

None the less, I think the people who cheer on Oliver for these sorts of stunts would be labeling it very differently (and likely calling it an attack on democracy or assault on democratic norms) if conservative personalities started making the same kinds of offers to left-leaning public officials.

Perhaps some of these late-night comedy personalities are feeling that they have to grasp at unique "PR stunt -type" tactics to maintain their ratings with Jon Stewart back at the helm for The Daily Show.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm surprised this isn't considered attempted bribery, but I guess it's no different than offering somebody a job, which happens all the time.

It's kind of an interesting proposition for Thomas. He'd get a lot more money by accepting the offer, but he'd lose all of his prestige, which means he likely couldn't buy his way back into those social circles.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Jimmy It

Dec 4, 2023
Southwest
✟112,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He's a comedian. He makes a good salary behaving foolishly.
John William Oliver is a British and American comedian, writer, producer, political commentator, actor, and television host. Oliver started his career as a stand-up comedian in the United Kingdom. Wackypedia

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Actually, this kind of stunt is something Oliver has done before. Not long ago, in fact, he mounted a massive online campaign to have the
pūteketeke named "bird of the century" in New Zealand through an online poll. It worked, too.

Stunts are kinda his thing.

-- A2SG, has Thomas said anything yet?

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That won’t happen.
Probably not. I think Harlan Crow will outbid him. He's got more to lose with Clarence Thomas off the bench.

-- A2SG, in my oh so very humble opinion.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, this kind of stunt is something Oliver has done before. Not long ago, in fact, he mounted a massive online campaign to have the
pūteketeke named "bird of the century" in New Zealand through an online poll. It worked, too.

Stunts are kinda his thing.

-- A2SG, has Thomas said anything yet?
My favorite stunt was the back and forth he had with Russel Crowe where Oliver bought at auction Crowe’s Gladiator codpiece and put it on display at the last remaining Blockbuster and, in return, Crowe donated a bunch of money to a facility that researches syphillis in koalas so they’d name the lab after Oliver.

• Haha
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking the same thing. I'm surprised this isn't considered attempted bribery, but I guess it's no different than offering somebody a job, which happens all the time.

It's kind of an interesting proposition for Thomas. He'd get a lot more money by accepting the offer, but he'd lose all of his prestige, which means he likely couldn't buy his way back into those social circles.

I would think a better use of such a lucrative monetary offer (from the Democratic perspective - since it's evidently legal) would've been to (back in 2014) make an offer to RBG to retire when she was 82-83 so that Obama could've appointed someone else to take her spot instead of Trump getting to do it.

One of the risks that comes with those lifetime judicial appointments is that once you get up in the 80's, there's no 100% guarantee you're going to make it until there's another another person from "your side" at the helm again to appoint your replacement.

As crooked at as Clearance may be, he's not a dumb guy, he's probably done that mental calculation of "If I step down now, Biden appoints my replacement, if I wait a few months down the road, there's a chance Trump will win again and then I can safely step down"

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As crooked at as Clearance may be, he's not a dumb guy, he's probably done that mental calculation of "If I step down now, Biden appoints my replacement, if I wait a few months down the road, there's a chance Trump will win again and then I can safely step down"
There's the dilemma. I didn't watch the segment, but I imagine the offer is only good while Dems have the White House and the Senate. His choice would be between $1m/yr forever or doing good for the cause.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There's the dilemma. I didn't watch the segment, but I imagine the offer is only good while Dems have the White House and the Senate. His choice would be between $1m/yr forever or doing good for the cause.
The offer is good for one month only.

-- A2SG, Oliver thought of that...

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It is at least a possibility: 18 US Code 201 prohibits public officials from accepting bribes or gratuities to influence their Government actions. The question is whether retirement is a "government action". Arguable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Youd know thats precisely the point if you watched the episode. Its not about "fixing" the conservative / liberal balance of the court. Its about highlighting the corruptibility of supreme court justices, with Clarence Thomas being the prime example.

(And so getting RGB to leave would have been completely beside the point. As a political matter youd be right. But this is about corruption.)

Upvote 0