Jihad-Good or Bad? Whatever the United States government decides.

BlueSubmarine

Oct 19, 2002
✟304.00
During the 1980's, the Soviets were fighting a war in Afghanistan. Muslim solders, who called themselves the mujahideen<I></I>(soldiers of God), fought against the Soviets. We supported the mujahideen because they supported our agenda: resisting the Soviet Union. There is even a video where a US agent tells the soldiers that "your cause is right, and Allah is on your side. You are fighting for your homes and mosques." We supported jihad <I></I>then, but now that it has turned against us, it is the worst thing a religion can conceive. CNN made a documentary "Soldiers of God" on the subject. I would post a link about it if my computer could get to CNN.

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not that it was just some arbitrary choice though. The Soviet Union was much more of a threat to the US at the time. In retrospect maybe training and equiping them was not the best choice, but as they say hindsight is 20/20. Do you want to tell us you saw the current situation comming way back in the 1980's? I doubt anyone saw it comming two years ago, let alone twenty.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Hmmm. I do not think it is that hard to think of at least some of the possible consequences of arming a large group of religious fanatics and then abandoning and betraying them ...

But people may well have made the decision anyway - a few thousand dead at the world trade centre may well have been considered a price worth paying for the&nbsp;defeat of the soviet union in afghanistan, even in hindsight.

Upvote 0

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
Originally posted by MSBS
I doubt anyone saw it comming two years ago, let alone twenty.

Did the US see the problem when they armed Iraqi's in the Iran-Iraq war? How about when they armed Colombians to try to fight the "war on drugs", only to have those Colombians form their own cartel?
And now it seems to be happening again...

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/10/19/us.iraq.dissidents.ap/index.html

Do you see a pattern yet?

Upvote 0
These are events in which the US government sought a politically end in a situation where there would be no great loss of American lives. The results of these activities have only prolonged the inevitable. Soon we will be forced to place many American lives at the door of war's death. Soon the enemies we will face will possess the weapons that will kill thousands in a single blow. Prepare yourselves there is no way to stop these coming wars. Peace, but not yet.

Upvote 0