Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father."

What does this verse mean? When have people done greater works than those attributed to Jesus in the book of John? (Or any of the canonical gospels.)

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father."

What does this verse mean? When have people done greater works than those attributed to Jesus in the book of John? (Or any of the canonical gospels.)
This typically has one of two answers:
1. It could mean that "he who believes in me" will end up bringing hundreds/thousands of people to a saving knowledge of Christ. This would be a greater work than Jesus did.

2. It could mean that "he who believes in me" will have a much greater sphere of influence than Jesus did. Jesus was confined to a relatively small area of the world, whereas the disciples traveled far and wide to spread the Gospel. They therefore performed greater works than Jesus did.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This typically has one of two answers:
1. It could mean that "he who believes in me" will end up bringing hundreds/thousands of people to a saving knowledge of Christ. This would be a greater work than Jesus did.

2. It could mean that "he who believes in me" will have a much greater sphere of influence than Jesus did. Jesus was confined to a relatively small area of the world, whereas the disciples traveled far and wide to spread the Gospel. They therefore performed greater works than Jesus did.

But that doesn't sound like what he is saying. You know that.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What does it sound like He's saying to you?

It sounds like miraculous works. If all that we can do is speak the same words that another man supposedly said, that is not miraculous.

It would be like forwarding an email and believing that God would be pleased with that because it was a "great work".

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like miraculous works. If all that we can do is speak the same words that another man supposedly said, that is not miraculous.

It would be like forwarding an email and believing that God would be pleased with that because it was a "great work".
That's an interesting viewpoint.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are the greater works that Jesus’ followers are to perform? D. A. Carson (The Gospel According to John [Eerdmans/Apollos], p. 496) argues that the greater works are those done on the basis of Jesus’ death, resurrection, and exaltation. The greater works point to the power of the gospel to transform lives as it spread through the apostolic witness. Through Peter’s preaching on the Day of Pentecost, 3,000 were born again, probably more than Jesus saw converted during His entire ministry! The Book of Acts tells how the message kept spreading, first around Jerusalem, and eventually to the Gentiles around the Roman Empire. J. C. Ryle succinctly observes (Expository Thoughts on the Gospels: on John 14:12, p. 67), “There is no greater work possible than the conversion of a soul.”

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Well, the apostles spread Christ's Gospel across the entire Roman world. So there's one.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

There's nothing in the context to suggest that it's referring specifically to miraculous works. The context is, ultimately, that Christ will send the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit in His Church (represented by the apostles) will continue on in Christ's ministry for the world. The Church, carrying on Christ's mission, to proclaim the good news of God's kingdom. This the Church does through the administration of Word and Sacrament, clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, providing medical care to the sick, tending to the poor, the orphan, and the widow, etc.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟829,144.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I agree with you and Cloudyday2 brings up the added point: " It seems like "because I go to the Father" must be an important clue."

Prior to the first Pentecost after the cross, no one had received the great gift and power of the internal Holy Spirit. The indwelling Holy Spirit only comes after Christ leaves. Prior to Christ leaving earth, people did have temporarily a portion of the Spirit that might include "miraculous" gifts, but not the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
Today all Christians should be involved in allowing Christ to live through them and gifting others with the indwelling Holy Spirit as they accept God's Love.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi Radhead,

When Jesus said they would do greater works He may not mean quality, but quantity. In other words they would do more works than He did. What miracle could be greater than raising the dead? I don't think there are any. Jesus' ministry was only about 3 1/2 years, whereas the ministries of the apostles were much longer. John's ministry lasted almost 60 years. He could do a lot of miracles in that time. Peter and Paul both had ministries of about 30 years or so.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Sounds to me like he's bailing on his responsibilities, and leaving to go kick it with himself/daddy.
Jesus' identity is "the lamb slain from the foundation of the world". He came to die. In the meantime, he gave an example of how a human can live when completely submitted to the will of the "Daddy". He did everything he came to do.

Upvote 0

Athée

Jun 11, 2015
✟39,486.00
Faith
Humanist
Quick question. Is there a statute of limitation on the "people who believe in me" section in this verse. Most comments so far have focused on the apostles or early church (bling's comment being the exception that extends it to today). If indeed this is meant as a timeless truth we run into a problem. Surly not every single believer since the time of Jesus has done more in quality than Jesus did but also it seems obvious that not every believer in Jesus since that time has done more in quantity than Jesus either. Was Jesus wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' identity is "the lamb slain from the foundation of the world". He came to die. In the meantime, he gave an example of how a human can live when completely submitted to the will of the "Daddy". He did everything he came to do.
Good on him, then.

Upvote 0