Lombard
✟10,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Am I the only one who has ever wondered what Christ was writing on the ground here?

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.”

Am I the only one who has ever wondered what Christ was writing on the ground here?
One of the more amusing theories I've heard is that He was writing their (Pharisee's) sins in the dirt.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin413
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

It’s most likely not actual scripture, so I don’t worry about it.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Can do ask why you think this incident is fictional?
There are many older manuscripts that don’t include this story, and others that have it in different book. Plus, it interrupts the flow of John’s story.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the more amusing theories I've heard is that He was writing their (Pharisee's) sins in the dirt.
Why amusing? I think it is exceedingly plausible,
since the issue was to trap Jesus between Roman law and Biblical law, on death by stoning,
since they left one by one, the older ones first (indicating the order of his exposures), and
since thereby Jesus would have turned the tables on them, exposing their sin as they had exposed the woman's sin.

It's the perfect divine take down. . .I'm liking it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Benjamin413

Jul 25, 2021
Lombard
✟10,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
since the issue was to trap Jesus between Roman law and Biblical law, on death by stoning,
since they left one by one, the older ones first (indicating the order of his exposures), and
since thereby Jesus would have turned the tables on them, exposing their sin as they had exposed the woman's sin.

Not sure he would have done that though. Doesn’t seem like something Jesus would do. Publicly posing someone else’s sins, even though that is what they were doing to her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What you described is why it's amusing. I like it too.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not sure he would have done that though. Doesn’t seem like something Jesus would do. Publicly posing someone else’s sins, even though that is what they were doing to her.
It didn't have to be "public" if he did it of the man nearest him, it being visible only to the one near Jesus, as they left one by one.

It's not the only time in the gospels that he turned the tables on those who were trying to trap him, and trapped them.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you mean publicly exposed someone's sins, there were times when He exposed sins . . . by telling the Pharisees they were hypocrites, among other possibilities.

And He exposed people's unforgiveness.

Even so > if He was writing sins, possibly only each one guilty of one of them would have realized it was about him. And the Holy Spirit could have convicted each one, as appropriate, though others around Jesus might not know who was guilty of what.

But do people have other ideas about what Jesus was writing?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe > the first time He wrote >

"You are committing adultery with her, by how you are looking at her, right now!!"

And the second time >

"If you really felt adultery is wrong, you would have brought the man."

I never thought of that before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, God did write in stone in the time of Moses.

And now we see Jesus writing in sand. Sand can be an image for mankind . . . people as numerous as sand on a beach.

Jesus now desires to write in many people.

Jesus wants what He writes to be in many hearts.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What did Jesus write on the ground in John 8?

John 4:14 says,

"...the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."​

John 7:37-39 says,

37 "In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)"​

This relates. We can know what Jesus was writing in the ground when the Jews tested him in regards to the woman caught in the act of adultery by looking at other Scripture. By Scripture, we see a reference to the LORD [Jesus], the fountain of living waters [the Holy Spirit].

Jeremiah 17:13 says,

"O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD [i.e. Jesus], the fountain of living waters [i.e. the Holy Ghost]."​

Note 1: The words in brackets in light blue (above) is my commentary to the text.

Note 2: Words in bright red are references to the Holy Spirit. Words in green is in reference to the Tree of Life, the door (wood, tree), who is Jesus.

Note 3: In the words in the above verse, you will notice that they (the Jews) that were accusing Jesus in regards to the woman caught in the act of adultery, their names were written down in the earth. This is what Jesus was writing in the Earth. Jesus was writing down the names of those who had forsaken the Lord. I highlighted the words in purple above in Jeremiah to show that their names written in the earth as we behold in the scene in John 8.

Note 4: We tie this together because of the words, "the LORD, the fountain of living waters" in Jeremiah 17:13 is tied to John 7:38 that says, "out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water."

Again, John 7:38 says,

"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water."​

Here is the scene with Jesus writing in the ground with the Jews in regards to the woman caught in the act of adultery:

John 8:4-6 says,

4 "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. "​

What is interesting is that the very previous chapter (John 7), we are told that anyone who believes in Jesus out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. Yet, in Jeremiah 17:13, we learn that this fountain of living waters is what these Jews rejected and their names were written in the ground because they forsaken the Lord.

So yes. It's true.
John 8 belongs in your Bible (despite some Christians saying otherwise).
The testimony of the whole of Scripture confirms this.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So yes. It's true.
John 8 belongs in your Bible (despite some Christians saying otherwise).
The testimony of the whole of Scripture confirms this.
It doesn’t. Any cursory research will show it. Even the internal reading does. Just skip it and see how the text flows without it. It is an odd fit.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To all:

There are two lines of thinking. There is the...

Thinking Type #1: (Which teaches): “Let's believe scholars and or let us try to figure out what the Bible says primarily in dead languages we do not know” vs.

Thinking Type #2: (Which teaches): “There is one pure Word of God out there (that clearly stands above the rest), and lets not try to change or alter it; This Word should be our ultimate guide and not what scholars say.”

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
To all:

There are two lines of thinking. There is the...

Thinking Type #1: (Which teaches): “Let's believe scholars and or let us try to figure out what the Bible says primarily in dead languages we do not know” vs.

Thinking Type #2: (Which teaches): “There is one pure Word of God out there (that clearly stands above the rest), and lets not try to change or alter it; This Word should be our ultimate guide and not what scholars say.”
Those aren’t mutually exclusive views.

Upvote 0