✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
smiley_emoticons_lehrer.gif
...... why don't you give us a link to what your reading so we'll all be on the same page.

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Brother, here's a link to a discussion about Servetus from CF past :) I cannot express things any better than Cajun Huguenot and Dr.Steve did in this discussion on the issue. From all sides, the thread is quite interesting. ;)

C.S. Lewis through Dr. Steve said:
It is a good rule, after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between. If that is too much for you, you should at least read one old one to every three new ones............. Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Brother, here's a link to a discussion about Servetus from CF past :) I cannot express things any better than Cajun Huguenot and Dr.Steve did in this discussion on the issue. From all sides, the thread is quite interesting. ;)

Thank you, I will most certainly have a good look at what they are saying.

Upvote 0
A

aniello

A friend of mine just saw this thread and called, he won't ever sign up or make his own comments here so he bugs me to. He knows I have been leaning quite toward Calvinist beliefs. So he says: "Ani, go google 'Pope of Geneva'. ". I gather that he has turned up something negative, or so he thinks, that's my guess. I would rather not.

Has anybody a clue to what he is referring to? Not to criticize him but his church is a sort of user-friendly comfort zone country club thing IMO.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is the tactic used when one can't actually disprove or refute the argument of another. It is called a red herring. It is a diversion to take the focus off what is truth in order to paint the truth in a bad light. What John Calvin did or din't do has absolutely no bearing on whether what he taught was truth or not. To say that what he taught must be untrue because he may have done some things that we might not approve of is intellectually dishonest and decietful at the very least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's not about what Calvin says, but what the Bible says. Whether Calvin murdered or not has no bearing on what the Bible says. It should cause us to question Calvin's teachings, according to 1 John, but it doesn't mean that we completely rule out everything he said either. E.G. If a false teacher (I'm not making an accusation, just an example) teaches that Jesus Christ was God incarnate, but then goes kidnaps, rapes, and murders someone, then is prideful of what they've done, we do not say, "Well, then Jesus wasn't God incarnate because so-and-so taught it and was a hypocrite."

I believe it was Rich Mullins who said: "God spoke to Balam through his ass, and God has been speaking through asses ever since."

Should it cause us to question what we believe? Yes. Should it cause us to be concerned about taking everything Calvin says as the Word of God? Yes. Should we then deny everything Calvin taught? No.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In certain circles, lies, half truths and total fabrication are acceptable as long as they paint calvinism in a bad light, attacking John Calvin is just one of the methods used. Get your history from real historians and not internet hacks.
Those who use such tactics are called politicians. ;)

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's not about what Calvin says, but what the Bible says. Whether Calvin murdered or not has no bearing on what the Bible says. It should cause us to question Calvin's teachings, according to 1 John, but it doesn't mean that we completely rule out everything he said either. E.G. If a false teacher (I'm not making an accusation, just an example) teaches that Jesus Christ was God incarnate, but then goes kidnaps, rapes, and murders someone, then is prideful of what they've done, we do not say, "Well, then Jesus wasn't God incarnate because so-and-so taught it and was a hypocrite."

I believe it was Rich Mullins who said: "God spoke to Balam through his ass, and God has been speaking through asses ever since."

Should it cause us to question what we believe? Yes. Should it cause us to be concerned about taking everything Calvin says as the Word of God? Yes. Should we then deny everything Calvin taught? No.
Just the parts that rob us of our own sovereignty.;)

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0

Communion

unplugged for awhile
Feb 5, 2007
USA
✟15,544.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He's the same as Luther and Zwingli and the Catholic Popes ~ they considered us (baptists, though back then we would be classified as anabaptists) as heretics since we practiced believer's baptism. Why would I read from someone that thinks we're heretics? Works fine for the Presbyterians and Lutherans and Reformed but then we aren't them...or maybe we are.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He's the same as Luther and Zwingli and the Catholic Popes ~ they considered us (baptists, though back then we would be classified as anabaptists) as heretics since we practiced believer's baptism. Why would I read from someone that thinks we're heretics? Works fine for the Presbyterians and Lutherans and Reformed but then we aren't them...or maybe we are.
Because he has some very profound things to say according to the Spirit and light given him? I am no great fan of John Calnvin but I do have and do read his works. Just like men such as ( pick your favorite Arminian author) he has some good and some bad but we take the meat and spit out the bones.

Upvote 0

Communion

unplugged for awhile
Feb 5, 2007
USA
✟15,544.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Because he has some very profound things to say according to the Spirit and light given him? I am no great fan of John Calnvin but I do have and do read his works. Just like men such as ( pick your favorite Arminian author) he has some good and some bad but we take the meat and spit out the bones.

Some of those bones get caught in my throat..think I'll select another dish.

It's kind of tough being baptist in that we've only technically been around for what..300 years? Maybe not a lot of depth historically to work with.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some of those bones get caught in my throat..think I'll select another dish.

It's kind of tough being baptist in that we've only technically been around for what..300 years? Maybe not a lot of depth historically to work with.
Then you perhaps miss a good meal because you are too picky.

I don't happen to hold to the English Separaist theory of Baptist history. I hold to the spiritual kinship view. We have been around much longer than 300 years.

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

What about John the Baptist? He was around in Jesus' days. ;) I'd say we have a head start compared to all the other Christians considering Jesus said no one born of women is greater than John. Sooo... scratch all others from the list (save Jesus). :p

Upvote 0