• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Job blackend

Discussion in 'Exposition & Bible Study' started by TruthSeekerNSF, Aug 9, 2017.

1. TruthSeekerNSF

TruthSeekerNSF Newbie Supporter

+4
    Christian Seeker
    In Relationship
    I don't quite understand a point in Job 30:28. " I go about blackened, but not by the sun;", what does this sentence represent? Does that mean Job's skin got blackend naturally caused by some sickness or bad nutrition taking? Or does that refer to that blackened skin for a fair skinned man without burning by the sunlight is a sign of demon-possession? Also, in Chinese version of the Bible, Job says " my face has been blackened, but it's not due to being illuminated by the sunlight", which was translated by myself literally though. What should the original meaning be?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sarah G

Sarah G Human bean. Supporter

+1,082
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Married
    Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
    28. I went mourning Better perhaps, I go blackened, not by the sun. The reference is to his appearance from his disease: he is black, but his blackness is not due to the sun, comp. Song of Solomon 1:6.

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
    (28) I went mourning without the sun.—Rather, I go mourning without the sun; or, according to some, “blackened, but not by the sun.” We give the preference to the other.

Job 30:28 Commentaries: "I go about mourning without comfort; I stand up in the assembly and cry out for help.

Black moods. Feeling very dark. As Morrissey sang: I wear black on the outside, because black is how I feel on the inside. He wasn't referring to being transracial but to his dark, emo, depressive, mournful nature.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Well-Known Member

+4,400
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    He has covered himself in ashes; a sign of mourning and/or repentance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. TruthSeekerNSF

TruthSeekerNSF Newbie Supporter

+4
    Christian Seeker
    In Relationship
    Sounds reasonable. Is that from acknowledged hermeneutics or from your assumption?

5. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,262
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    There are alternative translations:

"I go about mourning without comfort; I stand up in the assembly and cry out for help. (NASB)

I went mourning without the sun: I stood up, and I cried in the congregation. (KJV)

(H6937 - qadar קָדַר) a primitive root; to be ashy, i.e. dark-colored; by implication, to mourn.​

Of the seventeen times it's used in the OT, 6 times it's translated mourn in the KJV. It can also be translated 'dark', probably due to the fact that sackcloth and ashes were symbolic of mourning and grief. The prophets often wore sackcloth and ashes, thus the grief over sin. The two witnesses in Jerusalem that preach for 3 1/2 years are wearing sackcloth and ashes.

Grace and peace,
    Mark

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Sarah G

Sarah G Human bean. Supporter

+1,082
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Married
    Edit wrong thread sorry!