• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

John 5: Jesus At The Pool Bethesda

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Minister Monardo, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Minister Monardo

Minister Monardo I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.

+1,355
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    John 5:
    Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years.
    6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been
    a long time, He said to him, Do you want to be made well?
    7 The sick man answered Him, Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when
    the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.
    8 Jesus said to him, Rise, take up your bed and walk.

Is The lord dealing with Faith vs Superstitious Beliefs here? The narrative describes
    those lying about the porches as impotent, blind, lame and paralyzed, waiting for
    "the water to move". Any one of them would have needed some assistance to enter the pool.
    Every time a strong enough gust blew through the Sheep Gate, the water would have been stirred,
    and someone would have stepped into the pool first. If they were not healed, they
    would say, "it was just a breeze". If they were healed, they would say "an angel had stirred
    the water". If this miracle occurred, would this more likely to be understood as a Faith healing? Jesus
    commanded the man to rise, and he did. Would not Jesus normally say,
    "your Faith has made you whole."? Yet, the narrative of John describes the background information as casually as "see Jack run".

:4 For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had.

Is there any other source that speaks of this type of miracle taking place around the pool
    of Bethesda, or is this a narrative about Faith in action?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,514
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    No. The Scriptures state that an angel would stir the water and whoever stepped in first would be healed. It is a fact, stated in the Gospel. There is nothing suggesting it was a superstitious belief.
    Your imagined scenario of the wind moving the water and people not being healed is not supported by the biblical narrative. People with infirmities were there and remained there because people were being healed exactly as stated in the Gospel. If healing was not taking place, no one would be waiting there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Minister Monardo

+1,355
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    The Gates of the Sheep and Lion

4. RickReads

RickReads Well-Known Member

+377
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Some scholars believe the pool was used as a mikveh. The power of Jesus was unique tho. No one but Him had God the Father within. That was the source of the miracles of Jesus per His own testimony in the book of John. The Father "doeth the works".

5. Minister Monardo

+1,355
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Based on the Biblical narrative then, were they healed by the angel, or by Faith? That is the question proposed by the OP.
    In other words, did the angel heal, or did the angel just stir up the water?
    Jesus asked the man if he wanted to be healed. He answered saying he had no one to assist him.
    Therefore he had no hope of being healed in this manner, yet he was there. What was his hope?

6. Minister Monardo

+1,355
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Jesus Heals a Centurion’s Servant
    Matthew 8:

5 Now when Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, pleading with Him,
    6 saying, Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented.
    7 And Jesus said to him, I will come and heal him.
    8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof.
    But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed.
    9 For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, Go,
    and he goes; and to another, Come, and he comes; and to my servant, Do this, and he does.
    10 When Jesus heard, He marveled, and said to those who followed, Assuredly, I say to you,
    I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!